Jeff's New Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2010 Lexus GX 460. Stock, but mods coming soon. Here are some pics as requested. I bolted on some Metaltech sliders today. Lift and bumpers are in the mail. I love my V8!
DSCF2682.JPG
DSCF2683.JPG
DSCF2674.JPG
DSCF2695.JPG
DSCF2696.JPG

Nice! Can’t wait to see more pics as the mods continue.

How many miles on this one?

I still love my 80, but a V8 would be awesome!

Nice! Can’t wait to see more pics as the mods continue.

How many miles on this one?

I still love my 80, but a V8 would be awesome!
Got it with 123,500 miles. Most I have looked at had much higher miles. 120,000 is time for first spark plug change so I got that done and some fluid changes. "Runs like a TOP", as my Dad used to say.

I still love my 80, also, but it has to go to someone else now. Got the trailer hitch back on the 80 today and put 2nd row seats back in. It's ready to sell.

Nice ride, can't wait to see it with some mods! Congrats.
Going to put my RTT on it at some point. Never had such a nice ride. Just putting on the sliders had me noticing how well built these vehicles are. Lexus/Toyota put some real thought into this model.

It looks nice and clean, inside and out. Looks like someone took very good care of it. Curious if you found it through a private seller or a dealer? Maybe you already shared that info on another thread.

I know the 4.7 V8's are pretty bulletproof and can run for a very long time if properly maintained. Is the 4.6 V8 just a newer version of the 4.7 V8?

It looks nice and clean, inside and out. Looks like someone took very good care of it. Curious if you found it through a private seller or a dealer? Maybe you already shared that info on another thread.

I know the 4.7 V8's are pretty bulletproof and can run for a very long time if properly maintained. Is the 4.6 V8 just a newer version of the 4.7 V8?
I found it through Juan, who had found it on FaceBook Classified. I don't use Facebook. I contacted the owner. Test drove and bought it.

I am learning more about this GX. The 4.7 was in the first Generation of GX's, through 2009. The 4.6 V8 is an updated version 2010 to present. 4.7 V8 had a timing belt that needed changing every 100K miles, the 4.6 has a timing chain that does not need changing. I believe the 4.6 makes a few more "ponies " than the 4.7. This second gen GX also has a larger rear axle than what was in the 4.7 V8 generation. Don't know of other differences.

(la-la-la-la-la-la-la …)

The 4.7 was in the first Generation of GX's, through 2009. The 4.6 V8 is an updated version 2010 to present. 4.7 V8 had a timing belt that needed changing every 100K miles, the 4.6 has a timing chain that does not need changing. I believe the 4.6 makes a few more "ponies " than the 4.7. This second gen GX also has a larger rear axle than what was in the 4.7 V8 generation. Don't know of other differences.

Thanks - this is helpful info. All else equal, a timing chain is definitely better than a timing belt, and a larger/stronger axle is also a good thing. Sounds like you made a good choice!

How many gears in the tranny on this one? My 2012 Tundra is a six-speed - maybe this one is too?

Last edited:
Thanks - this is helpful info. All else equal, a timing chain is definitely better than a timing belt, and a larger/stronger axle is also a good thing. Sounds like you made a good choice!

How many gears in the tranny on this one? My 2012 Tundra is a six-speed - maybe this one is too?
6 speed gear box:D

This thread is what, almost a month old? There has to be some kind of update you can torment us lurkers with.

This thread is what, almost a month old? There has to be some kind of update you can torment us lurkers with.
X2....

I have done some things to my GX. Pictures are few right now, but I will post some soon. First, I changed all the fluids. Took off all stock skid plates. and removed the electric 3rd row seats. That removed 100 lbs of weight, just the seats!!!!

I bolted on Metal Tech sliders. That went well, since I took 3 days, not because it was difficult. I had to trim lower rocker panels and grind a metal cover protecting the KDSS box. I could not mess up the plastic panels, so I did lots of measuring, before cutting. Even reattached the "puddle lights".

Ordering bumpers, skidplates and lift has taken a long time. Pandemic put items on back order or items not being built until they are ordered.
I have bolted in an under hood ARB dual compressor and slowly getting that wired in. Bumpers, I have turned over to Desert Rat to mount. I don't have the ability to deal with these very heavy , weirdly balanced items. Good thing, cause , neither is a direct bolt on. Cutting plastic, and some custom spacers, Desert Rat is having to build, and weld on would have stopped me in my tracks.
I will be getting some of my skid plates next week and I can get them on. Skids are important since I am not building up a rock crawler, so underbelly clearance is not great.
Going to get a Gamiviti roof rack, to mount up my RTT. He does not build it until it's ordered, 6 weeks, so I will order that soon. He makes quick release pins for Batwing awning, so That is the awning I will get. One minute on/off.

Need tires, so I will be figuring out what size will not rub. Looking like 285-65-18 (32.8-11.5") or maybe 265-70,( 32.6-10.5"). 3 inch lift. Would like to go bigger, but will be doing some measuring. This GX has a lot of built in articulation.
. Stock tires are 30.5"

This build will take a while, but it is gonna be great for camping and exploring. Lots of other ideas to do , down the road. Not putting in drawers for a while, but a tailgate fold down table, sometime sooner.
Still figuring out where to mount Comm/Ham radio, antenna. Maybe using my hand held Boafeng and mag mount for a while.. Nice to not feel rushed.
That is all I can remember right now, Thanks for asking. Will need some help getting RTT on top later this summer, don't go into hiding yet...... I will find you guys and get you over here.

I will accept any input, but I may not do it!!:p

Wife and I are thinking about getting a GX to replace her car and our 14 Taco. Wanting to get something that will tow our Casita trailer and have more interior space and still be able to do some trails with. I will be following your build! I like the sliders. Metaltech makes a quality product.

Wife and I are thinking about getting a GX to replace her car and our 14 Taco. Wanting to get something that will tow our Casita trailer and have more interior space and still be able to do some trails with. I will be following your build! I like the sliders. Metaltech makes a quality product.
This V 8 would pull a Casita. Cool trailer, but I am too tall to have one. A friend had one and it was 6 feet to the ceiling, inside.
I say wait and see what happens to me.I am doing lots of mods, and I can be your guinea pig.:D🐷. Lots of aftermarket support. Wildly popular in Australia.🦘
I would also say, consider buying a 460 or a 470 GX that has already had some mods done to it, and that might save you some money. But these are good off road vehicles, even in stock form. Low range, power, comfort. You could put some good off road tires on one and maybe a few skid plates and be set up for most forest roads.
I just got some of my RCI skidplates in. HEAVY DUTY!!!.
I will keep posting what happens to my GX.

This V 8 would pull a Casita. Cool trailer, but I am too tall to have one. A friend had one and it was 6 feet to the ceiling, inside.
I say wait and see what happens to me.I am doing lots of mods, and I can be your guinea pig.:D🐷. Lots of aftermarket support. Wildly popular in Australia.🦘
I would also say, consider buying a 460 or a 470 GX that has already had some mods done to it, and that might save you some money. But these are good off road vehicles, even in stock form. Low range, power, comfort. You could put some good off road tires on one and maybe a few skid plates and be set up for most forest roads.
I just got some of my RCI skidplates in. HEAVY DUTY!!!.
I will keep posting what happens to my GX.

Hey Jeff, I'm going to mention a YouTube channel called Lifestyle Overland. They just built out a GX and it looks 👌. ARB front winch bumper, skid plates, sliders...the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom