1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jt outfitter pwr steering $$

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dylan, Feb 9, 2004.

1. dylan

dylan

is the full kit from jtoutfitters a good price? it comes with either new or remaned box, pump, lines and brackets for 900 beans. i know some will say "i got my steering done for $50" or something, but i'd have a hard time finding some of this stuff in my small town (the lines, good used box and pump)

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Got a linky link?

3. dylan

dylan

4. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    That seems about right for a re-man gear, mounting bracket, pump, hoses, etc. I would ask if it includes the PS pump mounting bracket too, as it is not called out in the list of goodies...

I am certian that you could find things for a bit less monies, but it all comes down to how deep your pocket book is, your willingness to pay for convienence, and your patients.

Good luck!

-Steve

5. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

just for your info. A reman'd sag pump is like 60 bucks here SW PA. I got a good box at the pick and pull. Just stumbled onto it (literally) for 12 bucks. Hoses were there and i took it to a local hydraulics shop and they built me new lines for the sag to toy box. it was cheap and the jto's braket worked great. the pump braket was a homebrew. hardest part was swapping the pitman arms. what a fugger

6. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
  7. dingo

dingo

that price is a joke, I got my pump and bracket for free, they're a dime a dozen.

8. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=dingo link=board=1;threadid=11262;start=msg102156#msg102156 date=1076371606]
    that price is a joke, I got my pump and bracket for free, they're a dime a dozen.
    [/quote]

Good for you!

9. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11262;start=msg102136#msg102136 date=1076369534]
    This makes that job very easy...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro....D=2223541&Cat_NAME=Pullers&store=snapon-store

Good luck!

-Steve
    [/quote]
    yeah, i broke one of those trying to get it off and then i took both boxes to a place that works on heavy trucks. the guy there said they were a pecker but he got them popped off. Got a free, brand new tool to replace the one i broke tho

10. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    You broke a Snap-on pitman arm puller?

11. AnthroCruiser

AnthroCruiser

dylan -

I considered the JTO kit for some time, and decided against it. I got a reman. Saginaw pump for $20, i got a used PS box from one of the boards for $10, and rather than mess around with smog pump brackets or home-fabbed, I bought the brackets from Bill Dorry here on the boards... he makes good quality stuff and its cheaper than JTO. Also, the JTO PS bracket attaches to the head bolts, and that seems shady to me, I like Bill's design better.

I just have to find myself a pulley and I'll get it all put together. Heading to the junkyard tomorrow.

-Anthro

12. RHINO

RHINO

$900 is alot of cash, not saying too much just a wad of cash for anything. if its all bolt-on and you just put it all together, maybe its worth it to you. i was able to fab all my own brackets and it didnt cost much $$ just alot of time.
    if you could collect all the parts and just buy the two brackets i would think you'll be in it for about $3-400 tops. but it'll take more input on your end.
    do whats comfy for you.

13. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=AnthroCruiser link=board=1;threadid=11262;start=msg102320#msg102320 date=1076384482]
    dylan -

I considered the JTO kit for some time, and decided against it. I got a reman. Saginaw pump for $20, i got a used PS box from one of the boards for $10, and rather than mess around with smog pump brackets or home-fabbed, I bought the brackets from Bill Dorry here on the boards... he makes good quality stuff and its cheaper than JTO. Also, the JTO PS bracket attaches to the head bolts, and that seems shady to me, I like Bill's design better.

I just have to find myself a pulley and I'll get it all put together. Heading to the junkyard tomorrow.

-Anthro
    [/quote]

Got a link or e-mail, or other contact info? I was not able to find a Dorry out on the list..

PM me please.

Thanks!!

14. racerdave

racerdave

Here is the same kit for $600, http://cruiserparts.net/parts/new/steering.html

I got my bracket from wdorry on this board and found the rest of the parts locally. Total - $200, including $40 I still owe Bill.

Find a fab shop that works on Toyota trucks. They will have gear boxes that truck owners have ditched in favor of the IFS box. I made the call the day before my box was going to be thrown away.
    Bill's work - http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wdorry/vwp?.dir=/PS+brackets&.dnm=P0002517.jpg&.view=t

15. AnthroCruiser

AnthroCruiser

Poser -

Bill Dorry's email is here: wdorry@yahoo.com and you can check out some pics of his brackets here : http://photos.yahoo.com/wdorry (hope you don't mind me re-posting these, Bill, I pulled your info out of a thread during a search originally). Even his brackets (which are very nice) are going to be significantly more expensive than if you do it yourself, but I trust that his are going to work well, and I don't have the time to f*** around with fabbing brackets myself, so its worth it to me.

All things told I'm still only into this PS conversion for about $250.

btw - for a couple of years in the late 70's and early 80's, some of the Saginaw pumps for GM vans had metric fittings, but are otherwise exactly the same. I got one (can't find the part # atm) and it fits the toyota high pressure hose, which is pretty handy.

-AnthroCruiser

16. Advent Horizon

Advent Horizon

I have a couple questions...

1. Does the Dorry bracket allow use of a stock smog pump?
    2. What is the part number of the pulley everyone's using? My understanding is that the standard saginaw pulley is too narrow for the toyota belts, but nobody ever says where to get a larger pulley (at least not in my searching)

17. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

yeah, broke the snap on beatch. the cast portion let loose with considerable force and i landed on my ass.

18. RHINO

RHINO

All things told I'm still only into this PS conversion for about $250

i think i have $32 in mine :flipoff2:

also, nearly every saginaw pump in volvos at the wrecking yard (70's-80's) have metric fittings and a wider pully.