Joining the family (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm joining the family again! I used to own an 1986 FJ-60, and have always wanted to own another. Now I do, 1999 LC 116,000, basicly one owner, rear locker, stock, checked out the service record and i think I got a good deal.

I have plans to make it a little more trail worthy, but nothing more than some new tires, raise the front to match the back, remove the running boards, air bags for towing, etc... but that all has to wait until the funds arrive.

Thanks

Beantown
IMG00157-20100218-1818.jpg

Congrats, welcome to the dark side and good luck with holding back on mods :cool:

Congrats, welcome to the dark side and good luck with holding back on mods :cool:

x2...most of us said those exact words just a few years ago. You are exactly 100k behind me...I just hit 216k yesterday. :cheers:

Congrats and Welcome!!

Nice looking truck!

Now you can get a sigline ...

I picked up a similar 99 Cruiser last month and am going through the exact same checklist you are. New tires go on tomorrow and hopefully running boards come off.

Has it had the 90k service done? One quick fix that is not obvious until you check it out is the tailgate retention wires. It sounds like most rust and break - might want to check that out before you put any weight on it.

Yes it has had its 90,000 miles service/timing belt... and all of the other services that it has needed. Most recently has had the valve gaskets replaced.

Bigblue99- I do need to get one of the tailgate retention wires, where do I get those? And also I need the hood lifts, where do i get those?

Yes it has had its 90,000 miles service/timing belt... and all of the other services that it has needed. Most recently has had the valve gaskets replaced.

Bigblue99- I do need to get one of the tailgate retention wires, where do I get those? And also I need the hood lifts, where do i get those?

I checked the local dealer and they were $35 per side which is a rip. I'm going to fabricate ones at West Marine tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Everyone on here swears by getting their parts from Cruiser Dan at American Toyota. He has a cult following though it's not a bad idea to get to know the local dealer as well.

I had one break on my LX back in 2004, just six years old. Lexus replaced both sides with new stainless steel cables, free of charge.

The originals were just steel cable, and were known to hold water in the plastic sleeve around them, causing rust and hence breakages. So Lexus changed the part to stainless steel.

So another six years down the track, the replacements are holding up well. Not that you can tell when one is about to break.

Marine grade stainless steel units sound like a good idea. Put the sleeves from the old ones on them, or something similar.

Made some new cables at West Marine today.

The posts accept 5/32 thimbles and I used 1/8" stainless steel line with a nypress (I think this is what they are called) compression end. From the center of one post to the next is 14.5" so you'll want to get the wire cut to 22" and then trim one end.

I got caught up in measuring and fitting to the extent that I left the heat shrink tubing off so I wrapped it in electrical vinyl tape. Between the the tape and the stainless I shouldn't have to worry about this again.

It sill cost about $30 to do it this way but it beats paying the dealership $70.

Nice, good work Big blue! I will do that soon. I think I will do the tape too, but maybe a electrical shrink wrap.

Thanks for the info. I will post more picts soon.

BTW: What are the best/cheapest mods you all did to your LC's?

how much did you pay for the 99 with 116k on the clock if you dont mind sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom