Jerky Recipes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't tell much difference myself. I usually go with the bottom round on sale, I can often get it for $3/lb. I like it a little tough, it slows me down from eating way too much jerky.

I think it's time to make some jerky, I've got at least 4lbs in the freezer! Anyone have a good jerky recipe to add, we need to "spice" this thread up.

This is the recipe I just made:

Apple Habanero

This Apple Habanero Beef Jerky recipe is another scorchingly hot jerky. Even with the apple, vinegar and sugar taming the habaneros the heat still comes through very strongly.

If you don't love spicy foods but still want to try a version of this you can reduce the number of habanero peppers used or even substitute jalapeno peppers for a much milder version of the apple habanero beef jerky.

2 cloves garlic, diced
1 shallot, diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, diced
2 sweet apples, chopped
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 habanero peppers, roughly chopped with seeds
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2# of meat of choice

The flavor was GREAT!

J

^ How do you think this would do without the ginger, apple, vinegar, sugar? I know it's probably good, but I've never like a hint of sweet in meat. I like spicy, but I've noticed peppers can make meat a little chalky tasting/texture, especially when marinated. So if I can keep the spicy and good texture, I'll be happy. (I really don't know how chemicals work in cooking, just know what tastes good)

Early Christmas gift to myself, little dehydrator. First batch turned out great, just used some basic tenderloin cuts, sliced about 1/4" thick, used the spice and cure that came with the dehydrator. Much faster to do than I thought - only about 5 hours in the machine. I'm curious about the jerky "gun" they show in the pamphlet that comes with it, I don't recall ever having jerky made form ground beef. Seems like it would be soft and easy to eat, but I kinda like to gnaw on it.

20141220_161818.jpg

Early Christmas gift to myself, little dehydrator. First batch turned out great, just used some basic tenderloin cuts, sliced about 1/4" thick, used the spice and cure that came with the dehydrator. Much faster to do than I thought - only about 5 hours in the machine. I'm curious about the jerky "gun" they show in the pamphlet that comes with it, I don't recall ever having jerky made form ground beef. Seems like it would be soft and easy to eat, but I kinda like to gnaw on it.

View attachment 1007767

Looks like a Nesco unit... I think solid slices of meat are more our/my style... "THE GUN" uses ground up meat and spices.. think Slim Jim jerky in a can.....

J

PART_1419819906126_.IMG_20141228_192439.jpg
PART_1419817525007_.IMG_20141228_184503.jpg
First of all let me say I love hunting because I love deer and elk jerky. I have not tried this recipe on anything else but deer and elk and one duck. I came up with this recipe through trial and error but it has seen 7 or 8 animal's and I love it. Everyone who tries it loves it too. I only smoke my jerky and I like it spicy so you can turn down the heat by adding less shriracha and cayenne pepper. I try to slice my meat at around 3/16th's of an inch and soak in the brine for 12 to 24 hours. Also I always use fresh cracked pepper on the meat right before it goes in the smoker and I do not rinse the brine off before the smoker and try to smoke it around 150° f for 1 to 2 hours or until done. Here is the recipe for the brine. 2 cups soy sauce, 1/2 cup worschtichire, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 4 teaspoons onion powder, 4 tablespoons salt, 3/4 to 1 cup franks red hot, 1/4 cup shriracha, 4 cups brown sugar, 6 cups water. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

Time for a thread revival!!! New favorite recipe!!!

I use pre-sliced eye of round steak from US Foods (formerly Cash and Carry).

Chad's Ultimate Jerky
For each 5 lbs of meat
2.5 C Low sodium soy sauce
10 t worcestershire sauce
10 t black pepper
5 t onion powder
5 t seasoned salt
4 t crushed red pepper
2.5 t garlic powder

1) Mix all ingredients together, let sit for min 1 hour.
2) Dip individual pieces of meat in the marinade and shake off, place them in a bowl large enough to hold all the meat.
3) Pour leftover marinade over the top of the meat in the bowl.
4) Marinade for 24-48 hours, smoke for 4-6 to desired doneness.
Refrigerate for 24-38 hours and then vacuum seal.

Notes: dust with black pepper or cayenne before smoking for additional heat/flavor

bigndn_ultimate_jerky.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom