Jingling, whirring, noise under car when driveshaft is turning. Axle, ABS, Mystery. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land Between the Lakes, Beautiful Western Kentucky
This is on my 1997 40th Anniversary Edition 80 Series

I had this frustrating mystery noise as described in the title above and finally solved the mystery. It was in the dust deflector at the very front tip of the rear differential that had loosened up and was able to spin whenever the vehicle was in motion with the driveshaft turning. Because it was loose, as the driveshaft turned it was able to spin and create these jingling, whirring noises that were audible from the vehicle and to anyone you passed along the way. VERY frustrating. Sounded like something very bad was happening within the rear axle or rear differential.

Cost to fix was basically zero, as I took a small amount of black gasket making silicone (which I had on hand anyway) and pressed the cap back on with that and now it is stationary and the noise is gone!

tempImageeDSlQS.png

The one on my front diff got whacked out wheeling at some point and I noticed it due to the squealing noise it was making - like when your brake pads wear down to the springy squealers to let you know its time. I got under there to look after inspecting everything else like bent brake dust shields, etc. and happened to see the diff dust shield bent at an awkward angle. It was rubbing on the diff nose, so I grabbed a stout screwdriver and bent it slightly away. Fixed!

The problem becomes all the effort it takes to get to where you can replace it easily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom