Jonathan Ferguson's 1985 Toyota Hilux LN65 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Monday, 12 March, 2007

Phil said:
Jonathan Ferguson said:
I bought Biodiesel from SAFF, 286 Boronia Road, Boronia.

Ferntree Gully Road, Scoresby to Glen Waverley, 568 degrees Celsius. - Fifth, to fourth, to third.
Gallaghers Road, Glen Waverley, 585 degrees Celsius. - Fourth, to third, to second.
Do they provide an optimum exhust temp with the gauge and under differnt loads?, can you tune your pump from the imfo you get of your pyro gauge? or it it more about eco freindly driving?
I don't know anything about an optimum Exhaust Gas Temperature. All I'm going to do is turn the Fuel up as much as possible, whist not exceeding 720 degrees Celsius.

Friday, 20 April, 2007

Jonathan Ferguson said:
This morning I received Rancho RS5143 and 0-500kg load Leaf Springs. $700.00
Rear Suspension has now been replaced.

Saturday, 28 September, 2007

Jonathan Ferguson said:
Just got off the Phone(0011 1 360-893-0235), 30 Spline Longs are on their way. US$800.00
The Longfields arrived this morning. Total cost $945.93

Sunday, 30 September, 2007

bad_religion_au said:
Jonathan Ferguson said:
Jonathan Ferguson said:
Just got off the Phone(0011 1 360-893-0235), 30 Spline Longs are on their way. US$800.00
The Longfields arrived this morning. Total cost $945.93
AUS or US dollars? including shipping???

s*** that's a bargan and a half... now where did i put that last credit card application form
Delivered by USPS in just under four days.
Overall cost was indeed $945.93 including a FOREIGN CURRENCY TRAN FEE of $13.98 on my National Australia Bank American Express.

I've also spent $269.00 on stuff from Marlin.

Friday, 9 November, 2007

The Car is now back together, the 30 Spline Longfield longside axle was an absolute mongrel to get in.

New parts include, Marlin's super duper Inner Axle Seals, Bobby's 30 Spline set, Disc Brakes Australia DBA154S(L/R) Slotted Rotors, Wheel Studs, Spindle Bushes, Wheel Bearings, Ferodo DB288Z Thai Brake Pads, AVM Free Wheeling Hubs and Don Kyatt's SH3.

Don Kyatt
AVM Free Wheeling Hubs AVM421 $198.00
Steering Knuckle Kit SH3 $88.484
Spindle Bushes 90999-70067 $54.45 for two
Wheel Bearings WBK2 $86.218 for two
Cartridge of Grease FHC $22.275 for three
Tub of Grease FH2.5K $34.65

Repco
Left Rotor DBA154SL $114.00
Right Rotor DBA154SR $114.00
Anaerobic Gasket Goo Loctite 518 $30.99

Super Cheap Auto
Brake Pads DB288Z $39.99
Cartridge style Greasegun $52.49

Toyota Dealership
Wheel Studs TO-9094202053 $60.72 for twelve

Marlin Crawler
Front Axle Outer Snap Ring MC-12108 US$3.02 for two
Spindle Nut Kit MC-12004 US$17.00 for two
54mm Hub Socket MC-17100 US$19.95
Shifter Socket MC-10078 US$6.00
Heavy Duty Shifter Seat MC-10077 US$10.00
Heavy Duty Front Inner Axle Seal MC-12149 US$14.98 for two
Freight UPS Worldwide Expedited US$142.70

Terra
30-Spline Chromoly Super Set 30SPU US$645.00
Freight USPS US$155.00

Friday, 21 December, 2007

Well, today I was planning on getting an Optima Red Top 34, but they didn't have any in stock. I was recommended an Exide Orbital, received good customer service and product knowledge, so that's what I got.
Any Power Batteries $320.00

I also didn't want an Australian made Battery, this one was made in Spain.

Friday, 21 December, 2007

Daz said:
so you are all ready to come wheeling again net year 8)
Yes

scottp said:
The Orbital is a sealed type?
Yes

scotto said:
And curiousity - why not an Aussie battery?
In the past five years I've had to buy three Batteries, and they all lasted less than two years each.
I put an Exide Extreme in my BJ40.
I put a Bosch Silver into the Hilux, then an Exide Extreme.

Saturday, 2 February, 2008

Back on Wednesday, I ordered my second iCOM IC-400PRO $388.00 from Prestige Communications, and I received it on Friday. Also yesterday I installed it, and today all I had to do was wire it up. It works.

Sunday, 3 February, 2008

Guts said:
John, wish I had seen this sooner, why did you go AVM hubs?
Because they're cheap and I get good customer service at Don Kyatt in Moorabbin.

Guts said:
The stock hubs are way stronger.
I'm not a believer.
In my experience the Cone Washers promote Hub Stud bending, because the Cone Washers don't need to be precisely fitted into the Hub body's chamfer. Also, there is a gap between the Hub mounting surface and the Cone Washer on the Studs of a few mm, and the Cone Washer only covers 8mm of the Stud compared to the AVM which supports 13mm of Stud immediately from the Hub's surface.

Guts said:
You should at least carry the stock hubs with you when you go 4x4ing.
I do now carry spare Free Wheeling Hubs, they're Mile Markers I got from Summit Racing.

Friday, 15 February, 2008

Whilst the Car remains inoperable, I rebuilt the Brake Calipers with new Pistons and Seals.

As Don Kyatt's Internet Site is lacking in detail on the Pistons, I'm listing this 'ere to help others in the future.
Small Piston JB8520 Get four of
Big Piston JB8519 Get four of
Seal Kit 04479-30031

Thursday, 19 June, 2008

I fitted all new Hub Studs this afternoon, and I completed installing the Mile Marker hubs. - Hopefully I have better luck this time.

Saturday, 26 July, 2008

I've had a new Filter housing sitting around for about two years, and I bought a new genuine Filter from Toyota a few months back. The Filter screwed onto the Housing just fine, but the new Filter housing wouldn't mount to the original Bracket, so I removed the 10mm Studs, elongated one of the holes and used 8mm Nuts, Bolts and 5/16" Washers.

Another problem is that in the new setup the Water Sensor mounts from the underside of the Filter, but the original Water Sensor is too long and has a different size of Thread. I first tried sourcing a new Water Sensor from Toyota, which was initially said to be available and cost $190.00 + Tax and take 3-4 weeks to come from Japan, but I was later informed that it was nolonger made. Then I tried all the Nippon Denso dealers here in Australia, from the mobs that did reply they said that the part was only available through Toyota dealers. Next I got back in contact with the Toyota Dealer to find out the Part Number, which is 8446130040, with this information I scoured the Internet and found it available in Ukraine, so I asked my Russian Friend about it. Finally I asked cdan if that part was somewhere in the American dealer network.
Last resort was to make an adapter on the Lathe, which is what my Uncle did for me. Image The overall length is 82mm, but I don't recall what the Thread sizes are.

Fuel-Filter,26-July-2008,DSCF0480,640x480.jpg

Horn Relay Terminals
30: Red Wire, connect to a powered source when the Ignition is on.
85: Black Wire, connect to both Negative terminals in the Clips. - No need to ground 'em.
86: Green Wire, connect to the Positive Clip of the Water Sensor
87:
87a: Blue Wire, connect to the Positive Clip that goes to the Dashboard warning light and alarm.

I've now also replaced all the Fuel lines in the Engine bay with SAE 30R7 made in the USA by Gates, except for the short piece of 5/32" for the Fuel return, which runs from the Fuel rail to the Injector Pump. - More heartache

Saturday, 13 September, 2008

sierrajim said:
so it's 38hp before or after the tune?
It wasn't tuned, only the Ignition Timing was adjusted.

Saturday, 13 September, 2008

Yesterday when I was driving home I noticed a white mark on the CB Antenna, I thought it may have been unwashed degreaser, but nope, they've stripped the Powdercoat off. Another repair I'll have to make and another workshop gets listed on Jonathan's list of non recommended suppliers.

Monday, 22 September, 2008

Jonathan Ferguson said:
Yesterday when I was driving home I noticed a white mark on the CB Antenna, I thought it may have been unwashed degreaser, but nope, they've stripped the Powdercoat off. Another repair I'll have to make and another workshop gets listed on Jonathan's list of non recommended suppliers.

The idiot also blasted the sticker off the Fusebox cover. Why don't people take pride in their work these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom