Johnvee's 40 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
I never started a build thread since I never really started a build, so I figured I'd just start a thread and post up as I go.

A few things:
1. Just replaced tires and wheels. 33x10.50 is much easier to maneuver than 33x12.50 w/o power steering.

2. Rafael gave me crap about not washing it in 6+ months. Warm day = clean now.

40 half tires.jpg

Clean 40.jpg

It is clean. That thing was parked at my house for two days and the people around was calling for stolen car!!! for the dirt collected on the roof..

Looks good clean!!

Looking good John - its about time you started this thread!!

Seat extension problem

So... I finally extended the driver seat track on the 40 and have raved about it ever since. I ran into a problem, however, that I hadn't seen documented anywhere. I have a Tuffy stereo console that was preventing the seat from sliding all the way back.

There is a bracket on the inboard side of the seat that was scraping the underside of the console. It was also being stopped short in it's tracks (ha!) by the console mounting plate flange. The solution was to pull the console and hammer down the flange until it was flush up underneath the console. Reassemble, install seat, drink beer. Sorry for the crap pics and relative lack of frame of reference.

40 console scrape under.jpg

40 console bottom pre fix.jpg

40 console masked.jpg

do the bezel and mirrors in a gun metal gray.

So I went to the 1/19/13 HAMOM at Mike's with the intention of installing LEDs all around (except headlights), retrofitting new gauges into the cluster and installing some Bulldog LED lights on the front end. I ended up forgetting almost everything needed except the box of LED bulbs. But I did remember to bring new rear light lenses/gaskets and only broke off one screw trying to remove the old ones.

I wasn't going for overall brightness all across the board because I think the regular bulbs up front are pretty good, but the stop/turn/reverse was pretty wanting. My main goal was to get rid of some of the electrical load and I accomplished that. My voltmeter doesn't budge even with all lights on, hazards, foot on the brake and in reverse. I used to show about a 1-1.5v drop in that same scenario with the regular bulbs. I can also now navigate in reverse without using the "hit it and try again" method. OK, I'm lying - I can't navigate anyway.

I have no before/after pics since we all know what they look like before and I haven't been able to snap good pics after dark yet.

I used the 40 FAQ to find Trollhole's posts about item #'s and then made some modifications. I'll update this thread with a list when I get a chance. I never knew there was supposed to be a bulb in the lightswitch before reading his post. Now a few of us have fixed that problem since I ordered too many. I still have a few bulbs (green and blue only, white is correct to me) if anybody wants one. I got all three colors because I couldn't find a definitive answer here between the three.

The blue high beam indicator is the interior masterpiece. The green turn indicators I got are probably a bit dimmer than stock.

--john

Thanks for idea ordered mine yesterday I to can take x rays with reverse lights

Darn right! Those lights are impressively bright!

They are superior to the ones I put in the 80. I'll swap them out and see what happens. Can't remember why I got different lights for the two trucks.

On a happier note... Went to the NC tag office today with my 40 Registration Letter they sent me that says in bright red, bold letters to inspect it before registration. I was starting to think that the 35-year old no inspection thing meant starting on year 36 (unlike 2009 with my Triumph). I'm happy to report that the girl told me that the letters are printed so far in advance that an inspection would have been required when it was written (2012/34yrs) but 2013-1978=35 and that's all that matters to her. See below. :bounce2::beer: All I can say is NEVER AGAIN YOU BAST*RDS!!!!:clap:

Side note - she also told me that the boys in blue are starting to write tickets to people who haven't signed their registration. WTF??? :bang:

78 40 Reg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom