Joined the multi-cruiser club... for now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zcruiser

Needs monitoring
Threads
So here's the slightly-embarrased-to-admit story.... I got my 62 in July of '05 from a guy in VA who had brought it out from Arizona, ending my quest for a RUST-FREE champagne 62 with OME lift. I was in love. It was the coolest truck ever, and I loved driving it... I felt like I could drive over anything (and did a few times just to prove it). Gas mileage sucked, but it wasn't my DD and didn't take premium, so who cares? I've put 6,000 miles on it since then and it's done what I wanted it to do.

Even repairs were fun in a cruiser-head kind of way, rebuilding the starter and replacing the water pump (one-banana stuff, but satisfying). Other than some peeling window tint, Arizona-faded paint, and the obligatory driver's seat foam sag, it has been FLAWLESS.

Well... Here's the view from the rest of the family, including my 16-yo daughter who needs a vehicle... "Ooof! It sure is hard to get up into this thing!" "I don't like the way it steers, it wanders all over the road." "Honey, do you think this thing will roll over if our daughter takes a corner too fast?" "Sheesh, it sure is a bumpy ride back here, I can't even put on my make-up!" (OK, I took some liberties with that last one.) And the final insult.... "I like the rounder cruisers, this thing looks like a station wagon on steroids."

So, my fellow cruisers.... Yesterday I found a stock '94 FZJ80, red pearl, 191K, local owner who picked it up from his mom who bought it new in Raleigh, rust-free, meticulously maintained by the family-owned shop, with (whimper) running boards so the girls can climb in easier and lower to the ground so less chance of rollover. Safety and the whining of my family has won out over the raw cruiser testosterone of the 62. A very sad day (for me).

Here's the new ride, next to my cherry red DD, with the 62 looking puny and rejected in the background.

FZJ80_Z_FJ62.JPG

Please no PM's on the FJ62 just yet... I've already had a few 'mud inquiries which I must honor before it goes in the 'vehicles for sale' section, but I know it will go to a good cruiserhead who will actually get it out and do some real wheelin' with it as opposed to my feeble attempts at manliness. <sigh>

zcruiser_600.JPG

Last edited:
keep the 62 or you will regret selling it...

I say again...Keep the cruiser!

I get the same thing from my girlfriend about the truck wandering/pulling. I dont get how i can drive with one finger and it goes straight and she gets behind the wheel and it steers like crap. At least she loves the truck!

Dont sell the 62, youll never find another one like it.

-Matt

I dont get how i can drive with one finger and it goes straight and she gets behind the wheel and it steers like crap. -Matt

Same with my GF. You have to be a relaxed driver and let the truck almost drive itself. After all the mods on my 62, she still drives straight and true, although the wheel is slightly off center.

Thats too funny. My three vehicles right now are a FJ60, FZJ80, and a 300zx.

Actually looking to dump the 300zx though... not my 60. :)

Thats too funny. My three vehicles right now are a FJ60, FZJ80, and a 300zx.

Actually looking to dump the 300zx though... not my 60. :)

Why? Isn't it color-coordinated with your 80? :flipoff2:

Aren't the 80 series so ugly?! :)

Oh, man, it takes some getting used to... I see 80's everywhere, and having a 62 is just.... cool.

You can't really have too many Land Cruisers. You will never get enough out of the 62 to justify selling, so keep it.

Of all the Cruisers, the 62 is the step-child though. Automatic, but old school suspension. If the 62 had come EFI and 5 speed, it would be a very desirable truck. The 80 is definitely a better truck in every way if you must go automatic.

Congrats-looks like a nice Cruiser.

With 191k on the full time 80, you may be looking at some issues in the future...I'd keep the 62 for a backup at least!

Why? Isn't it color-coordinated with your 80? :flipoff2:

Actually no, it's not, which is one of the major problems with it. :)

I had the 60 up for sale last week, but no bites at the price I wanted to get. During that time I was able to diagnose the grinding coming from the Z while in gear and the clutch released as a bad input shaft bearing or bushing. So the Z, which I got for free a few months ago, is going up for sale and I'm keeping the 60. I never really wanted to part with her anyways. :D

Fj 62's are safe, I hear all the same things from my wife. And then we got hit by a car that ran a stop sign going an extimated 40mph. It did total the cruiser, but I have to tell you the thing turned 180 degrees, there were asphalt marks up to the rim on my sidewall but the thing never tipped over. And everybody (in my vehicle at least) was just fine.

Oh, and as far as your 16 year old daugher being able to flip it over in a corner, unless she has a real death wish she wont enter a corner hard enough to roll it, ive taken mine through corners at 80 before when it was stock and as long as youre smooth with the steering its fine. It kinda rolls a little, sticks the tires, and turns in. It will kick the back end out before it will roll (at least mine did).

-Matt

Key phrase there, Matt... :flipoff2:

Honestly, id be more comfortble being stupid with a firmer, fresher suspension like your OME setup and the larger footprint of 32x11.50s than i would stock. Youre only like 4 inches taller overall than stock, and id be willing to bet overall body roll is better with the OME setup.

Being safe in any vehicle is a lot more dependent on the abilities of the driver rather than the vehicle IMHO.

-Matt

although the wheel is slightly off center.
That's easily fixed with an adjustment of the crosslink from the pitman arm. Loosen the clamps and rotate the rod until the wheel is centered. Might take a few attemps to get it right on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom