Johnvee's 80 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
So, you all know I've been 80 shopping since the December trip. Many of you have helped me search and answer questions. Turns out that I ended up helping to keep one in the family. It was on my radar when it was originally listed for sale last year but that was before I was serious about a purchase. Another ONSC member bought it then from the previous ONSC owner and made all the necessary repairs. I saw it when he had it running again and had a feeling that I'd one day own it. It wasn't easy to pry the key from his hands :bang: but I eventually did. :clap:

So, thank you Rafael, and thank you Jorge. It will be well maintained and poorly treated.:) It looks like it's going to be my DD and Sarah's weekend toy.

Here I am in the passenger seat at the December URE trip. I'll add some pics of my own when I have time to take some. (And, no, I didn't set out to find a green 80 to match my 40 :doh:).

image-3300917688.jpg

Reverse Lights

The only thing I've done so far.

Superbrightleds #1156-CW45-T. Can't wait to see them at night. Any light output will have to better than what I had with the factory bulbs.

1. Remove housing. Remove reverse bulb.
2. New on the left. Old on the right.

80 taillight.jpg

80 rev bulb.jpg

sweet ride and great legacy. Welcome to the addiction! careful though 2 is a collection but I believe 3 is considered hoarding LOL

you know what would look great on there though.........right ????
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=8245909&postcount=3834

we can roll it into a major landscape renovation if you like :p

looking forward to the progress, remember to enjoy the jouney along the way. Its a great platform
Now just got to paint the roof plack and the grill white :D

:beer:

Pretty sure I saw you and the 80 as I was leaving the Cotswold area Harris Teeter yesterday? I was in my 55 if so. Great looking 80 and will stop by and chat next time we run into each other but nice looking 80, setup well!

Well, everything is said. Great truck but could not keep it. I have a baby in the way and a big addition to the house (at least is what i was planning until i talked to the engineer today. Some changes have to be made). That was my first 80 and wont be the last. I never new how capable the vehicle was until now.

I am sure it is in good hands and it will be taken care of better than here. It took me 3 to 4 weeks to sign the title but john showed up one day and said ( i am taking it today!!!!).

Enjoy it,

Congrats on the new addition John. I'm sure it will treat you well now that Rafael has made the necessary repairs.

Still haven't gotten used to not having the cruiser :frown:. But I'm glad it has stayed in good hands.

Pretty sure I saw you and the 80 as I was leaving the Cotswold area Harris Teeter yesterday? I was in my 55 if so. Great looking 80 and will stop by and chat next time we run into each other but nice looking 80, setup well!

Yeah, that was me staring at you. I was trying to remember if that was you at the SCT show and if we spoke at all. I was in my green 40 then. It's crazy how many old LC's and Broncos the HT attracts. Thanks for posting - now I don't have to post the pic I took of yours in SPOTTED.

Two different people complimented me on your truck when I was first checking it out. They thought I owned it. I wanted to lie, but I didn't. (how dumb is someone who thinks the guy peeking in the windows and taking pics is the owner????)

--john

Congrats on the new addition John. I'm sure it will treat you well now that Rafael has made the necessary repairs.

Still haven't gotten used to not having the cruiser :frown:. But I'm glad it has stayed in good hands.

Jorge,

Thanks for taking care of it for me all those years! :) It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that felt like I've always had it when I first got in. Sarah said the same thing.

I'm curious about your MPG if you can recall... I've put one tank of gas through it so far with 75% city driving and got 10.85mpg. Sound right to you?

--john

I was getting an avg of 13-14 mpg. But when I drove the cruiser, it was mostly hwy miles from home in Charlotte to work in Gastonia.

Jorge,

Thanks for taking care of it for me all those years! :) It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that felt like I've always had it when I first got in. Sarah said the same thing.

I'm curious about your MPG if you can recall... I've put one tank of gas through it so far with 75% city driving and got 10.85mpg. Sound right to you?

--john

Did you remember to correct your mileage for oversized tires? In Emma's 80 (before the wreck :( ) I had figured out there was a 7% correction required due to the tires. I used GPS on the highway to figure out odometer vs. actual distance traveled over 100 miles. I usually found we got between 11.5 and 12.5 very consistently, almost independent of city / highway.

HTH,
:beer: R

Did you remember to correct your mileage for oversized tires? In Emma's 80 (before the wreck :( ) I had figured out there was a 7% correction required due to the tires. I used GPS on the highway to figure out odometer vs. actual distance traveled over 100 miles. I usually found we got between 11.5 and 12.5 very consistently, almost independent of city / highway.

HTH,
:beer: R

Yeah, that's about my mpg also...

Outstanding.....So glad I could help fuel the addiction bud. lol. Looks great and can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

That trader joes has the tightest parking lot ever made

That trader joes has the tightest parking lot ever made

All the hippies in their yaris and prii didn't think that larger spaces were necessary :lol:

Rear Brake Job

The parking brake was rusted and seized so it was time to rebuild it. There was also some grinding going on back there on the PS. Time to check that out, too.

1. Who knows what's wrong here?
2. Not what it was designed for.
3. Found it.

rotor 2.jpg

piston.jpg

missing pad.jpg

That's all the pics I took. The rear rotors, calipers and pads were replaced.

I removed and replaced the parking brake assembly (bell crank and such). The drum pads for the p-brake were still well within spec, so they stayed. I used Poser's thread to walk me through it and I don't have anything to add other than his parts list lacks the 2 screws per side to hold the bellcrank assembly to the hub/backing plate/whatever it's called. His list was for a '97 LX but the part #'s checked out for my '94 too. Parking brake?

The brake still doesn't hold the vehicle on my driveway but I think I need to tighten the cable. I can pull the handle way more than 9-11 clicks and it's still loose.

I still have some squeal when I turn or swerve over 10MPH that comes from the side opposite the turn. I think it's because I didn't back off the click adjuster enough after snugging up the pads to the rotor and they're rubbing.

EDIT: I'm not currently running the rear sway bar thanks to Daniel and Rafael.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to knock those two things out.

Thanks to Rafael who came by to guide me and lend a hand. He works much faster than I do.

--john

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom