JT outfitters front disc bracket used on rear of 82 hj47 troopy?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ehyo! so doing some things to get my 82 hj47 troopy inspected for registration here in Canada after coming from australia. it has a h55f in it so there is no parking brake. so I need to do a disc conversion in the rear to get the parking brake. I know I know, parking brake will barely or not work. yeah yeah, I have lived with the P brake on my 89 trooper for 7 years so nothing new. I really just need it to pass the inspection. If it holds the car at all ill be happy.

I also know everyone hates aftermarket conversions. I can tell you the mote carlo brakes will be better then the reman isuzu callipers. seized for every pad change ugh. I will be doing a toyota conversion for the front when the parts make themselves available. but I need to do this swap in the rear and I have not really heard of any oem toyota parts swap for the rear of this truck.

THE REAL QUESTION IS: so when i called JT to ask about the bracket and kit for the rear of this truck he told me that i needed a FRONT DISC BRACKET FOR THE REAR, and that I would have to drill all new holes for it. I'm kinda regretting not getting the brackets from redline now but I have what I have. anyone else with an 82 hj47 done this conversion with the front brackets on there rear? was it seamless aside from drilling new holes? I really dont want to tear everything apart and find out this is nonsense. Im doing this conversion this Saturday so if you've done this, Id love to hear about it!

I thought 80+ had the parking brake integrated in the rear drum. Is that different for non-NA spec?

I thought 80+ had the parking brake integrated in the rear drum. Is that different for non-NA spec?
Im not totally sure but I do know that this axel and drum set up does not. the parking brake on this one was on the tranny, and there is no set up for cable actuation on these drums.

picture of your rear axle? full float rear axle?

picture of your rear axle? full float rear axle?
s***, sorry, forgot to mention that, yes, full floater. 4 bolts on the drum backing plate. I can get a pic later but its the standard pattern that matches redlines an other bracket makers "check this matches first"bolt pattern.

hmmmm, that one has 8 bolts. Unless those 8 holes are hidden somewhere (have not dissasembled yet). but I dont think so after having watched several rear hub rebuilds on cruisers with the 4 bolt backing plate. The Front Plate that I got from JT does have 8 holes like that one you linked though.

8 bolts up to 1980, after 80 they went to 4. Why not source a drum ebrake for the transfercase? You have the handle. Might be tight with the 5 spd( cross member) or a disk ebrake might fit.

01CE7016-FB63-4ED7-A26C-E33AD31D244E.png

8 bolts up to 1980, after 80 they went to 4. Why not source a drum ebrake for the transfercase? You have the handle. Might be tight with the 5 spd( cross member) or a disk ebrake might fit.

View attachment 3077947
i thought about that at the start as something super cheap an quick. but its not cheep and it hangs waaay too low. this truck is going to get uuuuuuuuused, an it needs the flattest bottom possible. I want the benefits of discs as well.

So here are the backing plates on my troopy, and a pic of the back of the diff too. Ive also included a pic of the dust seal with the bolt pattern laid over the disc bracket. that is the best position to drill new holes. you can see the bottom right hole interferes with the one of the original holes so I think ill hae to fill it and then drill.

JTO has said they have done this lots of times, man would I love to hear from someone that has done it.

Thanks for any insight :)

P8040938.JPG
P8040940.JPG
P8040941.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom