July 1971 FJ40 body, Nov 1974 motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What the heck? What a mysterious gasket. šŸ˜

I will definitely look.

What the heck? What a mysterious gasket. šŸ˜

I will definitely look.
Definitely evidence of a gasket but it protrudes just a under a mm out the front and back.

looking at the pic in post #8 and the second pic in post #1, there is no sign of the hump that is the oil galley going from the rocker pedestal to the head bolt which makes it an F head

Note the keyhole in the gasket. With the F.5 (and 2F I believe) this is where the oil travels over to the head bolt, then up around the bolt, through the diagonal hump in the head then up into the pedestal.

When the gasket gets flipped, or if you have the wrong gasket, the oil hole in the block is blocked off and the oil flow stops there.

With your F head, thereā€™s no way for the oil to get from the head bolt to the rocker pedestal so any gasket changes wouldnā€™t help.

F5 Gasket.jpg

And if you do change gaskets, select which one to use wisely. Thereā€™s a thread here where a guy has just the opposite of you. An F engine with an F.5 head. He said using a key holed gasket would cross connect the oil and cooling system. ā€œHereā€™sā€ that thread.

And if you do change gaskets, select which one to use wisely. Thereā€™s a thread here where a guy has just the opposite of you. An F engine with an F.5 head. He said using a key holed gasket would cross connect the oil and cooling system. ā€œHereā€™sā€ that thread.
We need to trade heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom