Events/Trails Jemez Mountains Clean Up, Nov 2nd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all. This idea is in the very early stages of planning but I wanted to see if there is any interested club memembers willing to pitch in.

I live in the Jemez and am aware of at least three abandoned vehicles on the forest all with in about 6 miles of each other. I am sure there are more. I personally feel like this stuff detracts from the experience when visiting these areas and if left indefinitely will likely attract more of the same behavior, kinda like graffiti. I would like to see them removed and plan to discuss the possibility of doing this with the Forest Service Jemez Ranger District.

I don't know how it would work yet logistically or where the cars would after removal or even if they will let a club group do the work. I know it will take more than one person and a trailer to get this done, so i thought i would ask and see who would be interested in helping. I don't have any dates planned but expect it would be later this summer or fall before all the pieces could come together.

I would also ask that any club members that venture into the Jemez Mountains, photograph, and GPS any abandoned vehicles they find in the Jemez or even any large dump sites that need cleaned up.

I will post more as I start discussing this with the Forest Service.

could be an entertaining Recovery Training session

could be an entertaining Recovery Training session

I agree, at least one that I know of would be a good training opportunity.

The other two I think should be relatively easy. Except the route to one could be difficult with a car trailer.

The NM4Wheelers are currently working with Cibola Nat Forest Tijeras, NM to help extract an abandoned car from the Cedro peak area. They are doing this removal next sat 6/29. Check out the Calendar on their website for info. NM4W.org. Contact Frank Whiston, owner of this event. He will have much good info about working with the Forest Service to get this done. He is looking for more help, if someone wants to get hands on experience. I am out of town that weekend, so I will miss it.

Thanks Dennis for bringing this issue to the forefront, it's a good way to go wheeling and give back to the community.

I'd be interested in helping out.
My wife is the Ranger for the El Rito District on the Carson NF.
She just organized a community cleanup day where we tackled an illegal dump. I'll ask her advice on your idea. I'm sure the first thing she'd say is coordinate with the Santa Fe NF as you've mentioned...
Are you positive the cars are on FS property?

Great ! It would be great to have the help.

I reached out to the Jemez DR already. He is on a fire, so it will be a little while before I have more info.

The cars are definitely on the forest.

Hey all. This idea is in the very early stages of planning but I wanted to see if there is any interested club memembers willing to pitch in.
I will post more as I start discussing this with the Forest Service.
Juane,

Thank you for posting this idea. I was also thinking that the we should consider doing some volunteer work in the local area that could use some help. Ash and I, with other members, helped the US forest service install some signage around Mount Taylor region a few years back. Not only was it fun but it feels good to give back and sheds a positive light on the club.

I'm in on this one, subject to my availability. Let us know what develops.

Larry

I’m game sounds like fun challenge.
Also possibly in the Sandias as this is a recent deposit in Las Huertas creek. I have access to paint that the FS provided for painting over graffiti on parking barriers.

DAE37E2C-6D53-4CFD-8369-AFDE84AD5621.jpeg

I talked with the Jemez DR today and he is very supportive of the effort to remove the cars. He will give us permission to go into the closed areas to retrieve them and then we will drop them off at their storage yard. They will figure out how to actually get rid of them.

He told me about a 4th SUV I will go and look at that has been abandoned for some time. It might be beyond our capabilities but I will give it a look.

We just need to pick some dates that work and let him know in advance.

I think it might be best to discuss some of this over a club meeting one Saturday just to share as much about the task, location, obstacles, etc... we will be dealing with.

Good info and good idea to discuss over breakfast. I like the idea of teaching/promoting safe winch/recovery techniques when the vehicles aren't in the best recoverable positions/conditions. If they don't have wheels, even more complications but we might be able to temp install four wheels to make them roll worthy, assuming we scout them in advance to see what make/model the vehicles are.

I will take pictures of everything And some of the tougher obstacles that will need to be negotiated with them.

Good call on the wheels. Some would be helpful if they are available.

When I drove wreckers we just flipped the wrecks and skid them on their roof. Saves a lotta hassle and damage to your equipment. Hook around the A pillars so they don’t nose dive into the dirt, that’ll lift the nose also

I will keep track of this and see if I can make it down there

When I drove wreckers we just flipped the wrecks and skid them on their roof. Saves a lotta hassle and damage to your equipment. Hook around the A pillars so they don’t nose dive into the dirt, that’ll lift the nose also

Now that right there is good info and I can't wait to put this into practice!

Sounds like something I might like to be involved with if I could be of any help.

I am always up for a day or two of work. If needed I've got the tools to cut a car up or out of there.

I am always up for a day or two of work. If needed I've got the tools to cut a car up or out of there.

Please wear your Mad Max outfit

:bounce:

I will try to help out .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom