Joined the seized sunroof club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

on the 80, which I assume is similar, it is trivial and very fast (minutes) to remove the actual glass, which helps a lot to check things out. However, dealing with the mechanism if it's locked up is a different story. You may or may not be able to move it by hand and then reattach the glass (best scenario if you're lucky). And god forbid if you have to get into the recess where the glass slides in cuz you'll likely need to remove the headliner which is a big job and fraught with expensive potential damage.

Obviously, if this all happens in rainy weather, it's not good.
Yeah it was totally seized up.

Bought mine with the sunroof seized. I can hear the motor and it tries to move. So I suspect the cables are seized in the guide. No problem, bit of grey silicones till the drains clog up.

I try to avoid sunroofs like the plaque. They will always seize up or leak, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.

It’s just a matter of time for those of us that haven’t gone through this, isn’t it?
pretty much. My wife's 05 LX sunroof still works like day 1. She loves her's so I won't be able to get away with sealing it shut. Plus her 100 is MINT, mine is like an old trusty horse. Little banged up on the outside but looks gorgeous from 10 feet away. My wife's 05 is that pearl white brilliant color, so beautiful, just like her :)

p.s. for an update, I did two coats of flex seal spray. Taped off the window and around the roof. Came out really well for a ghetto fix. For 12 bucks, I'll do it every couple of seasons if I have to.

pretty much. My wife's 05 LX sunroof still works like day 1. She loves her's so I won't be able to get away with sealing it shut. Plus her 100 is MINT, mine is like an old trusty horse. Little banged up on the outside but looks gorgeous from 10 feet away. My wife's 05 is that pearl white brilliant color, so beautiful, just like her :)

p.s. for an update, I did two coats of flex seal spray. Taped off the window and around the roof. Came out really well for a ghetto fix. For 12 bucks, I'll do it every couple of seasons if I have to.
Nah fam. I can’t live like that. I’ll just keep it shut until next summer. Then if it fails, I won’t be under duress to fix it.

I love feeling the wind blow across my bald spot…

Last edited:
Nah fam. I can’t live like that. I’ll just keep it shut until next summer. Then if it fails, I won’t be under duress to fix it.

I live feeling the wind blow across my bald spot…
LOL i hear you on the bald head. I just stick my head out the window like Loyd in dumbndumber

Mine locked up with the rear tilted up about 10 years ago. The glass comes out by prying the inside side trim pieces and exposes 4 hex nuts. I removed the slide/tilt brackets, put the glass back in flush with the roof and permanently sealed it with RTV.

sunroof1.jpg

sunroof2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom