JDM windshield warning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If your windshield has AS2 marking this could happen to you,this is from a rock that was kicked up from a passing vehicle.
102_2194.jpg
102_2197.jpg

That happened to me in my BJ74 on the highway from Calgary to Edmonton. Unfortunately, I still had 2 hours of driving to get home.

Hopefully you were close to home when it happened.

We were 3 hours from our snow boarding destination made it there safely,then the glass started dropping out when we pull into the condo parking lot.
The next day we strapped on the ski gogles and drove into Kelowna to replace it,that was probably a sight for oncoming traffic

It has something to do with their (JDM) philosophy on crashes vs European standards.

I heard (this is all hearsay btw) that the Japanese glass is designed to shatter but not break through to keep you from being flung from the vehicle, whereas the Euro take on it is that they want you to not encounter any resistance (which they feel would hurt you more) as you fly through the now broken windshield.

All Japanese windscreens (JDM that is) will do this.

Craig,
this statement is total BS.
the JDM windshields have different stampings.
AS1 which is prevelant in Japan and all over the world is the same as ours (where do you think our factory windshields come from? the US?)
AS2 was installed in a very few JDM vehicles.
Charla, Urban Carrot and Dieselier are the only ones i have heard of that have had this windshield.

It has something to do with their (JDM) philosophy on crashes vs European standards.

All Japanese windscreens (JDM that is) will do this.

I got a genuine TOYOTA replacement windshield for my BJ73 in Calgary, it came over from Vancouver

The window on my BJ 74 has a rock chip and a small crack like 1.5" . It hasnt gotten any worse when a vehicle passed us on the Mackenzie Highway NWT. doing around 150km , we were doing about 80km/h enjoying the scennery . We saw this golf ball sized stone coming at us. I was impressed just a chip and a crack 1.5".

AFAIK glass markings and correct location are part of the inspection process, just as LHD headlights are. Whoever inspected these vehicles when they came into Canada...

Windshields in North America are to be laminated (AS1) only. In fact, AS1 can be used in every location, but typically is used only where required.

Tempered glass (AS2) can be used in all other locations.

As Wayne has said, I've heard of very very few which have come over with AS2 in the front. It's a quick fix to get it AS1 as the glass, as mentioned, is available.

The AS number stands for American Standard, and is "AS" (or "American Standard") followed by a number indicating the position in which the glass may be used, based on its optical quality. AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield), AS2 is tempered with at least 70% light transmissions, and can be used anywhere except the windshield, and AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered, and has less than 70% light transmission). There are higher numbers used for other purposes, but are not normally encountered in cars. This number must be near the manufacturer's name/logo, preferably below it (per Z26.1996).

http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Greg

I beg to differ with Crusher I have imported several JDMs with AS2 marking on the windshield so it must be common in Japan whether it is a replacement windshield or not it had TOYOTA markings on it.
For now on I will replace the wndshields with the AS1 marking, I do not want to go through that experience again it sounded like someone fired a 44 magnum at close range through my windshield.

Craig,
this statement is total BS.

EASY WAYNE! I prefaced it by saying it was hearsay, i don't know who i heard it from. It was shortly after Charla's however.

Are you the definitive authority on windshield engineering? I admit I don't know.

no, i am not the definate authority on anything.
i have imported hundreds of JDM vehicles and have yet to have a SINGLE AS2 windshield arrive.

so, yes, that statement:

<All Japanese windscreens (JDM that is) will do this.>

is pure BS

Where did you find a replacement windshield for a BJ-74?

Charla's replacement came from my local Toyota dealer. Took less than a week and was not expensive.

I'd never heard of an example that wasn't 70 series though. Interesting to see the same problem in a 60. Anybody know about a 80 series with a similar story?

Craig, you should re read your first post. Besides being BS :p I don't think you even said what you meant to say.

Craig, you should re read your first post. Besides being BS :p I don't think you even said what you meant to say.

BS: intentional misleading. Mistaken: self-explanatory.

I believe I was mistaken, BS is a bit harsh.

I did admit right at the beginning that it was hearsay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom