Jim Phillips...What Are Those Red Lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
Jim...on the thread for LC clubs, you have a picture of the back of your rig showing the Land Rover Recovery Team sticker but there are also rectangular red lights flanking your license plate. What are they for and are they factory?

They look like about the same lamp that is on the rear quarter of all US Cruisers that I know of. Is it the same lamp?

I believe that they are rear fog lamps........

Yep, rear fog lamps... legal requirement on U.K. spec trucks (yes, they're OEM). I've noticed them on other Euro spec cruisers as well (outside of the U.K.), but not on Asian nor Oz vehicles.
    I knew the fog in London was bad, but...

R -

Are the rear fog lights brighter than the standard rear running lights?

Rogue -

>> They look like about the same lamp that is on the rear quarter of all US Cruisers that I know of. Is it the same lamp?

Nope. The p/n's for these are 81220-60010 (LH) and 81210-60040 (RH). Altogether different part number code for the U.S. rear side markers.

R -

Are the rear fog lights brighter than the standard rear running lights?

Much brighter. I don't have them on my LC, but I did have them (one) on my Saab. I think they generally run 55W or 65W halogen. I've been considering mounting one and I would love to do the UK version with one rear fog in the tail gate and a second aux back-up light on the other side.

Dan and others, do you know if the wiring for these is in NA-spec trucks?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

It would need to be hand wired in. :tear:

Dan

Looks like the question has been answered already.

I confirm that the red lights are fog lights. Last time I looked they were c.$110 each - I can't remember whether that included tax... a lot for a light.

They are very bright. Just what you want in fog but too many people have the habit of using them in the rain. At night time that has the effect of turning your windscreen red with reflections - a pain.

I've got a lot of stuff you would all be jealous of :p Did I mention that I can alter the height of the beam of my headlights with a little wheel in the dash? :G

Cheers, Jim

Yes, I do find it very interesting that Euro spec vehicles seemingly come with many more 'standard' safety features (e.g., rear fogs, side marker lights) that are very uncommon here except for Euro 'imports' (hard to call them that now that many are owned by the Big Three).

Cheers, Hugh

How do you activate the fog lights? &nbsp:Do they come on with the headlights or is there a seperate switch?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oooh, a little nibble at last... I love to show off my Landcruiser

The fog lights have their own button (yellow)

Just in case you are wondering, the red is for the headlight washer, the green is the wheel for altering the angle of the headlight beam, the blue is the hand throttle and the pink is a small piece of wood I whacked in there to stop a rattle :G

Cheers, Jim

Sorry to those that have seen this all before.

I sure would like to find a stateside source for that foglight switch!!!

its been discussed before but not available here :cry:

doug

Doug...you can get a factory fog light switch at Slee. Just picked one up for my '94.

hey BMT,was the switch you got from christo's a "rocker" type?
well,its only partially correct :D

on my '96 all the dash switches are a "push in" type switch and the rocker does not quite match,and in jims photo you can see that his "rear fog lamp" switch does indeed match the other "push in" dash switches...

no big deal,i have one of christo's "rocker" switches myself,but i havent bought a set of lights to mount to my ARB yet(going with Hella ff1000's)but am ready to do this project once it quits raining around here!!!

if i get a chance later tonite i will post what the wires are on the switch terminals.........i like playing with my fluke :G

doug

Doug,
The one I got from Christo was a rocker. I just use it to turn on the rear lights on the rack. The only bad part is I must have bumped it one time and sort of melted my Hella covers. I think I read somewhere that Christo was looking into getting the push botton type. Could be misremembering.
Bill

yep.i was a waiting on which one a yous guys would pick up on that!!!!    :nono:

still havent ohmed out that switch,gotta cut the grass first,then we can play with the fluke!! :doh:

photo:yes i think christo posted that they were looking into the "pushbutton" type switch,but his site still shows the "rocker" type....oh well,if it ever comes available i can always change it out,or not

doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom