John Deere headlights....installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Modding those bulbs is one of the easiest things any 80 owner can do.

I even managed to do it without screwing anything up.

Slee Harness and HIR highs & lows

I just finished wiring the Slee Headlight Harness and installing the HIR high and low beams.

Previously, I was using Sylvannia Silverstars for my low beams and some Taiwanese 100w High beams. The High beams are worth their price...there was definitely an improvement over my 100w high beams. My 100w high beams were already much brighter and whiter than the OEM highs. As for the low beams, I didn't notice much of a difference compared to my Silverstars. I think visibility might have been improved, b/c although the Silverstars seem brighter the whiter light wasn't very good in poor weather conditions.

I definitely recommend the high beams. They seem to have the most bang for the buck.

As for the Slee Harness....it seems well put together and if it's getting more juice to the bulbs...then it's worth it.

The one thing I'll recommend is getting some ratcheting gear wrenches.

My experience with the Silverstar is that they will not last more than 6 months and for $25.00 a pop that is not acceptable. I called the company to complain and their response was something like:
"That is too bad! now you are on your own, that is whay we only garantee them for 30 days! Sucker!"

Atijerino....I got my Silverstars 2 for $25.00 at Schucks. They lasted me about 1.5yrs w/ no problems...maybe you got one from a bad bunch. But it also sounds like they need to retrain some of their customer service people.

Update

A little over a year later and one of my bulbs went out :frown:

Hopped in the 80 to head to our local club meeting and the passenger side bulb came on then went out. Fortunately I had saved the un-burntout bulb from before the swap so I was able to pop that one in. I'm not sure if I will be going with the John Deere bulbs again or if I'll be going w/ some Sylvannia bulbs(gf's dad is a plant manager for sylvannia = free bulbs ;) ).

Don't know if this was just a defective bulb or what. The filament burned out precisely in the middle.

BTW, I drove approximately 20k miles in the past year and I always leave the lights on.

Ary

Update

A little over a year later and one of my bulbs went out :frown:

Hopped in the 80 to head to our local club meeting and the passenger side bulb came on then went out. Fortunately I had saved the un-burntout bulb from before the swap so I was able to pop that one in. I'm not sure if I will be going with the John Deere bulbs again or if I'll be going w/ some Sylvannia bulbs(gf's dad is a plant manager for sylvannia = free bulbs ;) ).

Don't know if this was just a defective bulb or what. The filament burned out precisely in the middle.

BTW, I drove approximately 20k miles in the past year and I always leave the lights on.

Ary

That kind of mileage doesn't seem bad for a normal bulb, don't know about HIRs. The JD HIR bulbs are now only $10-$12, so it seems like it would be worth buying them vs. standard bulbs at a similar price.

FWIW, another source for these bulbs is Susquehanna Motorsports, at:

http://www.rallylights.com/

The bulbs are listed under Hella Automotive Lighting and Electrical Products, under bulbs. Look for the 9011, and 9012.

There's also a bunch of other useful stuff available from these folks. I got my bulbs and so forth pretty quickly, and they were Toshiba, made in Japan. Already pre-marked for the cuts, as well. The prices are about even with what I've seen elsewhere.

I did find a funky sorta-short in my slee light harness. If the wire for the light is bent just so, the light cuts out. For now, I have a twist-tie holding the wire in the right spot...but I'm going to need to look into this some more later...

That's weird, I just found the same thing in mine. Noticed the headlights didn't come on one time, thought it must be a fuse, they were fine. Started moving the Slee harness around a little and they came on. :confused:

I found a similar issue with the High beam socket. The Slee harness connector is getting a little loose only for the highs. A zip tie is the temp cure for right now.

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom