Johnny's Simple FZJ80 Rear Bumper Protection MOD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple and easy and Moab tested already! Bolts into your existing tow hitch mounts!

READ A LITTLE MORE ABOUT IT ON MY MODS PAGE HERE

Product before:

ebay1005_004.jpg

And on the truck!:

Bumper_003.jpg

Bumper_007.jpg

Johnny,

I think you've gotten 59 views with 0 responses for a reason. Nobody has the heart to tell you that's going to bend like a pretzel. I always get voted to bring things like this up due to my diplomatic skills - heh. Don't get me wrong - it's the right direction for an easy bolt on and a bit of protection. It's just that what tends to happen at the rear on 80s is the entire weight of the back comes down on a rock as you're leaving a ledge for example. And it's going to flex that up and into the bumper with relative ease. It will be great for a 'whoops' doink where you shove the corner into a rock in close quarters on a trail. But a heavy trail hit will decimate it.

One dramatic improvement in structural integrity would accrue if you welded a tab in the center and bolted it through the 4 bolt holes in the bumper's center section.

IdahoDoug said:
Johnny,

I think you've gotten 59 views with 0 responses for a reason. Nobody has the heart to tell you that's going to bend like a pretzel. I always get voted to bring things like this up due to my diplomatic skills - heh.

Thank you Doug................

Glad you got the memo. ;)

I like it & your garage. Do you want to sell your 2" reciever now? shipping to MA would prolly kill the idea though :crybaby:

I was thinking the same thing - you're not driving a little Toy anymore ;) When I've come off on rocks it's actually taken chunks out of my towbar :eek: Need more beef back there ...

:cheers:

Tucker

BTW: Keep 'em coming - you've put more tech back in this section than anyone in a long time. I hate reading about tire size and wich lift should I go with crapola....

I wasn't initially thinking about Doug's idea of it bending but I was thinking that it might not be mounted low enough. The factory rear bumper ends act as scoops when they drag. If you aren't lower than the factory bumper you are still going to smash it up.

And your garage definitely gets a two thumbs up!

WildYoats,
Nice rig.
I am not hardcore trail guru but that bumper will certainly help protest the back more than if nothing was there. I doubt that would flex much from a flat hit on the back and taking Idaho's advice to tie it into the 4 bolt holes will definitely make it stronger on a flat hit. The corners are what will flex if anything.

I was checking out your site and what is the purpose for the Riser Cables?

tucker74 said:
BTW: Keep 'em coming - you've put more tech back in this section than anyone in a long time. I hate reading about tire size and wich lift should I go with crapola....

That's some funny stuff....

I like it. Kind of agree with others about it possibly bending upwards if you drop the full weight onto the outer wings. However for light trails and just to protect the bumper wings from smaller impacts (such as someone tapping you from behind) I think its a great idea that I would have never thought of. Im definatley considering this for my truck since people who drive my truck have no depth perception and have been known to "brush" the back bumper up against parking meters while parallel parking. I really like lots of your mods on your truck. The homemade aluminum rack is awesome, as is your tire carrier!! Your site inspires me to get out the welder and start a project or two. Also, can you open your hood with the limb risers attached? I can not tell from the picture but do they clear the hood?

Last edited:
I had the exact same reaction to his 'protection' when i saw it. Seems like it was just begging to crush bumper. However I ran right behind him on Cliffhanger last month in Moab and it more than held up to the weight and abuse. He drug it considerably on Metal Masher the day before and it seems to do it's job.
dmc

Buckums said:
I was checking out your site and what is the purpose for the Riser Cables?

I was wondering about this myself.

I like it, looks clean. The mounting bar that protects the exhaust seems like a nice thing.
My only concern is the sheer unsupported width across the rear but sounds like it's doing it's job.

DMC in Aus (the-shed.net) built something very similar for the 120 Prado except it had additional corner hoops to better protect... well, the corners :)

I haven't seen a tire carrier mounted to the factory bumper before. What's the skinny on that?

I think it depends on how hard they hit.

I...sometimes...drive my rig like I stole it :D
I would pretzel something like that. However, for lighter impacts -- if someone was being careful -- I think it's better than having nothing back there.

Off the trail, I sure would've like having something like that on my wife's 450 BEFORE a couple asshats decided to scrape her rear bumper corner pieces.

And ditto on having you here to bump up some of the tech. :cheers:

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for your input. I honestly do appreciate the feedback. Constructive critisism is always welcome!

So, here's my reply to it. First off, I am unsure if you all read that this creation was already trail tested in Moab. It supported some very heavy hits and got me by the intended purpose for THAT trip. Please take note that I spent all of about 2 hours on it as I only intended to make something that would protect that valuable Toyota plastic! :D

This bar is not intended for heavy duty rockcrawling with 5+ trails.

Nobody asked me what size of metal or pipe I used. This is obviously a point that is important. Due to the fact that I only possess a genuine, Made in China, Harbor Freight PIPE bender (which was purchased for a proud $69), I was limited to using some very thick Sch. 40 PIPE so it tends to be very stout.

So, in turn, does it take me 10 minutes to install and swap back the hitch. Yes. Did I make it in a matter of hours with scrap metal laying around. Yes. Did it support the Moab trip and is my bling plastic in it's perfect condition still. Yep. Mission Successfull. :grinpimp:

RISER CABLES:
Yes, as Cory mentioned above they are used to sheild branches and so forth away from your windsheild. You will see them on true expedition vehicles.

That is all. Thank you!

But, again, I really do appreciate the feedback and points of view.

Rookie2 said:
I haven't seen a tire carrier mounted to the factory bumper before. What's the skinny on that?

Click my little link in my sig and scroll down on the Modifications page for a write up on that. The idea was obtained from this place! :beer:

i love sch. 40, I just some on the sliders i am building, i think that it takes impacts a lot better than hrew or dom although hrew and dow is better for structural purposes. good work. What is the OD of the pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom