Judith River Club Run June 26, 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This official Club run will be headed up the Middle Fork of Judith River near Utica, MT. The trail runs into the Middle Fork Judith River Wilderness Study Area (appropriately named!) within the Little Belt Mountains. The Club hasn't run this trail in several years, and many of us have it on our bucket list. This is an absolutely beautiful area of MT.

Each of our official club runs are designed to be flexible. You can run one long day (Saturday) or come out Friday night and camp and enjoy a leisurely monring on Saturday before airing down. Also, you can choose your own adventure and stay after the official club run and explore some more...It's up to you. The official run ends after Saturday's adventure.

Details:

Where:
Trail head is near Utica, MT (roughly 3 hours from Bozeman). We are going to meet Friday night for those who want to camp and leave from roughly the same location on Saturday morning. We will circle the wagons here CAMPING SPOT (46.85224, -110.30512) for camping. Saturday morning trail meetup and trail start is here TRAIL START (46.85318, -110.30788). The two points are only a few hundred yards apart. Camping at the exact point may not be possible if another group/person is there. But there are several camping spots very close by to accommodate our group. So look for the group. We'll make every effort possible to be obvious. Post up if you're arriving late, and we'll keep the lights on for ya. ;)

When:
Friday night
for camping, roll up anytime you like.

Saturday Morning: We are going to start the trail at 10am... please note, that means we are heading down the trail at 10am, not starting to kick tires and air down. We will start the trail at 10am sharp, please plan accordingly. Due to the nature of these trips, the group size and trail conditions it is hard for us to guarantee we will keep to the plan. If you want to ride with the club on Saturday be there on time.

Trail/Vehicle Requirements:
This is a moderate trail with many river crossings. Trail is an out-and-back approximately 8 miles one way. Water levels vary with storms and runoff, but we're expecting the water depths to be manageable without snorkles or special equipment. But no guarantees. Be sure to drive within your own ability. It is advised that vehicles should stick to the main river crossings and not choose side routes without testing the water depth (there are a few deeper holes about). Please have your rig ready for the trail, don't bring a project truck that hasn't been proved and be ready for a long day of driving. Below is the route we are shooting for... as always trail conditions may vary and we may alter the route accordingly.

The two snapshots below both have Judith Guard Station Cabin in lower right for reference.

1623943547477.png

1623943623893.png

Other Details:
Coms: CB Channel 4 and HAM 146.460
Gas up as close to the campsite as possible (gas up in Eddie's corner from the North (46.98292, -109.74518) or White Sulphur Springs from the South. If coming from the South, you can take the Judith River Backcountry Drive and end up very close to the trailhead. Or take that scenic drive on your way home.
Bring you own food, water, supplies for camping etc.
We are a family friendly club so bring the fam along.
Well behaved dogs are welcome.
This is a driving trip, but there should be places for short hikes and photos and splashing in the water. Bring your camera.
Remember you live in MT... plan for cold evenings and hot days and possible rain/snow/hail/blizzard/wind/blazing heat/fires at any moment. :)
Forest Fire season is here early this year. Be responsible.

That is about it. Feel free to post up any questions here. If you want to convoy down to the trail post up that too.

So who is in!? I am hoping to leave Friday afternoon.

Here’s who’s in!

Camping Friday

@90WT Black LX470
@BluMoose Blue Taco
@ttFJC (90%) FJC with strips
@nohermosa White FJ60
@406Camper Sand Taco
@James Hartly (with fixed AC)

Leaving Saturday
@Boondocker_153 White FJC

Last edited:
I have a cracked CV boot I noticed yesterday and replacement is scheduled for Thursday, so as long as that happens I'm in. I will be there Friday night for camp. Pete

Anybody going to wagon train?
I'm trying to roll out of Bozo around 3, but pulling a trailer so speeds are 65 mph for me. Planning on highway route to get to camp, dirt road routes on the way home Sunday.

This official Club run will be headed up the Middle Fork of Judith River near Utica, MT. The trail runs into the Middle Fork Judith River Wilderness Study Area (appropriately named!) within the Little Belt Mountains. The Club hasn't run this trail in several years, and many of us have it on our bucket list. This is an absolutely beautiful area of MT.

Each of our official club runs are designed to be flexible. You can run one long day (Saturday) or come out Friday night and camp and enjoy a leisurely monring on Saturday before airing down. Also, you can choose your own adventure and stay after the official club run and explore some more...It's up to you. The official run ends after Saturday's adventure.

Details:

Where:
Trail head is near Utica, MT (roughly 3 hours from Bozeman). We are going to meet Friday night for those who want to camp and leave from roughly the same location on Saturday morning. We will circle the wagons here CAMPING SPOT (46.85224, -110.30512) for camping. Saturday morning trail meetup and trail start is here TRAIL START (46.85318, -110.30788). The two points are only a few hundred yards apart. Camping at the exact point may not be possible if another group/person is there. But there are several camping spots very close by to accommodate our group. So look for the group. We'll make every effort possible to be obvious. Post up if you're arriving late, and we'll keep the lights on for ya. ;)

When:
Friday night
for camping, roll up anytime you like.

Saturday Morning: We are going to start the trail at 10am... please note, that means we are heading down the trail at 10am, not starting to kick tires and air down. We will start the trail at 10am sharp, please plan accordingly. Due to the nature of these trips, the group size and trail conditions it is hard for us to guarantee we will keep to the plan. If you want to ride with the club on Saturday be there on time.

Trail/Vehicle Requirements:
This is a moderate trail with many river crossings. Trail is an out-and-back approximately 8 miles one way. Water levels vary with storms and runoff, but we're expecting the water depths to be manageable without snorkles or special equipment. But no guarantees. Be sure to drive within your own ability. It is advised that vehicles should stick to the main river crossings and not choose side routes without testing the water depth (there are a few deeper holes about). Please have your rig ready for the trail, don't bring a project truck that hasn't been proved and be ready for a long day of driving. Below is the route we are shooting for... as always trail conditions may vary and we may alter the route accordingly.

The two snapshots below both have Judith Guard Station Cabin in lower right for reference.

View attachment 2706172

View attachment 2706173

Other Details:
Coms: CB Channel 4 and HAM 146.460
Gas up as close to the campsite as possible (gas up in Eddie's corner from the North (46.98292, -109.74518) or White Sulphur Springs from the South. If coming from the South, you can take the Judith River Backcountry Drive and end up very close to the trailhead. Or take that scenic drive on your way home.
Bring you own food, water, supplies for camping etc.
We are a family friendly club so bring the fam along.
Well behaved dogs are welcome.
This is a driving trip, but there should be places for short hikes and photos and splashing in the water. Bring your camera.
Remember you live in MT... plan for cold evenings and hot days and possible rain/snow/hail/blizzard/wind/blazing heat/fires at any moment. :)
Forest Fire season is here early this year. Be responsible.

That is about it. Feel free to post up any questions here. If you want to convoy down to the trail post up that too.

So who is in!? I am hoping to leave Friday afternoon.

Here’s who’s in!

Camping Friday

@90WT
@Stryder03
@BluMoose
@ttFJC (90%)
@nohermosa

Leaving Saturday
-
I'm in for Friday evening!

@Boondocker_153 Gonna join us this weekend? Have you been up there before?
I believe so, I will be heading up Saturday morning. I have not been on this trail before but I have heard great things about it.

I believe so, I will be heading up Saturday morning. I have not been on this trail before but I have heard great things about it.
Watching YouTube videos now from 2017. So stoked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom