J's Camper Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Squaredrop Micro Toy-Hauler, a mobile gallery and a dirtbike friendly camper....

So, I am getting close to the finish line and wanted to throw up...... some pictures. Also, it would not hurt to explain myself and the objective.

First, this is a test run to get some hair-brain ideas out of my head. The idea was to make a small camper as cheaply and simply as I could that would haul my motorcycle.
I started thinking about it after checking out the InTech Flyer. I thought... "There really isn't much to this thing. I don't have 20k to drop on a camper- but I am single and can weld."

Poof... A case of beer traded for an old trailer and I was off. Here is an early image to give you an idea.
The idea.
1/2 inch square steel tube with 1/2 foam skinned with 5mm underlayment and raptor lined.
- Sound heavy? the 1/2" weighed about 35 lbs.- until the modifications and retro-engineering had to take place.
Garage door in back that doubles as shade
Giant doors on the sides
Drop down bi-fold ramp- doubles as serving table and patio
Discover fun tricks and moves along the way.

Don't break the bank.😬

IMG_7546 bike.JPG

So here is an actual update... and a few progression pics
I am preparing to do the Raptor liner, just waiting for the sealants to cure completely. Very few big jobs to complete (at my perception now), mostly doing final assembly of the doors now.
Skeleton, Flip and Glue the roof, Skinned, Interior, Insulated.
IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9855.JPG

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg

Doors.
Raptor liner will be black and OD green, I Just finished most of the final assembly on the doors- I used plug welds to attach the 22ga sheet and I kindof love it. I am considering a clear epoxy coat on them to preserve the plug weld look. Taking suggestions, otherwise it will get a black coat with heavy texture- as with the rest of the trim.
67418286463__2981E1AF-1125-4EA8-8095-1A6BB02F066A.jpg

Ali just txt me about my wheels..... they are embarrassing, aren't they?
I should have mentioned, I am painfully aware that this trailer is unsuited for the application. I also designed the camper to be removable.

I think I am pushing it even for flat roads with this one. Perhaps without the bike it will be ok?? While I could spend some $ and Time modifying it further- I will likely be fabricating a different one with a new axle. Unless someone has a 50-100$ fix?

Anyone have suggestions on obtaining an axle from a junk yard or other source? It's only a couple hundred for one on etrailer, even with electric brakes.

Regarding the above question... This guy has some serious fabrication chops. Subsequent videos of the project remind me of my own absurdity, It looks like he fabricated the box out of at least 16 ga and 1/8". WOW- that thing has GOT to be heavy.

upgrade.JPG

Last edited:
Ali just txt me about my wheels..... they are embarrassing, aren't they?
I should have mentioned, I am painfully aware that this trailer is unsuited for the application. I also designed the camper to be removable.

I think I am pushing it even for flat roads with this one. Perhaps without the bike it will be ok?? While I could spend some $ and Time modifying it further- I will likely be fabricating a different one with a new axle. Unless someone has a 50-100$ fix?

Anyone have suggestions on obtaining an axle from a junk yard or other source? It's only a couple hundred for one on etrailer, even with electric brakes.
Hmmmmm are those tires rated for highway speeds? If they are just use it right?
If not watch for a crappy pop up camper on Craigslist to rob the axle/tire/wheels and junk the rest

Hmmmmm are those tires rated for highway speeds? If they are just use it right?
If not watch for a crappy pop up camper on Craigslist to rob the axle/tire/wheels and junk the rest

If I bought a crappy pop-up camper I would need physical restraints to keep from trying to renovate it....
Do you have a solution for that too?😬 😂

Regarding the above question... This guy has some serious fabrication chops. Subsequent videos of the project remind me of my own absurdity, It looks like he fabricated the box out of at least 16 ga and 1/8". WOW- that thing has GOT to be heavy.

View attachment 3011867

Justin,

Couple of things come to mind:

If you're building a trailer that'll leave the pavement, I suggest using springs from a Cherokee, FJ60, Ranger truck, or whatever people have laying around in their back yards or at Pick n pull. Do not use utility leaf springs from Harbor Freight or Tractor supply. They're too short and can't handle the cycles of washboards and the occasional "oh $hit" dips on the trails. You will need a "properly valved" and the correct length shocks to match your suspension.

Go decent wall thickness on the frame tubing thickness, if you're building from scratch. 0.120" is kind of an overkill for a "light" duty trailer so maybe 14gauge is better? Gusseting the corners will always keep things tight and square.

Heavy trailers do have an advantage at not destroying the camper box on top. Heavy absorbs NVH (noise, vibration, harsness/harmonics) which means your wood structure will not receive that abuse as much. Additionally, the stiffer the chassis is, the longer lasting your camper box will be. Your box will not appreciate torsional stresses coming from the twisting of the chassis while you go bumping down the trail.

I can guarantee that you WILL go off the beaten path more and more if you are 100% confident in your trailer not vibrating itself apart. :rofl: So, build with that in mind. I know you're still getting your feet wet with this vehicle based camping thing but when you're afforded the freedom to roam, it's hard not to take advantage. It sucks to be limited by your camper when the trail gets rougher. :bang:

If you can haul your MTB, fishing kayak and the bouncy to a remote spot for the weekend where you can indulge in ALL of your favorite activities, how fun would that be?

Anyone who has followed me behind my trailer knows that I tow her like I stole her :rofl:. I air down all six tires and let her rip 'cause I'm losing daylight and I wanna open up a cold one before it gets dark.

Justin,

Couple of things come to mind:

If you're building a trailer that'll leave the pavement, I suggest using springs from a Cherokee, FJ60, Ranger truck, or whatever people have laying around in their back yards or at Pick n pull. Do not use utility leaf springs from Harbor Freight or Tractor supply. They're too short and can't handle the cycles of washboards and the occasional "oh $hit" dips on the trails. You will need a "properly valved" and the correct length shocks to match your suspension.

Go decent wall thickness on the frame tubing thickness, if you're building from scratch. 0.120" is kind of an overkill for a "light" duty trailer so maybe 14gauge is better? Gusseting the corners will always keep things tight and square.

Heavy trailers do have an advantage at not destroying the camper box on top. Heavy absorbs NVH (noise, vibration, harsness/harmonics) which means your wood structure will not receive that abuse as much. Additionally, the stiffer the chassis is, the longer lasting your camper box will be. Your box will not appreciate torsional stresses coming from the twisting of the chassis while you go bumping down the trail.

I can guarantee that you WILL go off the beaten path more and more if you are 100% confident in your trailer not vibrating itself apart. :rofl: So, build with that in mind. I know you're still getting your feet wet with this vehicle based camping thing but when you're afforded the freedom to roam, it's hard not to take advantage. It sucks to be limited by your camper when the trail gets rougher. :bang:

If you can haul your MTB, fishing kayak and the bouncy to a remote spot for the weekend where you can indulge in ALL of your favorite activities, how fun would that be?

Anyone who has followed me behind my trailer knows that I tow her like I stole her :rofl:. I air down all six tires and let her rip 'cause I'm losing daylight and I wanna open up a cold one before it gets dark.
Thanks Ali!
Great info and ideas. The camper really was designed as a "washboard-at-best" piece. The off-road will be version two... in about 100 years when I am ready to tackle this project again! The overall profile and specifically the doors will need to be completely redesigned with weight focus.
V2 will have a very different strategy if it ever happens. This thing was made for an easy access base camp, specifically Ouray.

I would agree on the .120 perhaps with the exception using it as a central spine and building off with lighter gauge.

I am actually entertaining using 16ga. but with a 16ga spline in the middle like I did the Kayak hauler for the Ranger (pics below).

What do the engineers in the bunch think of that??

1653419184559.png
1653419247939.png
1653419305946.png

problem.gif

The trailer's passenger side wheel is splayed out knock-kneed. Not sure if it was like that before or I can just see it better now that I have a 12" tire on it.

Any suggestions?
1) Straighten?
2) Replace?
3) Rebuild?

pics or it didn't happen :rofl:

I think you mean the wheels are now cambered out as seen from the front or rear but a clear pic will help with the visulization.

pics or it didn't happen :rofl:

I think you mean the wheels are now cambered out as seen from the front or rear but a clear pic will help with the visulization.
loose bearings?

It does not wobble when spun. I think part of it is optical but I put a square on it and it is definitely proud at the bottom by say 3/8 to maybe a 1/2? It was pretty hard to photograph.

look at underneath the trailer from the front or rear and see if you notice the axle tube bowing. Typically, the axle tube is bowed upwards so when there's weight, it straightens out and almost become totally flat. I wonder if your axle tube is bowing the other way? Or, I'm totally misunderstanding your explanation!

This site may explain this better than me! https://www.etrailer.com/question-154877.html

look at underneath the trailer from the front or rear and see if you notice the axle tube bowing. Typically, the axle tube is bowed upwards so when there's weight, it straightens out and almost become totally flat. I wonder if your axle tube is bowing the other way? Or, I'm totally misunderstanding your explanation!

This site may explain this better than me! https://www.etrailer.com/question-154877.html
It is a square axle. I did not notice but will check fo-sho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom