Events/Trails July 16-18 Club Camping Trip to Gold Lake, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Q3 Club Camping Trip to Gold Lake with Toyotally Awesome Cruisers - RSVP on our club website.
When
: Friday July 16, 2021 @7AM for Caravan
Trailboss: TBD
Where: Little Gold Lake, CA
Meet Up: 7AM Caravan Friday Morning at Chevron Verdi, 2100 Boomtown Garson Road, Verdi, NV 89439
Travel Time: 1.5 Hours via Hwy 89
What to Bring: 2M HAM radio, camping gear, recovery gear, food/drink for 3 nights. It gets cold in the mountains, so bring cold weather gear too. Camera. Fishing gear, swimming gear. No showers, possibly toilets (currently out of service). I'd BYO wipes/showers, and porta potty and be prepared to pack out your solid waste.
Frequencies: 146.460 alt 146.052
|
RSVP on our Website!
|
Details
Gold Lakes is picturesque! There are tons of trails for all skill levels as well hiking, biking, fishing, swimming, etc. Come enjoy the great outdoors! Here's some details on the region if you want to learn more. You are welcome to meet us at camp if you'd rather not caravan. @hairy_apple may go up on Thursday to try and snag a campsite and I may join him as well. If we cannot get the one near Little Gold lake, then we will fallback to the OHV camping area.

If you plan to make a campfire (uncontrolled open flame), then you will need to get a campfire permit.

Trail Scale

1621449546921.png

2021-05-18_22-34-41.png

Last edited:
I highly suspect we'll have fire restrictions in effect by then unfortunately. I have a propane campfire we can use, not quite the same, but better then sitting around a flashlight. lol

If you have never been to the Lakes Basin, it's amazing. The Sierra Buttes are quite possibly the most beautiful place I have been in California. I would take them over Yosemite honestly. Gold lake OHV and Little Gold lake camp sites are awesome. The OHV camp site is right on Gold lake, but the trail runs right through them, not a lot of privacy. Little Gold lake is just off the main trail, you can walk to Gold lake, and it's a much nicer spot to camp, although much smaller. I will try to get up Thursday and claim the little Gold lake sites, but if not, we'll take some of the OHV sites and they are amazing too.

We will base camp at Gold lake, and can go on runs to the different areas. Snake lake/Oakland Pond is rock crawling. There are some rough dirt roads with some minor obstacles. And a lot of scenic dirt roads. A little of whatever you want to do. We'll for sure have to visit the old fire lookout. Google pictures of Sierra Buttes fire lookout, it's likely the most well known on in CA, and for good reason. It's absolutely insane up there. It's sitting on a 400 foot cliff below. Incredible views all around.

I will attach some photos tonight when I get home, but this area is amazing. This will be a very fun trip. There are dozens of little lakes, tons of hiking, fishing, wheeling, ohv routes, mountain biking, etc here. Lots of cool mineing relics in the area too.

Seems like Beckwourth fire close enough to Gold Lake to cause problems for this event.

I'm planning to take Friday off for this trip.

Good! 70 West will probably be closed due to the fire so we need to figure out if we wanna meet and head out together on the 80 or around Tahoe to Truckee.

I'm still hoping to get up there early tomorrow.

Larry

Oh no Larry! I hope you didn't go. We got booted out by the forest service for camping in a day use area (not clearly marked AT ALL).

Wait, you guys got hassled for camping near Little Gold Lake? When did it become a day-use area?

Apparently from the dawn of time and no one knew... #communists

Wait, you guys got hassled for camping near Little Gold Lake? When did it become a day-use area?
The forest nazt said it has always been that way, but then later told us (they sat and watched up trying to repair a transfer case for 3 hours) that it was his first season there... so I tend to not believe he really knows that camping has been allowed there before.

I did look at the sign on the way out, the TINY sign, not right next to the road in. It's there, but you would have to be looking for it. It also looks like it's about the area behind the sign, not Little Gold.

I am kind pissed. I love that area, but no dispersed camping in all of Plumas NF is lame. I have no interest in camping in campgrounds with a bunch of yahoos most of the time.

The forest nazt said it has always been that way, but then later told us (they sat and watched up trying to repair a transfer case for 3 hours) that it was his first season there... so I tend to not believe he really knows that camping has been allowed there before.

I did look at the sign on the way out, the TINY sign, not right next to the road in. It's there, but you would have to be looking for it. It also looks like it's about the area behind the sign, not Little Gold.

I am kind pissed. I love that area, but no dispersed camping in all of Plumas NF is lame. I have no interest in camping in campgrounds with a bunch of yahoos most of the time.

Pumas NF site has a page on dispersed camping stating that is allowed in certain parts of the forest... but then the list of locations is blank. Seems to me they made an abrupt change of policy.

The sign at the OHV area looked unofficial and was not pointed in the right direction for me to think that it applied to the area we were in. It all seemed half assed to me.

Wait, are you telling me the Gold Lake 4 x 4 campground is now a day-use area only or just no dispersed camping around little gold lake?
Gold Lake 4x4 campground is good to camp. Little Gold lake you are not allowed to camp at anymore. Which sucks.. it was a great camp site.

The FS cop told me NO dispersed camping is allowed in Plumas NF at all... however, I think he's full of crap. He was a real hardass at first.. he mellowed a bit, and later said it was his first season in Plumas, which makes me wonder if he really knew what he was talking about or not.

Pumas NF site has a page on dispersed camping stating that is allowed in certain parts of the forest... but then the list of locations is blank. Seems to me they made an abrupt change of policy.

The sign at the OHV area looked unofficial and was not pointed in the right direction for me to think that it applied to the area we were in. It all seemed half assed to me.
Yeah, I looked at it on the way out, and did see it, but it certainly looked like it was talking about that side of the road, not down the OTHER road, 200+ yards away. If you wanted people to know it was a day use area, what is wrong with a sign at little gold lake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom