1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Deere HIR

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by landtoy80, Mar 29, 2004.

1. landtoy80

landtoy80

2. nakman

nakman addict.

TruView HeadLights

Finally got around to installing my Slee harness on Saturday.. I've learned that any time Christo tells me 30 minutes it really means 3.0 hours.. just move the decimal point one space over... or something like that.

Unbolting the crossmember in the engine bay wasn't the worst thing, there's a hidden screw towards the bottom of the hood latch that I didn't see right away, required a small ratchet & 10mm socket to get out. Everything else was pretty straight forward. Should have just removed the battery in the first place instead of trying to work around it for 45 minutes screwing up (not a pun) those little black boxes.. on the other side just pull up on the radiator reservoir to remove it & set it aside so you can get at the headlights (you probably knew that).

I'm running the "Cary hookup" for low beams, whatever those HIR's are we got in the group buy.. they seem brighter, a lot like our '03 Taco. Didn't really answer your bulb question, let me know if you'd like to borrow one of my stock bulbs until you decide. Having a "pididdle" sucks...

3. landtoy80

landtoy80

Re:TruView HeadLights

Nakman, stop over and drop off the bulb if you would please ;)

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Hah, haven't heard "padiddle" in decades..... Always thought that was an Ohio thing.

DougM

5. moralien

moralien

TruView HeadLights

FWIW I am too lazy to install my slee harness too.
    However, I did the green HIR's and they made a difference.
    :)

6. nakman

nakman addict.

I've found it's better to just buy the aftermarket parts, then just let them sit on the shelf in the shop or in the back of the truck for a while... it's like installing a new wood floor, you bring the materials in then allow for time to let the new components "acclimate" for a while, can't install it right away or it'll shock the system.

I got the headlight wiring done this past weekend but the auxillary lighting harness is still on the workbench.. another couple weeks and I think it'll be ready to be introduced to the rest of the vehicle. And I think the rule is you can still add the mod to your signature as long as the component is inside the truck, like if you bought a set of 35's and they're laying in the back cargo area one could still say "hey, check out that 80 with 35's," and be correct. I learned semantics from our last President. :)

and Doug thanks for the correct spelling of 'padiddle,' as kids in Colorado we called them "cockeyes," when you spotted one you'd smack your brother in the arm as hard as you could as you shout "COCKEYE!" then you had to wipe it off before he could hit you back... a spin-off from the slug-bug game, I imagine... [/mindless dribble...]

7. cary

cary

TruView HeadLights

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=13910;start=msg129006#msg129006 date=1080603638]
    I have one headligh out.
    I see Wagner has a TruView bulb $17 each.
    http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/front/0,2194,2442_9284_9682758,00.html

Or should I hold out and order the HIR bulb from John Deere.
    I have the Slee harness but havn't installed it yet.
    [/quote]

It depends, do you want to throw away $17 a bulb? By DOTregulations a 9006 lamp cannot put out more than 1100 lumens. The HIR bulbs are actually a 9012 bulbs trimmed to fit in a 9006 slot. They are 1700 lumens.

Cary

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

Cary, I read your bulb FA?.
    How do you trim the bulb to fit?
    Your HIR link is not working.

9. cary

cary

TruView HeadLights

You trim the top tab slightly. When you get out the old bulb look at how the two tabs are different and trim the HIR bulb to match. Takes about 2 minutes. Note the low beam you need to trim the tab to be shorter & less wide. Remember- DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS BULB.

10. landtoy80

landtoy80

TruView HeadLights

Is there a pic of the trimming?
    I sometimes go crazy when I operate things that cut,grind or remove material :whoops:

11. moralien

moralien

TruView HeadLights

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=13910;start=msg129580#msg129580 date=1080676035]
    Is there a pic of the trimming?
    I sometimes go crazy when I operate things that cut,grind or remove material :whoops:
    [/quote] Just make it look like what you take out. :slap:

12. landtoy80

landtoy80

TruView HeadLights

[quote author=moralien link=board=2;threadid=13910;start=msg129581#msg129581 date=1080676192]
    Just make it look like what you take out. :slap:
    [/quote]

I "take out" the pizza from the oven. You don't want to see how I cut IT up :eek:
    Then there is birthday cake, the family DOESN"T let me cut the cake anymore :D

13. landtoy80

landtoy80

I called JD and ordered the HIR bulbs. Had I called before 2pm, I would of had them tomorow. Now the wife will have to stay home at night till Thursday.
    The bill came to $57 with tax and shipping.
    I better get the Slee harness in first.

14. Curran

Curran

TruView HeadLights

I threw a set of the “Carry Recommended” HIR 1s & 2s in over the weekend. I already had the Slee harness in. I think that satellites will now be able to recognize my truck at night. Lots of light! And the plastic tab thing was easy to figure out. Landtoy, you’ll have no problem with it. 0.5 :banana:

:beer:

15. cary

cary

TruView HeadLights

[quote author=Curran link=board=2;threadid=13910;start=msg129700#msg129700 date=1080683269]
    I threw a set of the “Carry Recommended” HIR 1s & 2s in over the weekend. I already had the Slee harness in. I think that satellites will now be able to recognize my truck at night. Lots of light!

[/quote]

They really do make a nice difference. I thought about modifying the 9011 to go in the low beam slot to get another 700 lumens, but decided it wasn't worth the shorter life of the higher watt bulb, not to mention the current setup it brighter than crap.

16. landtoy80

landtoy80

TruView HeadLights

This is a good example of my craftmanship.

17. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Yeah but there is a difference between the turd and the cruiser.
    Dave

18. landtoy80

landtoy80

I did that with a air chisel.
    After hours of using hammer and chisel, I got a good idea of using my el'cheepo air chisel.

19. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

Any issues with too much heat with the JD HIRs? I run will my lights always on as poor man's daytime running lights.

20. cary

cary

[quote author=DRTDuck link=board=2;threadid=13910;start=msg130081#msg130081 date=1080709252]
    Any issues with too much heat with the JD HIRs? I run will my lights always on as poor man's daytime running lights.
    [/quote]

Nope, same as stock.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">