JDUB's 2010 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud People,

Let me introduce myself and the new to me, rig: Picked up a built out 2010 GX in Georgia, super clean and NO rust!
I am an artist and educator at a small college in New Jersey and live in the Hudson Valley of upstate New York. I teach and practice all manner of processes including; Foundry, metal fabrication, woodworking, ceramics, and digital fabrication. I run the Sculpture Department at my school and maintain the 3000+ sq feet of shop space.
I sold my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD offroad access cab with 30k miles to get into the GX platform for more interior space and a soon-to-be-growing family. While I loved my Toyota truck, even with just the wife and one dog it didn't have the space we needed in the cab. With more dogs and kids in the future, it was time to make a switch. While I did use the Tacoma as a truck for moving material, I also have a utility trailer that will become the primary hauler now.
With the previous truck, I built all sorts of custom stuff including skids and recovery points. I was gearing up to begin fabricating bumpers when I made the switch. Needless to say, I did not expect to get a built-out GX but this 2010 was too good a deal to pass up. I will be keeping most things for a bit, to get accustomed to the new whip, but already scheming on the changes...

Look for lots of DIY fabricating in my thread and offroading! I plan on making CAD files for various parts I design, to be share with the community, as I did with the Tacoma group.

2010 GX base in Tungsten Pearl and black interior

List of modifications as I purchased it 09/16/2021 with 108K miles:

Suspension:
Dobinson GS59-700 shocks
Dobinson Medium Duty Springs (not sure which #)
SPC UCAs

Armor:
Rocky Road Sliders-flat no kick-out
Complete ARB Skid set
Treaty Oak Recovery Points
Ironman Classic Front Bumper

Wheels:
GX460 wheels 17"
Falken Rubitreck 265/70/17 with full size spare
(Came with unmounted OEM 460 18" wheels)

Accessories:
Smitty Built 12K Winch with steel line
Kaon Rear Door Table
Peddle Commander
Red Arc Brake Controller
Ironman Roof Platform
Ironman 6.5ft Awning
Ironman Snorkle
Rubber OEM mats all around
Probably a few other things I'm forgetting

Maintenance:
All the good stuff done in the last 20K- Secondary air injection pump and injectors replaced under Lexus extended warranty 92k -Water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, and serpentine belt was done at 97k, Oil changes every 5K

The BIG PLAN: Suspension first, the rest in time.
  • Suspension: Swap out the medium-duty springs for C59-354 in the front and C59-677V or the 701s in the rear
  • Upgraded links and PHB, maybe the PHK to relocate the PHB
  • Already purchased a Canvasback Cargo liner for the third and second row.
  • The ARB skids are only 1/8 wall, so I am going to use them as a template and design my own in 3/16 steel or 1/4 aluminum. I've used both for skids, the aluminum is strong enough and lighter but is a little gummy over rocks.
  • Design and build a rear diff skid
  • Bumpers: Not the biggest fan of the Ironman on the front, plus it appears to negatively affect the approach angle. After a little time, maybe next spring I'm going to build a hybrid tube/plate bumper. Rear: Already planning and designing a rear high clearance plate bumper with a hitch and 1 possibly 2 swing outs, hopefully, finish before winter.
  • I want to make some rooftop assesories mounts for the platform to mount Max tracks, spare tire, shovel etc.
  • Planning an aggressive BMC and some inner fender messaging maybe pinch weld mashing
  • Wheels/tires: Undetermined at the moment but something in the 17" -12 offset area. Would like to try and fit some 285/75/17s. Hoping I can get some info from the forum on people that run that size and what they have done to fit. Don't want to trim the wheel wells just yet... but eventually as I don't like glass fenders.
  • ARB lockers front and rear
  • Re-gear to 4.88s... maybe something else depending on the research
  • Air manifold/holding tank
  • Built-in compressor: have small Vivair may go ARB twin
  • Dual battery set up/Redarc charge controller/Auxilary fuse block-debating on building it all in the rear under a covered panel on the wall below the third window.
  • Eventually remove thrid row and build a drawer system.

Heres an image of it on its way home from Georgia to New York.

IMG_2373.jpg

Nice mod list!!

... I see lockers are in the works but MTS and Crawl can't hurt for some scenarios

Had both on my 3rd Gen Tacoma. While I do think they work as intended, I really only used them just to use them. I’ve seen side by side crawl vs lockers and lockers win everytime. For now it’s off the list. But seems like an easy mod so….

Congrats! And welcome to the forum!

Started working on the design for a sleek roof rack. The Iron Man platform that came on my GX is not very functional.

Anyone that has a Prinsu/UpTopOverland/Victory or another similar type system: What would you wish your rack had? Any changes you would make?

once complete I will post the cut files for anyone that wants to take a crack and making their own.

Most likely will cut this out if 1/4 aluminum.

Side note: If anyone has or knows where to find a 1:1 scale 3D model of 2010-2013 let me know. Currently using a 14-current model, for the rack its fine but I want to tackle a rear bumper next.
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 11.32.14 AM.png

Reactions: KNR
Started working on the design for a sleek roof rack. The Iron Man platform that came on my GX is not very functional.

Anyone that has a Prinsu/UpTopOverland/Victory or another similar type system: What would you wish your rack had? Any changes you would make?

once complete I will post the cut files for anyone that wants to take a crack and making their own.

Most likely will cut this out if 1/4 aluminum.

Side note: If anyone has or knows where to find a 1:1 scale 3D model of 2010-2013 let me know. Currently using a 14-current model, for the rack its fine but I want to tackle a rear bumper next.
View attachment 2809530
I've been looking for an STL, IGES, etc. of any year GX460.
How large is your GX file? Can you share it??

I've been looking for an STL, IGES, etc. of any year GX460.
How large is your GX file? Can you share it??
Won't appear to let me upload a .obj or the zip, but if you message me your email I can send it that way. Its 48.5 mb

Finally had time to wrench on the rig for the first time. Did an oil change and installed a FUMOTO valve. In the process found that the previous owner did not attach the ARB skid correctly, to the frame or bumper. Luckily I had some spare grade 8 hardware laying around from my Tacoma and a drill to extend the mounting holes a 1/2 inch. Now she is all buttoned up and ready to hit the trail this weekend!
99EFD1E4-CB3C-4E97-9EA8-CECDD1DA53BC.jpeg
3086DE35-8285-499F-9A98-565D1032D2F5.jpeg

Also installed some CANVASBack liners, they seem super well made. Perfect fit!!! I got the side covers as well but am hesitating on installing them. Did a test and the adhesive didn’t stick so well. Might need to heatgun it a little. Plus the PO put a ton of product in the plastic and it’s slippery. Might wait till I did the seat delete to workshop the side covers. In The meantime I’m going to build an insert for the cup holder that protects the flat top from my dogs nails.

88D02C92-1E2C-43D6-9FB2-6D7B5F281FEC.jpeg
C90F9CC6-31FB-46D7-B8F2-DB3D9B641860.jpeg

243AA51D-7269-4836-BF03-13FFDE2C72B7.jpeg

Finally some movement on the build front!
Ordered new Dobinson springs to bring me up to a full 3” of lift front and back, kdss spacers, diff drop and PCK. Excited to get to work!!

Pulled the sliders and under door molding off because I had some rubbing on the underside of the front passenger door. Will prob leave the molding off for good as to avoid a repeat problem when the sliders flex on rocks. Looking at the sliders I’m not super confident in the outrigger arms.. considering building my own… definitly don’t have the time, but..
C41B9623-2589-4A46-995E-D8D718283FB6.jpeg
C543D1C8-C5C9-4FF4-A02C-DFAAFE2E9243.jpeg
9771579D-0F41-4C66-AB82-AC5233242958.jpeg

Pulled the ARB skids to asses the damage from the last outing.. more than I realized. Had to hammer them a little to even get the socket over one of the bolts. Also looks like I bent one of the tabs on the front subframe rail.. nothing major, should be able to bend it back. Will be leaving them off and designing/building my own from 3/16 steel.
49F0A4B6-AFE2-4DFD-ABC8-EA32680661AD.jpeg
C96E0AE4-E9E7-4575-9302-D0445A0EAC6C.jpeg

Those mounting "outrigger" tubes look like 1/2" x 1" tubing. Not very encouraging.
Were they even strong enough to support your rig as a jacking point?

Those mounting "outrigger" tubes look like 1/2" x 1" tubing. Not very encouraging.
Were they even strong enough to support your rig as a jacking point?
Never used it as a jack point, and it's 1"X1" tubing, not sure of the wall thickness. At the least ill build new larger supports and angle the slider up 15-20 degrees. Would love a kick out as well, if I'm going to build the whole thing new.

Reactions: r2m
I got me a JD2 bender! Haven’t set it up yet, seems like the time for it. Currently it’s manual drive, but looking to get a hydraulic assist down the road.
I have the manual also and wish I had the hydraulic. I had to bolt it to my garage floor.
Just a tip if keep it as manual and you don't want to bolt it to your garage (wherever) floor, if your handy enough with welding you can make a hitch mount to hold the stand and do your bending off the back of your rig.

Got my upgrades in the mail! Now to pencil in some time and get a spring compressor..
CE21B806-B574-4C5F-B5FB-AACEC8210C1D.jpeg

Also started to set up the tube bender! Big moves coming.
9B41018F-C7EA-4F89-A635-9605AFAB4785.jpeg

Swag makes a pretty cheap part to covert the model 32 to hydraulic, coupled with a 100$ HF arm it’s not too expensive. Think I’m going this route ASAP, instead of monkeying around with trying to do it manually.

Got my upgrades in the mail! Now to pencil in some time and get a spring compressor.. View attachment 2994721
Also started to set up the tube bender! Big moves coming.
View attachment 2994723
Just did filpped the suspension on my wifes third gen 4runner. Did the autozone spring compressor thing but had to pull them and change the perch. Second time I used the “truck as a spring compressor” method and it was SOOOOOOOO much easier/safer. Might be tougher on the GX beacuse the sawy is bolted to the LCA, but if you drop the sway bar anyway it should be just as easy I don’t think I’ll ever use a widow maker compressor again after seeing how much easier / safer the on truck method is. Might try it on my GX to djust the perches soon.

Swag makes a pretty cheap part to covert the model 32 to hydraulic, coupled with a 100$ HF arm it’s not too expensive. Think I’m going this route ASAP, instead of monkeying around with trying to do it manually.
You will like SWAGs tools. I purchased the hydraulic press finger brake. Excellent tool.

Hello Mud People,

Let me introduce myself and the new to me, rig: Picked up a built out 2010 GX in Georgia, super clean and NO rust!
I am an artist and educator at a small college in New Jersey and live in the Hudson Valley of upstate New York. I teach and practice all manner of processes including; Foundry, metal fabrication, woodworking, ceramics, and digital fabrication. I run the Sculpture Department at my school and maintain the 3000+ sq feet of shop space.
I sold my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD offroad access cab with 30k miles to get into the GX platform for more interior space and a soon-to-be-growing family. While I loved my Toyota truck, even with just the wife and one dog it didn't have the space we needed in the cab. With more dogs and kids in the future, it was time to make a switch. While I did use the Tacoma as a truck for moving material, I also have a utility trailer that will become the primary hauler now.
With the previous truck, I built all sorts of custom stuff including skids and recovery points. I was gearing up to begin fabricating bumpers when I made the switch. Needless to say, I did not expect to get a built-out GX but this 2010 was too good a deal to pass up. I will be keeping most things for a bit, to get accustomed to the new whip, but already scheming on the changes...

Look for lots of DIY fabricating in my thread and offroading! I plan on making CAD files for various parts I design, to be share with the community, as I did with the Tacoma group.

2010 GX base in Tungsten Pearl and black interior

List of modifications as I purchased it 09/16/2021 with 108K miles:

Suspension:
Dobinson GS59-700 shocks
Dobinson Medium Duty Springs (not sure which #)
SPC UCAs

Armor:
Rocky Road Sliders-flat no kick-out
Complete ARB Skid set
Treaty Oak Recovery Points
Ironman Classic Front Bumper

Wheels:
GX460 wheels 17"
Falken Rubitreck 265/70/17 with full size spare
(Came with unmounted OEM 460 18" wheels)

Accessories:
Smitty Built 12K Winch with steel line
Kaon Rear Door Table
Peddle Commander
Red Arc Brake Controller
Ironman Roof Platform
Ironman 6.5ft Awning
Ironman Snorkle
Rubber OEM mats all around
Probably a few other things I'm forgetting

Maintenance:
All the good stuff done in the last 20K- Secondary air injection pump and injectors replaced under Lexus extended warranty 92k -Water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, and serpentine belt was done at 97k, Oil changes every 5K

The BIG PLAN: Suspension first, the rest in time.
  • Suspension: Swap out the medium-duty springs for C59-354 in the front and C59-677V or the 701s in the rear
  • Upgraded links and PHB, maybe the PHK to relocate the PHB
  • Already purchased a Canvasback Cargo liner for the third and second row.
  • The ARB skids are only 1/8 wall, so I am going to use them as a template and design my own in 3/16 steel or 1/4 aluminum. I've used both for skids, the aluminum is strong enough and lighter but is a little gummy over rocks.
  • Design and build a rear diff skid
  • Bumpers: Not the biggest fan of the Ironman on the front, plus it appears to negatively affect the approach angle. After a little time, maybe next spring I'm going to build a hybrid tube/plate bumper. Rear: Already planning and designing a rear high clearance plate bumper with a hitch and 1 possibly 2 swing outs, hopefully, finish before winter.
  • I want to make some rooftop assesories mounts for the platform to mount Max tracks, spare tire, shovel etc.
  • Planning an aggressive BMC and some inner fender messaging maybe pinch weld mashing
  • Wheels/tires: Undetermined at the moment but something in the 17" -12 offset area. Would like to try and fit some 285/75/17s. Hoping I can get some info from the forum on people that run that size and what they have done to fit. Don't want to trim the wheel wells just yet... but eventually as I don't like glass fenders.
  • ARB lockers front and rear
  • Re-gear to 4.88s... maybe something else depending on the research
  • Air manifold/holding tank
  • Built-in compressor: have small Vivair may go ARB twin
  • Dual battery set up/Redarc charge controller/Auxilary fuse block-debating on building it all in the rear under a covered panel on the wall below the third window.
  • Eventually remove thrid row and build a drawer system.

Heres an image of it on its way home from Georgia to New York.

View attachment 2788812
Currently running the 285/75/17 with aggressive BMC. Just completed 4:88s, ARB lockers front and rear. The re-gearing by far has improved drivability, acceleration, freeway performance and low range compression braking. First long trip fuel economy penciled out at 14 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom