Jerry can suggestions, to be carried inside (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It matters. Bad cans leak fuel and they don't last very long. Septer and Wavian cans last years.

does it really matters about the can makers and build quality or any other minor details... I mean a can is a can all u need it is for fuel! correct me if I am wrong!
And a vehicle is just a vehicle, does it really matter if you drive a Toyota vs a Jeep?

I'm trying to get serious about hurricane preparedness, the first thing that disappears in the threat of a storm is gas. I have small gas cans I've collected over the years, none of which seal properly, and they're all under 5 gallons. I'd like to get 4 or 5 five-gallon jerry cans. But some are $30 and some are $100 and I don't really know the difference, I've never had one. My requirements are that they can pour into the gas tank without awkward maneuvering or using funnels, and that they seal well so I it doesn't stink up the inside. I'll be transporting them in the cargo area of my hundy. Exposed gas cans (and anything useful) stored outside the vehicle get stolen.

Are they all about the same? Any suggestions?

You can buy about 4 to 8 of the plastic cans from lowes or home depot for the price of one of those military cans.
If' it's just for hurricane, best is 4 or 5 of the cheep home depot or lowes cans .. and put them on a cargo carrier outside your vehicle.
Do not pour them .. use the rattle siphon hose.

or .. Long Range Aux fuel tank is best !

Update for my solution:

I can't use a cargo carrier because I'll be towing a camper. I didn't want to spend $1k for a roof rack, but the 80/20 crossbar thread was very helpful, and I'll be getting some of those to haul stuff (including gas cans) on top.

Also FYI as far as I can tell, EPA gas cans are supposed to block fumes from exiting, but the fine print on the cans I bought (plastic from HD, during emergency prep sales sax holiday) say they vent excess pressure. I put them in the bed of my pickup for a few (very hot) days with gas in them to see what happens, they inflated like balloons but didn't break. They definitely vented though, with small amounts of fluid coming out too, as the spouts were wet and my truck bed smelled like gas.

I bought a separate spout for pouring, but it too is EPA compliant and a pain in the ass, doesn't reach into any of my vehicles' inlet holes, and leaks when pouring. I need to get that siphon hose.

Update for my solution:

I can't use a cargo carrier because I'll be towing a camper. I didn't want to spend $1k for a roof rack, but the 80/20 crossbar thread was very helpful, and I'll be getting some of those to haul stuff (including gas cans) on top.

Also FYI as far as I can tell, EPA gas cans are supposed to block fumes from exiting, but the fine print on the cans I bought (plastic from HD, during emergency prep sales sax holiday) say they vent excess pressure. I put them in the bed of my pickup for a few (very hot) days with gas in them to see what happens, they inflated like balloons but didn't break. They definitely vented though, with small amounts of fluid coming out too, as the spouts were wet and my truck bed smelled like gas.

I bought a separate spout for pouring, but it too is EPA compliant and a pain in the ass, doesn't reach into any of my vehicles' inlet holes, and leaks when pouring. I need to get that siphon hose.

this is similar to what I use.
Amazon product ASIN B072LN1T1W

Those are the scepter cans this thread is referencing. Printed at bottom
Do you know where they can be purchased? I was under the impression they are not available for purchase anymore.

The one you pictured is a water can and is readily available i believe. The fuel cans, green, are not but believe eBay has few and for sale section some are being brought in from canada where they are still available. Expensive now.

Last edited:
All this talk and I open the Sportsman’s Guide I just got in the mail and... NATO water cans.

53772378-8632-4E34-9841-91359526D466.jpeg

Yeah, at $100 or more per can I am glad my old man scored a few during his army days and I will continue to borrow his for long trips. He has green ones that say fuel, black ones that say diesel, and some tan ones for water.

does it really matters about the can makers and build quality or any other minor details... I mean a can is a can all u need it is for fuel! correct me if I am wrong!

This is not meant to be a put down... but in all seriousness, you must not use fuel cans often. There are tremendous differences in the quality of the manufacture. Differences in how they stand up to rough treatment, whether they are quick to rust or not, how well they seal, how easy they are to close and to open, how well the spouts fit , attach, detach, pour without leaking.

CA spec EPA compliant fuel cans in the US are pretty much s*** when it comes to pouring. Old school design "blitz" cans seal poorly and usually pour messily. Chinese copies of old school NATO cans pour like crap. Even real old school NATO cans pour slower than death, and finding the spouts is tough. Current Milspec Sceptor cans are by far the best, but are hard as hell to source in the US anymore. When you use gas cans routinely in the field you get picky. We use them a lot. These days I usually use 15 gallon plastic fuel jugs with screw in bungs and a super siphon. Sometimes I/we use 55 gallon drums in a trailer or even in a support rig.

Mark...

My LX450 came with 3 steel Jerry cans with the cam lock lid. I purchased new gaskets for them, and the first time I used them was the last.
Last year I picked up 3 new Scepter military cans from a guy on mud who brings them in regularly from Canada. 30% lighter than steel, no leaks, and with a jiggle siphon, I don't have to move the cans off the rear carrier. Very robust and secure.
Also picked up the plastic cap wrench.
Yes, I paid $ for them, but fuel transport and storage is not an area where you want to cut corners.

My LX450 came with 3 steel Jerry cans with the cam lock lid. I purchased new gaskets for them, and the first time I used them was the last.
Last year I picked up 3 new Scepter military cans from a guy on mud who brings them in regularly from Canada. 30% lighter than steel, no leaks, and with a jiggle siphon, I don't have to move the cans off the rear carrier. Very robust and secure.
Also picked up the plastic cap wrench.
Yes, I paid $ for them, but fuel transport and storage is not an area where you want to cut corners.

So who is the member that imports these? I want to get a couple more.

I have some steel 2.5 liter cans from Hungary that have served me well for a number of years. In your situation I would look at marine fuel tanks for small boats. They come in a number of shapes and sizes and can be adapted with marine quick releases to fuel generators or whatever else without moving the tank. Usually you have to open a vent to get fuel flow. ( tanks are sealed not vented). West marine would be a starting point for your search.

Just saw what you worked out to do.

I had this issue 2 years ago with the last evacuation. I can now put some on my roof, but am thinking just to buy one of those small foldable hitch carriers and put it there for the long drive. Sucks to drive out solo though with no one to watch the vehicle with all the important stuff inside it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom