Joshua Tree

PabloVTA

beside La Caja China
SILVER Star
We're meeting at the Camarillo park and ride at 6 am Saturday morning, and then the dillon rd and the 10 Chevron at 9 AM.

Joshua tree is an incredible place. In terms of wheeling, this run will be easy to moderate. There will be some challenges... a few rocks to drive around or over, maybe some small dunes to drive on... you can find side diversions for tough challenges. The run will be very scenic, and there's a lot of history in the mining district.

I am planning the run for the weekend of March 24-25. That weekend works best for my schedule, and it puts us a month out from the February Calico run. I don't want to fight Friday evening LA traffic, so I plan to leave early on Saturday morning. There's a lot of places to stay for those of you that would rather head out on Friday.

Here is a regional map of Joshua Tree:

http://www.coastgeologicalsociety.org/docs/jotrmap.pdf

We'll meet at about 0830 on Saturday morning at either the gas stations off Dillan Road (north of the I10), or at the start of Berdoo Canyon. The Dillan Exit is about a 2.5 hour drive from Ventura, and the latitude, logitude coordinates are about 33.716576,-116.170465. Berdoo Canyon Road intersects Dillan Road about 6.3 miles north of the I10, and the coordinates are about 33.799727,-116.185529. Here is a map of Berdoo Canyon Road:

http://www.coastgeologicalsociety.org/docs/berdooMAP.pdf

Berdoo is a rocky canyon with a few bumps in the road. It is easy to moderate in difficulty. Heading up the canyon the views get better with increasing elevation. Before long you have a great view of that main Joshua Tree forested high area, and the road ends at the easy Geology Tour Road:

http://www.coastgeologicalsociety.org/docs/geotourMAP.pdf

The run up Berdoo Canyon will only take a couple of hours. That should put us up in Joshua Tree right around or just before lunchtime. From the geo tour road, we can decide as a group what to do next. We could stop for lunch somewhere scenic, go for a short hike, go caving in a really cool crevice, or just keep driving.

In the afternoon I suggest driving to one of two locations. The first option would be driving out the Black Eagle Mine Road. That road is scenic, with the mountains and mines around, and somewhere there's some small sand dunes to drive up on. That road will take us outside the park boundary, and we can find a good primitive group campsite in a wash or near the mining area. The second option would be to head out to the Dale Mining District. I would prefer to go out Black Eagle on Saturday, and then head up through the Dale area on Sunday. Just depends on what the group want to do. Here is a map of those areas:

http://www.coastgeologicalsociety.org/docs/olddaleMap.pdf

On Sunday we could head north along one of two roads. The easiest way to pavement would be on the Old Dale Road. It's a nice drive, with a few bumps in the way and scenic views. But I would rather head out the Brooklyn Mine Trail, which is more challenging. It is scenic, with lots of old mine structures to explore. There are also side roads if you need a good challenge for your truck. The road itself has some tight and narrow places... a couple that might need a spotter. There's also a long section across a mountainside with no pullouts or turnarounds.

The Brooklyn Mine Trail and the Old Dale Road both end on the 62.

We are planning to meet at the Dillon rd. Chevron Saturday morning.
post up if interested.[/

PabloVTA

beside La Caja China
SILVER Star
Trip Report

uh.....awesome!
7 rigs, no carnage.
~110 miles off road, some pretty close calls with rocks, some high speed sand road (+50MPH) and lots of sweet views.

I'll post up pics once I resize them.

We got to a bunch of different mines, started in Berdoo Canyon, thru the park to intersection rock for lunch, then back out Old Dale Road to BLM land and camped, then back in to Rose of Peru mine and down a pretty cool section to the 62.

that's the short story anyway...

bluto

So. Do you want dilaudid IVP or oxycodone tab?
Cant wait for more.
Mojave Rd and Joshua Tree on the same weekend...no problem deciding - work, work, work.

PabloVTA

beside La Caja China
SILVER Star
yeah man, work sucks....

check out the photo thread on the club's forum.

stellar weather, no carnage, all kinds of driving, tons of taco's, no cell phone reception, clear skiies with stars, and one crazy long shooting star.

good times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom