Joined the 100 Series Club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been wanting to get a 100 series for a while now, and finally found what I was looking for. Finding one near me in Chicago was almost impossible because everything here over 10 years old is about rusted completely out. After looking at 10-12 I finally found this one that spent its life in Florida and was sold at an auction here and only has surface rust on a few places. I’m working to brush that off and treat it and with fluid film this weekend To protect it from all the salt and moisture we get here. I got this 2001 LX470 with 185k miles 2 months ago and have been busy updating everything that was good and ready! New timing belt and water pump, heater t’s, shocks, other belts and hoses, and today tackled the AHC fix since my globes were shot which made for one bumpy ride. I was only getting 4 graduations between low and high, and am now getting 13. With a little help from the various threads here I was able to replace all 4 globes and do a fluid flush in under 3 hours today and now it’s riding smooth as butter!
74CF57E7-B10D-46C1-B160-B7EDF2F48A35.jpeg

7A3E45AD-5396-4342-86D4-BD9FD1E9A16F.png

26F8DDAE-EB28-4CBE-9E2F-B73E01B960CD.jpeg

68DEC55C-455C-4089-BAB5-E357EFB52F7E.jpeg

Welcome! Looks like you been doing lots of reading before purchasing that beauty! It’s in good hands. Enjoy the wrenching and most importantly the driving! Definitely considering replacing everything that’s rubber to really improve the ride.

By the way, were those old globes painted or were they not Toyota? They’re missing that yellow warning label.

Fight the battle against rust, get that undercoating asap!

Welcome! Looks like you been doing lots of reading before purchasing that beauty! It’s in good hands. Enjoy the wrenching and most importantly the driving! Definitely considering replacing everything that’s rubber to really improve the ride.

By the way, were those old globes painted or were they not Toyota? They’re missing that yellow warning label.

Fight the battle against rust, get that undercoating asap!
Thank you! I did a ton of reading here and elsewhere before even looking at one in person. I’ll definitely take that advice. What are the most common rubber parts to change?

They were OEM Toyota, just so dirty you couldn’t see the label on those two. The other two it was clear. I replaced with OEM Toyota globes as well.

Absolutely! I don’t want to drive it here with the salt until it’s coated. Our roads here are already white from all the salt they dump down. I have an ‘03 Lexus ES300 that I didn’t stay on top of the rust and I lost that game. Not doing that with this one.

Nice find ! welcome to the obsession. Ive owned an excessive amount of landcruisers, but the 100 is my fav US-market available one.
that's where my username came from.

Welcome ! Looks like the search paid off, and good job with the AHC repair !

You did know about this?

Welcome Fellow Midwesterner! That truck is incredibly clean underneath. Looks like you are already on a great start with taking care of major maintenance. Here are some other items that are usually ready for replacement at this point.
  1. Rear Control Arms - will make a major difference in the ride quality and drivability
  2. front wheel bearings
  3. front control arm bushings and ball joints
  4. AHC shock cushions and bushings
  5. Steering rack bushings (consider replacing with poly bushings

Have fun!

Rubber last longer than those poly bushings!
Many years ago I was active in off-road with my 1986 Hilux pickup, and in mud, snow, mud again etc….
The rubber bushings last longer!

I’ve been wanting to get a 100 series for a while now, and finally found what I was looking for. Finding one near me in Chicago was almost impossible because everything here over 10 years old is about rusted completely out. After looking at 10-12 I finally found this one that spent its life in Florida and was sold at an auction here and only has surface rust on a few places. I’m working to brush that off and treat it and with fluid film this weekend To protect it from all the salt and moisture we get here. I got this 2001 LX470 with 185k miles 2 months ago and have been busy updating everything that was good and ready! New timing belt and water pump, heater t’s, shocks, other belts and hoses, and today tackled the AHC fix since my globes were shot which made for one bumpy ride. I was only getting 4 graduations between low and high, and am now getting 13. With a little help from the various threads here I was able to replace all 4 globes and do a fluid flush in under 3 hours today and now it’s riding smooth as butter! View attachment 3174821

View attachment 3174824

View attachment 3174825

View attachment 3174826
NICE!, looks just like mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom