Judgement Call Poll (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Yesterday I noticed an early eighties CJ-7 parked next to me that was missing its steering stabilizer, it had the remains of a bracket but no "shock". To me this seems rather dangerous. Not neccessarily for around town driving but definitely for any 40mph+ turning. I left the guy a note on his Jeep explaining that the stabilizer was missing (not a nasty-gram or anything) and that I would feel guilty if I didn't say something. I mean the guy could kill himself or others if something went haywire.

Question:

Was it acceptable to do this or was I sticking my nose in others business?

Its probably better to maybe piss him off then not tell him and he die on the way home.

danger

When turning at high speed w/o a steering stabilizer (or a worn out one) you can experience wobble like on a skateboard because the front tires are on two different arcs the inside radius is different than the outside radius. The stabilizer dampens the stresses created by this dynamic. If the wobble is undamped, it increases until either you crash or a wheel pops off then you crash. At least thats my understanding of it. Any more knowledgable explanations anyone?

Sorry. I don't buy it either. If the steering is built /adjusted properly you shouldn't need a stabilizer. They just mask problems.

I see it helping if there is a problem but, not saving your life.

Compared to all the other linkage stuff the steering stabilizer is not that critical. It can help "smooth" the ride. Maybe the CJ7 owner did not have one by choice. Sometimes they will mask neglected maintainance, but you can certainly drive without one...

you shouldnt need one if everything is good, but they dont hurt anything.

to answer your Q: IMOP you did the right thing, i mean if he didnt know he might check it out, and if he did he prolly just called you a @#%*! and crumpled the note.

Last edited:
1. its just a band-aid for a worn out steering system
2. it helps with bump steer, but if your steering is done right you shouldn't have bump steer
3. if your rig has a death shake like mine does, it should be the last thing you think about

just my .02

You did the right thing. When we bought our FJ62, that thing felt like it was floating on the highway. Very scary. I replaced with one from OME and that made a huge difference. Well, that and some new Gabriel shocks.

bonzai: Look at your front diff, there should be a shock there, bolted to your tie rod and to the diff housing in horozontal position.

most cars and trucks(older) didnt come with a steering stabilizers, fj40+ has always had em.

I really don't think its dangerous is the rest of the steering is on good spape.

bonzai the stabilizer on your pig will be attached to the frame crossmember at on end and the tie rod at the other. right up under the engine splashguard.

If this is a poll make it apoll. I think the votes will be cast.

As many have already stated a stabilizer is a cheap way to cover a problem in the steering. If you have a problem with "death wable" do a search and you will find the proper fixes. So if this is a poll and you want to know what people think I say you don't need a stabilizer if your componets are properly maintained and adjusted.

To answer your question about the wheels needing to turn at diffrent spedds that task is handled by the diff. As far as steering the system is designed to handle this situation.

If I got a note telling me that one of my LCs had a bad or missiing stabilizer I would assume that the author needed to do his homework.

E

Thanks

Well Guys,

Thanks for the wide array of responses. I feel like even if I overjudged the importance of the steering stabilizer, I did no harm in pointing out that the
guy didn't have one. Without arguing over the actual need for one, I would say
that letting someone know a part is missing on their rig is a good thing. After all,
I have no idea what kind of shape the rest of the front suspension and steering is in. It could be horrible for all I know. Furthermore, If I lost a part on my truck while fourwheeling and didn't notice its absence, I would want someone to tell me.

In the 40 I have 2 helps with the death wobble at speeds over 80 mph.The pig is fine without one.Both have sagnaw boxes on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom