Events/Trails JEMEZ RIDE 9/28/19, Sat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Larry, the turn off I will be taking off 550 is several miles south of Cuba, so it will better if you meet the group at intersection of Hwy 550 and state road 279 coming in from the Cabezon area.

Jeff,

Copy that. I know exactly where 279 and 550 meet and will plan to meet the group there at or before 0930 Saturday morning. Be safe and enjoy your Friday.

I’m still not sure I will make it but this sounds really fun!

I’m still not sure I will make it but this sounds really fun!
Larry and I will be out near Cabezon camping tonight and will be in San Ysidro by 8:15 am. I will not be able to check anymore messages soon. So hope you can go on this ride. The group will be leaving about 9:00 am tomorrow ,and going up hwy 550 for several miles. Then into the forest.
I plan to lead other rides in the Cabezon area later in the year.

Just a PSA. If you borrow a ham radio from someone and you don't have a license, make sure you only listen and don't transmit. You are allowed to transmit if you are sitting next to someone who has a license but with them being in the next vehicle over, that doesn't count.

A few of my pics. Thx for the great day everyone!

F3644FB6-8823-4730-B5F9-5AE0947D3FDD.jpeg

54B5D09C-EDFE-4A28-9653-5A2F17142048.jpeg

BD5D8CBE-08E3-4297-BAA6-FAE42C8C5350.jpeg

00C5A9A6-7DA2-4C39-BD95-4D4844969F99.jpeg

E8CE3765-696C-4BAE-A193-7A541DBBA89B.jpeg

Thanks for posting pics. I will post up pics tomorrow. All had a great time. Most had never been on FR 17. Some challenging spots.
One flat tire, and a broken sway bar connector on a couple of Jeeps, but nothing to stop us for long. We spotted several good camping spots, at Cabezon, last night and in the Jemez today. We saw exactly no one else all day. I love New Mexico.

Thanks for leading Jeff. One of the best led trail runs I've been on this week! :cool:

You got up early to make sure you were at the meeting spot well in advance of the meeting time, had a well laid out day with just the right amount of technical, mixed in with the best weather, options towards the end of the day, made sure the rigs and drivers were capable, great COMM and you even called the ranger to make sure stuff was open and we were in compliance.

I can see leading this type of thing is some work. Well done and a big thank you.

Thanks. I will post some pics later, But the big news is FR 376 is closed just above the Gilman tunnels for road repair and the Forest Service does Not know when this route will be reopened. This does change how you will have to go to get to any of the west part of the Jemez Mts. FYI.
COMM is interesting when I had to juggle CB and HAM mikes at the same time. I think I need a COMM person on board while I am driving. :steer:🤹‍♂️ It was all good, though.

I think we should do a camp out where Larry and I stayed Friday night, near Cabezon Peak. Great spot for multiple rigs, firewood everywhere and some of us could do some hiking on the Continental Divide Trail that went right through that area.

Why do all the Jeeps feel the need to strike a pose on that rock?

Pictures from the FR 17 ride, and Larry and Jeff's camp site by Cabezon Peak
DSCF1860.JPG
DSCF1861.JPG
DSCF1870.JPG
DSCF1889.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom