Jim & Tim here's one for ya! (DVD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed my windows and door locks had gotten a little "slow" of late....so I decided to pull the master control switch and clean the contacts. Did a search and came up with something IdahoDoug had posted awhile back, and tore into it.

This is a very simple project and took all of 20 minutes to complete (including finding the little spring and plunger I blew out of it with the air hose). It may not be the cure for everyone...but it was for me.

I found quite a bit of black "sooty" stuff on most of the contacts. I used contact cleaner and a soft brass brush from my dremel tool set to (manually) clean everything.

The result was 1. Windows that operate about half again as fast they had been..and 2. A passenger side rear door that locks and unlocks every time.

I also sprayed the window channels/weatherstrip with silicon spray and cleaned the dirt line that develops on the window glass right at the top. This didn't seem to make any difference...but I like things right. Cleaning the contacts is what did the job.

Its pretty straight forward and once you get the panel open you'll see how it all works. There are a few small parts to keep track of.....but nothing that should scare you off.

It would make a good project to go on DVD along with some others.

Well Flint, why didn't you videotape yourself doing it. :confused:

And don't say its cause your not photogenic. :D

I have a digital camcorder (MiniDV) and a DVR. If someone wants to "help" me rebuild the switches, I'll be happy to make a DVD for distribution.

John

Jim and I have both already done that fix to our trucks :) It is really worth the 20 minutes or so it takes!

Doesn't strike me as the kind of job that needs a DVD. Are you just padding your post count, Flint? :grinpimp: :princess:

Not trying to pad...really!

tarbe said:
Jim and I have both already done that fix to our trucks :) It is really worth the 20 minutes or so it takes!

Doesn't strike me as the kind of job that needs a DVD. Are you just padding your post count, Flint? :grinpimp: :princess:

There are little tips that could be passed along is all.

All of the little "bird wing" rockers are the same size and shape....so you can just take them all out and let them soak in solvent. Its worth pointing out that the drivers window has an auto feature (which means that switch is different underneath), it has a small spring and plunger.

Also, IF the spring in the rectangular window lock mechanism falls out (mine didn't) then it would be nice to know how it goes back in.

It's all self evident if you're a detailed sort of person...but I can imagine someone pulling it apart too hard and having all of those tiny parts drop on the floor. Bet you could sell a DVD then!

I didn't have any problem with it....(and I've been known to have trouble with plastic) , but if someone like my nephew were to attempt it .........

Oh well, never mind.!

flintknapper said:
It's all self evident if you're a detailed sort of person...but I can imagine someone pulling it apart too hard and having all of those tiny parts drop on the floor. Bet you could sell a DVD then!Oh well, never mind.!

My DVD recorder doesn't like assembling multiple segments...it likes one single DVD stream shot in one setting. And I'll be damned if I am going to spend any Cruiser time or dollars solving that issue.

My DVD recorder can assembly multiple segments just fine. I use the IEEE1394 (Firewire) port to download the video between the miniDV and the DVD recorder harddrive.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom