JT Outfitters Disc Brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doin a disc brake conversion all the way around my 74 FJ40. I got the front driver side done everything spun freely till I put the stock wheel back on. It will not turn. I grinded down the caliper put 1/4" wheel spacers and still won't turn. I'm thinking it's something with the brake pads where they haven't been plumbed or bled yet. Any others this happen to?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398833958.372449.jpg

Posted via IH8MUD app

Do you have welded or riveted rims? If they're riveted, the rivet heads will interfere with the discs. Toyota still sells FJ40 steel wheels if you need them.

Does it turn if you use lug nuts to hold the disc to the hub?

Sounds like rim interference with Calipers.

Have you changed masters? Removed residual valves from stock one?

I have. I've grinded down the calipers the hub spins fine without the wheel on. Even with the wheel on it spins until I tighten it down. I even have a 1/4" spacer in there and still not getting free spin.

Posted via IH8MUD app

a 74 will have welded rims

AFAIK the change over was in the 74' model year.... rivited to welded rims
My mistake, I assumed it was 76 when disc brakes were introduced.

Yeah it's welded. I got it to turn it's not easy but it's where the pads already are in contact with rotor once I get em plumbed and bled it should work fine! I'll keep y'all posted

Posted via IH8MUD app

If they're still dragging after they're bled, I'd file/grind the pads down a bit to ensure you don't overheat the rotors or glaze the pads while wearing them down a bit.

Had a similar problem. Ended up because of the wrong sunrasia rims. Petrol rims or something. Don't think this helps you but may help some one else.

If they're still dragging after they're bled, I'd file/grind the pads down a bit to ensure you don't overheat the rotors or glaze the pads while wearing them down a bit.
Hopefully the caliper will position itself better on the sliding pins and allow for it to fix itself. (Fingers crossed)

Posted via IH8MUD app

Hopefully the caliper will position itself better on the sliding pins and allow for it to fix itself. (Fingers crossed)

Posted via IH8MUD app
That's what I'm hoping for but I did the right the same way and it was fine it is just the left. I did hit the hub a bit too hard to seat it into the housing..... Oops

Posted via IH8MUD app

a 74 will have welded rims

AFAIK the change over was in the 74' model year.... rivited to welded rims

Any lit or documentation backing this?

I have owned 1974 and 1975 trucks with hub caps and riveted wheels...

The original spare rim I have with my truck... It is welded... It is stamped 11/74

There has been two other 74's earlier than mine that also had welded... There's were stamped same build month as their truck... Just as my build date is 11/74

I believe I had checked 2pdf's

Cruiserbrett? I think has a stamped set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom