Jean is down help me out!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon everyone I need some help again... so my 94 fzj80 “Jean” died on me a week ago. She was running great and had just done about 1000 miles on some off-road overland type adventures. Pulled up to a stop sign and she stalled not to be re started. She is doing some quite strange things now that she is back to the work shop. First she is not getting fuel. Second she will not go into any gear; locked into park. I have two other 80s so I will now list below what I have swapped and checked with a multi meter and fsm.
swapped and checked fuel pump relay and fuel pump resistor. Checked fuel pump and when jumped with 12v per fsm it runs fuel to engine (I removed fuel line at fuel filter to see). Ecu relay swapped for good one. Checked all fuses. Now Jean sounds strange when turning over like she is out of time. Please help

Are you following the Diagnostics section of the FSM, it's quite extensive.
Unfortunately that's all the advise I have to offer at this time.

You verified fuel up to or through the fuel filter?

Do you have a CEL when you turn the key to the "RUN" position? If not, it will not run.

The fuel pump on these will not run until the engine is cranking.

Check your fusible links. Probably replace them just because. Since it died suddenly, that's the first place I'd look.

If you cannot get it out of park, then it's possible you NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) is wreaking havoc.

Do you have a CEL when you turn the key to the "RUN" position? If not, it will not run.

The fuel pump on these will not run until the engine is cranking.

Check your fusible links. Probably replace them just because. Since it died suddenly, that's the first place I'd look.

If you cannot get it out of park, then it's possible you NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) is wreaking havoc.
I swapped a good fusible link in And no change. Neutral safety switch makes sense I guess

Indeed, a fuel pump will appear to be good when no pressure is required. Ask me how I know.
The NSS too is a ninja-bitch. It'll drop kick the whole shebang. Ask me how I know.
Also the stupid negative batt terminal wire and clamp. If you have a solid lead type that is stretched/cracked/trashed, get a new OEM terminal (one like the positive term) and refresh. Even just this little thing will absolutely stop the show.
There are other things to check of course, but those all are sudden failure suspects.

Fusible links still good? CEL on when turning the key?

I had my Cruiser die after making a right hand turn to head home. Complete shutoff no warning. AAA towed it the 1/5 of a mile home. I found a dead fusible link and after replacing it drove less than 100 feet before it shut off again. Brought it back to the house and after days of troubleshooting and help here, I found #5 injector wire with 4 bare spots of copper showing. It was grounding out on the valve cover and killing the fusible link.

Nobody mentioned the EFI Relay yet, so I'll throw that out there. It left me sitting dead in a parking lot years ago when the club was going on a run, and meeting there. So a one had a bag of spares and I bought 2, dropped a new one in, and it started right up. These are the relays that run very hot, and no EFI circuit will prevent engine start, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom