Jeep guy gets a Landcruiser 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome back. Got a good laugh at your reaction about gas. Lol. When I was back in Manila (where traffic is the worst now ranked same as India) I thought drving a gas LC was impractical because of the soo bad traffic. Now I got here and got an LX thinking “oh traffic isn’t bad in the states esp Vegas”, boom mpg is the same. Oh well SPG (smiles per gallon).

Don’t know if anyone would agree/disagree, but once you own a yota, its just really hard to find excuses not to do it all over again.

So I took the cruiser into a local shop for an inspection today. Just to get an idea of any immediate maintenance that may be needed. In the report they stated that the "drive belt" needs replacing and they included the below photo. Is the drive belt the same as the serpentine belt? Or is it something different? Forgive my ignorance.
1582309205183_A25C1B2E-D242-48BF-85C0-86CEE43D1FC4.jpg

Yes, drive belt/serpentine belt is the same. OEM belt is Mitsuboshi and it's relatively cheap and easy to replace, i'd go ahead and replace it.

That belt is the serpentine belt. Looks to be a bit old and possibly cracked.

Yes, drive belt/serpentine belt is the same. OEM belt is Mitsuboshi and it's relatively cheap and easy to replace, i'd go ahead and replace it.

Check the tensioner pulley and idler pulley while you are there and possibly replace those based on mileage. Super easy with the belt already coming off.

Got a part number for me?

I did some googling and came up with 90916-02586 and 6PK2240 Mitsuboshi. Which one is right?

Last edited:
Got a part number for me?

I did some googling and came up with 90916-02586 and 6PK2240 Mitsuboshi. Which one is right?
Go to www.partsouq.com and type in your vin. From there go through and find the appropriate part numbers for your truck just to ensure you are getting the right thing even though most of this stuff is all similar.

That belt is the serpentine belt. Looks to be a bit old and possibly cracked.

Check the tensioner pulley and idler pulley while you are there and possibly replace those based on mileage. Super easy with the belt already coming off.
So I just checked the records from the previous owner and it looks like he had the idler bearing, tensioner bearing and the belt all changed at 180K miles. The truck is at 223K now. Since the shop said the belt should be changed I'm fine doing that, but how long should the idler and tensioner bearings last? Do those components wear separate from their pulleys?

IMG-2854.jpg

You’ll be in good shape for a long time, just pop another belt on there.
This....

Usually you will hear the bearings start making noise and that is your indicator it is time, otherwise leave them be if you have record of it being done.

Welcome. Great looking LC!

So I just checked the records from the previous owner and it looks like he had the idler bearing, tensioner bearing and the belt all changed at 180K miles. The truck is at 223K now. Since the shop said the belt should be changed I'm fine doing that, but how long should the idler and tensioner bearings last? Do those components wear separate from their pulleys?

View attachment 2218089

This service record says nothing about changing the serpentine belt idler pulley or tensioner pulley.

This service record says nothing about changing the serpentine belt idler pulley or tensioner pulley.
That was the point of my question. It just says bearings. So my question was do these two components wear independently of each other. It seems the response so far is that I’m good to go once I put in the new drive belt...which I just completed.

That was the point of my question. It just says bearings. So my question was do these two components wear independently of each other. It seems the response so far is that I’m good to go once I put in the new drive belt...which I just completed.

In both cases they were referring to the timing belt, not the serpentine belt. There is no mention of the serpentine belt pulleys or bearings only. I would assume that they have not been done, or at least were not done in that repair job.

In both cases they were referring to the timing belt, not the serpentine belt. There is no mention of the serpentine belt pulleys or bearings only. I would assume that they have not been done, or at least were not done in that repair job.

So when that service record mentions the tensioner bearing and idler bearing, that only refers to the timing belt? I mentioned the service records in response to @gregnash recommending I check the tensioner and idler pulleys while changing the drive belt.

So correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me you're saying there is a different tensioner and idler associated with the serpentine belt vs the one's on the service record because those go with the timing belt?

I'm all kinds of confused now...

So when that service record mentions the tensioner bearing and idler bearing, that only refers to the timing belt? I mentioned the service records in response to @gregnash recommending I check the tensioner and idler pulleys while changing the drive belt.

So correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me you're saying there is a different tensioner and idler associated with the serpentine belt vs the one's on the service record because those go with the timing belt?

I'm all kinds of confused now...

Yes, both belts have a idler pulley and a tensioner pulley and your service record clearly states "timing belt" in the description - in two places.

Not anything to worry about really. If they start making noise you replace them. Presumably whoever just did the serp belt tested them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom