Builds Jkny Lx 450 Ak cont Build ... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up fellow Mudd members!

I am starting a new build but also continuing the build of a fellow Mud member who I'm sure a lot on here might be familiar with the build and truck. I recently sold my built 4th gen 4runner to move into a 80 series LC.

Short but sweet of it,, I got into the 4x4 world about 4 years ago and got bit hard by the Wheeling/Mod bug and it's been an ever growing addiction ever since but more so a lifestyle where I've gotten to travel and explore some amazing places and made some great friends along the way!

I started with a 4th Gen 4runner that I built just about as far as I could take it aside from doing LT or SAS'ing it! It was an amazing rig and I will always miss it but there was a part of me that starting getting the LC itch a couple years ago and I haven't been able to shake it so I decided to make the move. Main reasons for the switch was I started really pushing the limits of the 4runner and though it's always done amazing and was a really capable rig and never let me down or left me stranded sometimes I just felt limited wheeling with the IFS. So after much research and searching I finally found the rig that I felt would best suit my needs! I was fortunate to find a really well thought out and well built rig on here and grabbed it up!

Here's a pic of my old rig.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg
B7B2448C-AC5E-4170-BCE5-5E4321C8875B.JPG

And of course the new rig from former mudd member @akarilo

5E41B4A6-7D4A-4FF7-A836-2F4E9CFE8493_zpsopmwarqk.jpg

He really did do a great job tastefully modding and building this truck!
For those who aren't familiar with this rig it's current set up is:

See short bus front bumper with 9000 lb superwinch
4x4 Labs rear bumper
Custom heavy duty sliders, frame sliders and skids for LCA mounts
Custom low profile cross member, slightly extended heavy duty lower control arms, front range heavy duty tie rod and drag link. Front sway bar "hanger" for simple storage of sway bar after disconnect.
Over the frame custom exhaust.
Landtank custom e-locker axle shaft.
Landtank seat extension rails (driver).

Front & Rear factory Lockers
Nitro 5.29 Gears
Marlin Crawler T-case 3.1-1 low range gears

OME Coils with extended mount L shocks
FJ cruiser 17" wheels
BFG KM2 37" Tires

Also can't forget the Shanes leather of course!

Most of the important/hard stuff has already been done so I will be just adding a few tasteful mods and person touches of course!

New Mods:

To start I live in the Northeast and a lot of the trails we run here are pretty tight where you usually end up with a tree right up on one side of you and a rock on the other! So I just added some rear quarter armor and also some tubing over the front fenders but the most important being the rear because that is usually what's getting hit!

Swapped in custom drawers we built for my 4runner, their a little small but will work.

On order is a Prinsu design roof rack.

Upgraded the head unit a pioneer double din

Adding Dual swing outs to the 4x4 Labs bumper with tire carrier and ladder

Ordered a new fridge for camping and wheeling trips

Synthetic winch line and Factor 55 flat link

Rigid D-SS Spot lights for the front bumper

That's about where it is for now...

Very nice rig, I like how toned down it looks for such a capable and built 80.

Progress so far...

The drawers from my 4runner .
IMG_7330.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG

Pioneers head unit.
IMG_2334.JPG

New Quarter armor, I'll be painting them tomorrow.
IMG_4027.JPG
IMG_9182.JPG

Well I finally got to get out and wheel the new rig a couple of weeks ago and wow!!! This truck is such a beast! Totally different animal than the 4runner, which I expected and knew from wheeling with my buddy and his 80 also Mudd member @scrowley in the past but still nothing like being in the drivers seat. It just wants to climb up everything haha,,, It was bit of a learning curve being totally different lines than the 4runner and the throttle as well took a little getting used to but by the second day I started to get it down. It probably didn't help that we went straight to a black trail on the first day that pretty much took a group of five of us most of the day to get thru. That's the way the rate the trail difficulty at Rausch Creek off road park in PA ( for those who don't know ) Easiest > Hardest - Green,Blue,Black,Red.

Great weekend of wheeling and camping all in all! It was one of the weekend long event for FJNE ( FJ Northeasters ) a Fj club here in the northeast, a few other 80's there as well! They do yearly charity based runs at Rausch creek and is always a fun event with good people and good wheeling. This was my 4th year in attendance. Anyways heres some Photos form the run.

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1767.JPG

Last edited:
What's up fellow Mudd members!

I am starting a new build but also continuing the build of a fellow Mud member who I'm sure a lot on here might be familiar with the build and truck. I recently sold my built 4th gen 4runner to move into a 80 series LC.

Short but sweet of it,, I got into the 4x4 world about 4 years ago and got bit hard by the Wheeling/Mod bug and it's been an ever growing addiction ever since but more so a lifestyle where I've gotten to travel and explore some amazing places and made some great friends along the way!

I started with a 4th Gen 4runner that I built just about as far as I could take it aside from doing LT or SAS'ing it! It was an amazing rig and I will always miss it but there was a part of me that starting getting the LC itch a couple years ago and I haven't been able to shake it so I decided to make the move. Main reasons for the switch was I started really pushing the limits of the 4runner and though it's always done amazing and was a really capable rig and never let me down or left me stranded sometimes I just felt limited wheeling with the IFS. So after much research and searching I finally found the rig that I felt would best suit my needs! I was fortunate to find a really well thought out and well built rig on here and grabbed it up!

Here's a pic of my old rig.

View attachment 1445593View attachment 1445599

And of course the new rig from former mudd member @akarilo

View attachment 1445605

He really did do a great job tastefully modding and building this truck!
For those who aren't familiar with this rig it's current set up is:

See short bus front bumper with 9000 lb superwinch
4x4 Labs rear bumper
Custom heavy duty sliders, frame sliders and skids for LCA mounts
Custom low profile cross member, slightly extended heavy duty lower control arms, front range heavy duty tie rod and drag link. Front sway bar "hanger" for simple storage of sway bar after disconnect.
Over the frame custom exhaust.
Landtank custom e-locker axle shaft.
Landtank seat extension rails (driver).

Front & Rear factory Lockers
Nitro 5.29 Gears
Marlin Crawler T-case 3.1-1 low range gears

OME Coils with extended mount L shocks
FJ cruiser 17" wheels
BFG KM2 37" Tires

Also can't forget the Shanes leather of course!

Most of the important/hard stuff has already been done so I will be just adding a few tasteful mods and person touches of course!

New Mods:

To start I live in the Northeast and a lot of the trails we run here are pretty tight where you usually end up with a tree right up on one side of you and a rock on the other! So I just added some rear quarter armor and also some tubing over the front fenders but the most important being the rear because that is usually what's getting hit!

Swapped in custom drawers we built for my 4runner, their a little small but will work.

On order is a Prinsu design roof rack.

Upgraded the head unit a pioneer double din

Adding Dual swing outs to the 4x4 Labs bumper with tire carrier and ladder

Ordered a new fridge for camping and wheeling trips

Synthetic winch line and Factor 55 flat link

Rigid D-SS Spot lights for the front bumper

That's about where it is for now...
ypu
Its very similar to mine stoked ill see it soon

Finally got a chance to weld up my swing outs with tire carrier & ladder today! It went pretty smooth since I went thru the same process when I built my 4X4 Labs bumper on my 4Runner. The biggest PITA was drilling out the old holes that were filled for the spindles. Trying to decide if or where I want to add the high lift mount? I just need to add the gas struts for the swing arms and then Paint!

Also received my shipping confirmation for my Prinsu rack but unfortunately I won't be here when it arrives so I won't be able to get it on for a couple more weeks...

fullsizeoutput_82d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_828.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_823.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_827.jpeg

Finally got a chance to weld up my swing outs with tire carrier & ladder today! It went pretty smooth since I went thru the same process when I built my 4X4 Labs bumper on my 4Runner. The biggest PITA was drilling out the old holes that were filled for the spindles. Trying to decide if or where I want to add the high lift mount? I just need to add the gas struts for the swing arms and then Paint!

Also received my shipping confirmation for my Prinsu rack but unfortunately I won't be here when it arrives so I won't be able to get it on for a couple more weeks...

View attachment 1463617 View attachment 1463618 View attachment 1463619 View attachment 1463620
hi lift on tire, def. Works out perfectly. Looks great sorry I couldnt catch up with you yesterday But it looks like you got a ton of work done.

hi lift on tire, def. Works out perfectly. Looks great sorry I couldnt catch up with you yesterday But it looks like you got a ton of work done.
Is your rear quarter tubing connected to the frame in front of the rear tire?

I agree, I'm going to be adding a detachable tube across the back in between the rear quarter tubes to strengthen it up! Once that is done I will fit up where I'm going to mount the high lift, hopefully there will still be enough room back there...

All good man,, yeah I made some good progress and just happy to have that done so I don't have the spare eating up all that space in the cargo area any more! How were the trails yesterday? My buddies didn't get out today but they're all heading out next weekend..

Is your rear quarter tubing connected to the frame in front of the rear tire?

No it's welded to the end of the slider.

I agree, I'm going to be adding a detachable tube across the back in between the rear quarter tubes to strengthen it up! Once that is done I will fit up where I'm going to mount the high lift, hopefully there will still be enough room back there...

All good man,, yeah I made some good progress and just happy to have that done so I don't have the spare eating up all that space in the cargo area any more! How were the trails yesterday? My buddies didn't get out today but they're all heading out next weekend..

No it's welded to the end of the slider.

Finished up the swing outs today, mounted up the gas struts and got everything painted! Really happy with how it came out,, I feel like it completes the rear now. My wife got a new camera so I got to play with it and took a couple good shots. I also got my new LED interior lights and reverse lights,, Man do they brighten everything up! It's like daylight inside the truck now haha

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

It's been a slowwwww summer,, at least for the Lexus and wheeling trips unfortunately, But I've managed to get a few things done over the last couple of months in preparation for a couple trips that I have coming up this fall!

I replaced my power steering pump and hoses do to it starting to seep and drip a little, I must of got a bad pump of the shelf because immediately after the instal there was a distinct noise which at first I thought was coming from the valves because it was that loud but after further inspection it was the new pump I installed. So I just ended up getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the old one since it was already out and swapping that one back in.

More recently Im doing the part time 4x4 kit with spool from Lokka and Aisin front locking hubs. On longer highway trips at around 65-70mph I would get some DS vibration off and on so hopefully this will help with that and I also like the idea of it not being in constant all wheel drive all the time! From what I've read on here everyone who's done it seems to be happy with the results of the kit!

I'm also upgrading my rear springs to the Slee 4" HD springs. After I got the Lexus and added the rear tire carrier, drawers,rear quarter armor I feel like it has dropped the rear end a little and I want to raise it back up a little bit. Also to help when I'm loaded up with extra gear while wheeling and camping and also towing the trailer. Hopefully this will remedy the issue!

Other little stuff I've done is installed the Prinsu rack and blacked out the front grille! I took a couple of quick cell pics but will definitely be taking some fresh ones soon!

fullsizeoutput_bc1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_baf.jpeg
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG

Well I finally have a few things to update on here! I just got back from a 6 day wheeling trip in the north east and the truck did great! Love the new Slee HD springs and the part time kit works great. I picked up some new SCS F5 wheels and Pitbull Rockers before the trip, they kicked ass on and off the trail other than sounding like your ready to take off at highway speeds I really love the new set up! I did end up having to cut 1.5" off each side of my front bumper after the first day out because I was rubbing pretty hard on it, these tires are beefy! Alving sucso rubbing a little bit on the rear front fender so ill have to remedy that soon enough.

Upgrades needed from after the trip: New front LCA bushings, Fan clutch, New rear DS and a a good alignment.

We started in wester Mass and then went up and wheeled different parts of Vermont for two days and then finished out the end of the trip in NH which has been my favorite place to wheel the last few years! NH just seems to have the most challenging and technical trails consistently! I don't mind a mixture of both here and there and this trip definitely had a lot of both but I just prefer the more challenging stuff. I tried to snap as many pics as I could but it's hard sometimes when your having such a good time wheeling the last thing your thinking about is hopping out and taking pics but still I try.

This being my second real trip out with the 80 I'm really starting to get a feel for it and how it wheels, it's lines, momentum etc. Still need some more quality seat time but this was a great trip for sure!

fullsizeoutput_d72.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d73.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d78.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d79.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d81.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom