John Deere HIRs for Low Beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was reading the yahoo 100 series board and came across a post on John Deere HIR bulbs as low beam replacement on the 100 sereis. I called the JD Dealer and ordered some. $28 a piece. I will let you know if they work or not. Supposedly the guys in Australia have been running them for over 2 years. I hope they work because the low beams on the 100 are weak.

More info please. (e.g. Bulb Specs? Wattage? Source?)

-B-

I am interested in your results.

-Matt

More stuff....

Whats the deal with HIR bulbs?
They were invented by General Electric a few years ago. An HIR bulb differs from a standard Halogen bulb by the fact that they have a reflective infra red coating with primary purpose of reflecting heat back to the filament.
They are being markeded under these names:
9011 HIR1, high beam, 2500lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts
9012 HIR2, low beam, 1875lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts

For physical dimansions, goto: http://152.119.239.10/docimages/pdf37/58377_web.pdf
For performance data, see: http://www.gelighting.com/na/downloads/hir1techsheet1.pdf

So far its used on OEM applications only: Dodge Vipers high beams and Toyota Camry (unofficial). Dont excpect them to show up at Pep Boys or Canadian Tire anytime soon. Price on each bulb is probably around what an HID bulb goes for, USD 100-200.

On the aftermarked, an HIR bulb has showd up in the 9005 and 9006 base version, which is different from 9011 and 9012 base standard. It is markedet under the "Polarg" brand name. Check out SPW Industries for details. The question is if Polarg is using the GE glasspack and selling them under their own name, or if its their in house brand. Generally, Polarg products have avarage quality, so our speculations goes towards the latter. The first quarter of 2003, the japanese company Vestec also started selling a product that may also very well go into the HIR category: "HID-R Day Light 9006"

John Deere bulbs......hmmmmm,

Um, do they have a greenish-yellow hue? ::)

I didn't know that John Deere had a problem with over-running thier headlamps...... :D

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28594 date=1058997858]
More stuff....

Whats the deal with HIR bulbs?
They were invented by General Electric a few years ago. An HIR bulb differs from a standard Halogen bulb by the fact that they have a reflective infra red coating with primary purpose of reflecting heat back to the filament.
They are being markeded under these names:
9011 HIR1, high beam, 2500lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts
9012 HIR2, low beam, 1875lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts

For physical dimansions, goto: http://152.119.239.10/docimages/pdf37/58377_web.pdf
For performance data, see: http://www.gelighting.com/na/downloads/hir1techsheet1.pdf

So far its used on OEM applications only: Dodge Vipers high beams and Toyota Camry (unofficial). Dont excpect them to show up at Pep Boys or Canadian Tire anytime soon. Price on each bulb is probably around what an HID bulb goes for, USD 100-200.

On the aftermarked, an HIR bulb has showd up in the 9005 and 9006 base version, which is different from 9011 and 9012 base standard. It is markedet under the "Polarg" brand name. Check out SPW Industries for details. The question is if Polarg is using the GE glasspack and selling them under their own name, or if its their in house brand. Generally, Polarg products have avarage quality, so our speculations goes towards the latter. The first quarter of 2003, the japanese company Vestec also started selling a product that may also very well go into the HIR category: "HID-R Day Light 9006"

[/quote]

Okay I may be a sick puppy about oil, but you have a serious light bulb problem. :D

Here is my suggestion concerning bulbs. Go to slee and get the upgraded wiring harness, and then go to http://www.rallylights.com/hella/standard_bulbs.asp and order the appropriate hi watt bulb for your application. I did this with my 80 and the output is unreal. I get in my friends Mercedes and Audis with HID lamps and am dissapointed in how dim their lights are. Best $100 investment you can make.

Cary

Cary,

So on my 80, with that Harness from Slee, what's the optimum bulb off of that site. I'm running one battery, oem, probably move to an optima at some point.

Jeff

Hey Brian -

A little OT - but along the lines of this thread.
I notice you have a Corrado and I can only imagine that you have Eurolights since you've got a 3.0 and :eek: :eek:Syncro :eek: :eek: in it. I had Euro's in my old C back in the Vortex days, and it's what I hope to copy as far as light(beam) pattern. You had any luck finding anything that comes close?
I found a source for Euro headlights with a H4 / H1 setup like the Corrado H4 / H3, but it's about the same price as Euro C lights.

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28608 date=1059006006]
Cary,

So on my 80, with that Harness from Slee, what's the optimum bulb off of that site. I'm running one battery, oem, probably move to an optima at some point.

Jeff
[/quote]

Part number for the low beam is 78316 "9006 80 watt bulb" and the high beam is 78310 "9005 100 watt bulb".

Cary :D

BTW after you put in the new bulbs this is what the guy in front of you in athe lowered civic will think :eek:

Here is a good link. Actually some super dupr GE Bulb that they use on their $100k to $200k tractors. The guy from Australia said one little nub had to be filed off however besides that they fit perfectly. He has been running them over 2 years with no problems. I gave the JD parts guy the aussie part # and it came right up. I will let you know tomorrow if they are the ones or not. Also, has anyone seen any pricing on the 9011 and 9012 bulbs, these are the HIRs that will be available for sale to the public, I can not find these on any website? What about IPF HIR replacement high beam bulbs, he is running those but I can not find those anywhere on any website in the states.

Thanks,

Andrew

http://www.gelighting.com/na/litlib/t_hal_hir_jdeere.html

Cary,

>> Best $100 investment you can make. <<

I'm seldom an impulse buyer and have no idea why I should take advice on lights from a guy that is obsessed with oil. But.... you sold me. I already have the Slee harness installed and now the 4 new bulbs are on the way.

I'm gonna pour a qt of M1 0-40 in your front seat if these things don't scare the neighbors when I come driving home at midnight. ;)

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28674 date=1059059883]

I'm gonna pour a qt of M1 0-40 in your front seat if these things don't scare the neighbors when I come driving home at midnight. ;)

-B-

[/quote]

Thank god for leather!!! Seriously, you will be amazed at the great output. I ran Hella and Cibie eurospec lamps for years in my BMW's and these give work just as well, excepting the patern is as defined.

Cary

Okay, since were on the subject of lights, what flashlights do you all have in your trucks?

I'll start: Surfire 6P classic

Cary

Go visit www.candlepowerforums.com :D

[quote author=LINUS link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28609 date=1059007099]
Hey Brian -

A little OT - but along the lines of this thread.
I notice you have a Corrado and I can only imagine that you have Eurolights since you've got a 3.0 and :eek: :eek:Syncro :eek: :eek: in it. I had Euro's in my old C back in the Vortex days, and it's what I hope to copy as far as light(beam) pattern. You had any luck finding anything that comes close?
I found a source for Euro headlights with a H4 / H1 setup like the Corrado H4 / H3, but it's about the same price as Euro C lights.
[/quote]

It's hard to find lights as good as the Corrado European version, or any euro-version, for that matter. The Cruiser has a similar size, I bet they'd be just as good.

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28676 date=1059061823]
Okay, since were on the subject of lights, what flashlights do you all have in your trucks?

I'll start: Surfire 6P classic

Go visit www.candlepowerforums.com :D
[/quote]

mmmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmMMMMMM Candlepowerforums....I love that site - my wife now knows that I'm a Flashaholic! I'm glad to see that my kids are following in my path. Their grandfather bought them flashlights and they LOVE them!

Surefire Executive E2, 4D Mag hammer/club/general all around light, Petzel Duo Headlamp, LED light on keychain and 1MM plug-in in the back. For those that haven't experienced Surefure, be sure to check them out - the E2 is absolutely fantastic. No bigger than the palm of your hand and light that literally makes something like a 4D Mag pale in comparison!

Back to the 80 content. Any problems with the PO-lice running the higher output low beams? On my motorcycle, I run slightly brighter low beam and high output high beam and was thinking of doing the same with the LC.

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=3900;start=0#msg28697 date=1059068408]

Back to the 80 content. Any problems with the PO-lice running the higher output low beams? On my motorcycle, I run slightly brighter low beam and high output high beam and was thinking of doing the same with the LC.

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

I have never had a problem running hi output bulbs in cars. Just make sure they are aimed properly. Frankly, I believe the only time it would be an issue with the policy is if you were obnoxious, running those blue bulbs, or have an obnoxious car. BTW, the high watt hella bulbs are whiter than the regular output, the result of the greater wattage making them run a little hotter.

Love the E2e light, I have an E1e I got as present, I carry everywhere.

Cary

flashlights

4D MagLight

Petzl Zipka headlight - I think I have four or five of these in vehicles, coat pockets, desks, kitchen drawer - love 'em!

500,000 candlepower spotlight that plugs into cig lighter - fits nicely in the center console ;)

I want to get a rechargeable SureFire with the charging cradle for the Cruiser - maybe mount it on the hump just left of the shifter, or else at the base of the driver's seat...

Me too,

4D MAG "tonk light"

::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom