1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JLG Lift = Human Catapult

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Recon1504, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Recon1504

Recon1504

The neighbor was loading his JLG lift on his trailer and was using his new loading ramp/dock. He didn't have the trailer blocked in the back so when the front wheels of the JLG hit the trailer, the trailer dropped and actully pushed his Ford 350 forward in the stone drive. The front wheels of the JLG hit the low side of the ramp and he was thown out of the lift basket. Not sure how he is doing - he was life flighted to a hospital in Toledo......

I spent all weekend working in the lift on my barn project. We were just talking about wearing harneeses last night...........

Even the simplest of tasks can have dire consequences.............

2. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Dammit! That blows. Best wishes for his well being and recovery.
    Rob M Concord, MA

3. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

I certainly wish the best for your friend and neighbor. In time, I am sure every will be the best.

As an aside, as aweful as the situation and circumstances are, the event of accident itself is incredible.

4. firetruck41

firetruck41

What is a "JLG Lift"?

5. Curran

Curran

6. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad that your buddy is well enough to go to the hospital. I hope he pulls out with a fast recovery. With a simple loading procedure, many people forego using safety harnesses. I train and certify forklift and heavy equipment operators as part of my job as a Safety Inspector/Officer. Wear seatbelts and stay in the cage. Wear your harness and hardhat. These things will safe your life!

JLG All Terrain Scissor Lift (4WD)

[​IMG]

JLG Boom Lift

[​IMG]

Sky Trak 8042 & 10054 (These are the units we use on our job sites. We have 100+ of these things. It's up to me to train and certify the guys driving them and teach them to operate them safely without damage to life, limb, or property.)

-8042-

[​IMG]

-10054-

[​IMG]

7. Recon1504

Recon1504

Similar to picture # 2. Stopped and saw Ken at the hospital. He has a fratured ankle and a pretty good concussion. Should be home in a few days.

8. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Wish him well for us. I have to investigate and write reports on accidents for when the OSHA guys show up. Speed, no seatbet/harness, carelessness, and not watching where you're going are the cause of accidents 99% of the time. Your friend had a freak accident that could be put into the 1% catagory.

Most receiving departments and trucking companies require chocks at the dock/ramp to block trailer wheels, preventing suspension compression surge. It sounds like he had a new ramp installed, so he may have been unaware of the tendancy of trailers to surge forward when the springs are compressed as a piece of equipment is loaded. It's unfortunate that your friend got thrown. I'm pretty sure that I can speak for everyone in wishing him a speedy recovery. I also hope that his equipment didn't sustain too much damage. That stuff isn't cheap!

9. brian

brian SILVER Star

BLAH, those harness are a pain in the a$$, they really make climbing in the ceiling a challenge. i never seem to remember that i have one on, the few times i actually tie-off to the machine, normally end up jerking myself back into the basket.
    i dislike greatly going out on the jobs that have a "safety guy", all the extra hassel slows me way down. OH my gawd, don't even mention confined space entries, just turn around and let me do what i need to do.....

10. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

:crybaby: :crybaby: Boo frickity hoo mr. my works is too important to be done safely. How old are you? 12? As a "safety guy" I can assure you the feeling is mutual. I greatly dislike when contractors show up with no knowledge of, interest in, or ability to comply with the agreements spelled out in the contracts signed by their sales people. Sadly it sounds as though you have not encountered a "safety guy" trained, equipped, and eager to complete the job in an efficient (yet safe) manner.

When you fall, I wonder? Will you be wishing you had a fall restraint to "slow you down"? After the landing, whose fault will it be that you fell? You're joking if you think you can say "oh it was my choice, my bad, no blame, liability, cost on anyone else." Sad as it is, in this country you can't take sole responsibility for your own stupidity.

Accidents and the follow-up are far more time consuming and schedule impacting than an appropriate application of engineering controls and personal protective equipment.

As for confined spaces? If you can't figure out how to use a harness and lanyard in a lift, just stay out of confined spaces, they are over you head so to speak. Turn the other way? :rolleyes: If you're on my property exposed to my hazards, its in my best interest to protect you (and therefore myself) from recognized hazards - WHETHER IT SLOWS YOU DOWN OR NOT.

If you can't remember if you are wearing a harness and are frequently jerked back into the basket, I would hesitate to blame the harness. :rolleyes:

:mad: Sorry for the rant, as for Ken, I'm glad to hear he's on the mend. At the dock - use the chocks.

Rob M

11. trainrech

trainrech

Hopefully your comments here are in jest.

If not, may I suggest a desk job because our construction industry doesn't need another statistic like your dumb ass.

12. mloudy

mloudy

There was a crew locally trying to pull a utility pole out of the ground using a cherry picker. Yeah the guy in the bucket was operating the picker. Chain broke and he gets catapulted way up and then to the ground. He is ok now but went through a whole bunch of pain and surgery to get there. I bet he wished he had a safety guy around nagging him.

13. chet

chet

Hopefully your neighbor is alright. I have seen some bad s*** here at my work due to people like Brian. They have a holier than thou attitude. alot of them have been on the job for a long time too! Most of the problems stem from guys like that training the young ones and not showing them proper safety.

We have harness rules here at my mill. If you are in a JLG and not wearing one your in deep s***!

14. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

15. mloudy

mloudy

So how did the show go. They proved it as myth right? Maybe the local guy who was launched would like to see the episode.

I liked the one they did with the dead pig and shooting into it with everything up to a 50 cal. to show what really happens when someone is shot.

16. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

If you ever rent a rough terrain boom lift or other type lift for that matter instead of just signing at the bottom and getting on with the project, read what you are signing. I'd bet you'd find it pretty interesting.