Events/Trails JEMEZ RIDE 9/28/19, Sat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am leading a trail ride, Sat 9/28/19. JEMEZ Mts. ALL Day
Meeting at San Ysidro, NM ( 22 miles north of Bernalillo, NM on hwy 550). 8:30 am meet up, group leaving 9:00 am, back around 6:00 pm. Meet at vacant lot across from gas station. Fill up in San Ysidro.
Will drive north on Hwy 550 and turn into Jemez before Cuba, NM.
Doing tight FR's with water bars, and great scenery . Bring food , water, dress for mountain weather.
Need , good off road tires, recovery hooks front and back, tow strap, low range gearing, way to air up after ride is over, radio, either CB or HAM. May be some Fall colors, should be pretty.

Doing FR 17, which is only open in the Fall, so this is your chance to drive it.

Last edited:
I am going to be in Ouray for a trail that weekend. If I wasn't I would join in. Have fun.

I’m up for it if it’s appropriate for my van. Not sure what tight FR’s with water bars means? Enlighten me please! Otherwise I’m in.

disregard, already made previous plans for mountain biking Angel Fire

Last edited:
I’m up for it if it’s appropriate for my van. Not sure what tight FR’s with water bars means? Enlighten me please! Otherwise I’m in.
This Forest Road has water bars across the road to prevent erosion. These are tall triangular shaped mounds of dirt that your van would get high centered on many of them. I think that your van would not do well on this ride. The tightness is just tree limbs that have overgrown onto the road, just possibly causing a few paint scrapes on the vehicle sides.

Larry,
We could meet you at the Hwy 550 turn off to Cabazon around 9:30 am. and I will have my HAM on 146.400, also. Hope we can connect on sat. Keep me informed.
Have 4 vehicles counting me, right now. A good size group.

this would be a good opportunity for y'all to use the Megalink repeater system ;)

Larry,
We could meet you at the Hwy 550 turn off to Cabazon around 9:30 am. and I will have my HAM on 146.400, also. Hope we can connect on sat. Keep me informed.
Have 4 vehicles counting me, right now. A good size group.
Jeff,

Right now, this is a green/go for me. I plan on heading out Friday after work around 4 or 5 pm. Juan Casaus has threatened to join me for my Friday night camp out near Cabazon. Not sure if he is going to join us on Sat or not. I pings some of the other club members, but outside of Juan, all have prior plans.

I'll ping you if something changes and/or if I have cell connection to stay synced.

I will plan to break camp early so that I will be near 550, just south of Cuba around 0930.

Cheers! Poupon.

Hello
I'm new to this group, I would be intersted in joining this ride. I don't have a HAM or a CB but i can yell if need be.
How many going as of now?

Hello
I'm new to this group, I would be intersted in joining this ride. I don't have a HAM or a CB but i can yell if need be.

Hello SWflowseeker. Welcome. I will bring my handheld HAM so you can monitor. I think there are 4 or 5 of us confirmed.

krazykat69 is our leader on this one.

Cheers!

Hello

Hello,

Welcome to the group and please start a new thread and introduce yourself! It's nice to have a name associated with an userid although, some of us remember the userid over actual names :)

IH8 = I hate

I’m interested but don’t have a radio.... is it absolutely necessary?

I’m interested but don’t have a radio.... is it absolutely necessary?

Not necessary but it is nice to know what the leader is doing in a group situation. Also helpful to prevent people from accidentally missing a turn then ending up lost. Overall, when a group communicates well within itself, it lends itself to a more pleasant outing. Most of us HAM operators have extra hand held radios to hand out as necessary.

Wow, we are picking up more 4x4's. Great.
Larry, the turn off I will be taking off 550 is several miles south of Cuba, so it will better if you meet the group at intersection of Hwy 550 and state road 279 coming in from the Cabezon area. The road I will turn the group off 550 is marked 11 ( going east off hwy 550) on Google maps, and there is not a road sign for it.

I will have my HAM on both channels, too. and CB on Channel 4.
SWflowseeker and Montijo505, welcome on the ride. If you have recovery hooks on front and back and don't mind some branches rubbing your vehicle sides, then you will do well on this ride. As I mentioned in an above post, the water bars are big and some may rub underneath on the tops of the water bars, just dirt, and it is possible one of us may get hung up, but a slight pull , with a strap, from another vehicle and the 4x4 will slide right off and we will continue on. The water bars on only on the first part of FR 17. 32 inch or bigger tires should give enough lift for clearance.
I have about 4 jeeps going along, also, from the NM4Wheelers, so we will have about 8-10 rigs, and radios are good but not necessary. Those without radios can fall into the middle of the group and I will always wait for all at intersections.
This an all day ride , so bring lunch and snacks, chair for lunch stop, and a relaxed, easy going attitude . We are checking out some real back country FR's that are not used much.
I bring a chain saw for any down trees, that might be in our way and my winch might be needed. also.
Weather looks great. Any questions, ask away.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom