JDM Meets USA | Introduction To My HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks! Introducing myself on this forum - former lurker.

For years, I've wanted a dedicated platform for remote travel, camping, and wheeling. While I had originally done this with my Tacoma, the time and effort required to make it highly capable would also ruin its daily driving ability. That, and if something went wrong off the beaten path, I'd be without a vehicle for quite some time. This inevitably lead me down a rabbit hole, culminating in a decision: an analog wagon/SUV platform, one with plenty of aftermarket/OEM/online support. Plus, something with minimal electronics would allow me to learn more about increasing my mechanical abilities over a long period of time.

These and other reasons confirmed that an 80 would be right for me. However, the US spec 80s have a few draw backs, chiefly their range. Researching engine and drivetrain options allowed me to determine exactly what I wanted to look for, based on import regulations and WI statutes: a 1995 HDJ81 turbodiesel, specifically with the 1HD-FT engine mated to an A442F transmission.

Last year, I found just the thing on BaT, with approximately 74k original miles on the clock and essentially no rust.

DSCF2360 (2).jpg

My intention is to convert the back into a miniature camper, of sorts, and continue baselining/modifying/learning this year. Following that, assuming all goes well, cross country USA and Canada trips will be made.

There are a few advantages to the JDM 80s that, IMO, should have been optional or standard here in the states. The engine itself aside, spare wheel tire carriers and LSD differentials were never offered, by comparison (at least, not to my knowledge). Other small items would add up too, like the fact that the axles articulate in parallel with one another instead of opposite.

Regardless, I'm happy to join the forum and learn/contribute more!

- Pat

Congrats. Just finished a JDM upgrade and looking to finish another by summer. Almost everything is available but you gotta try a little harder to find stuff

congrats! More pics please!! :p
Twist my arm, why don't ya...

These were taken on a shakedown trip shortly after receiving the 80 and baselining some of the fluids/belts. The PO put the bumper, wheels/tires, and 5100s on, all of which have been replaced or are in the process (no new pics yet). I will probably put together a build thread.

DSCF2127 (2).jpg

DSCF2242 (2).jpg

Great looking cruiser!!
I also have an HDJ81, though an earlier 12 valve model.
I agree that the factory rear spare tire carrier, the 1HDT engine and the LSD are sweet benefits that should have been more widely offered. I'm happy to have all of those on my cruiser.

I like your big bubble window guards!

Cheers!

Great looking cruiser!!
I also have an HDJ81, though an earlier 12 valve model.
I agree that the factory rear spare tire carrier, the 1HDT engine and the LSD are sweet benefits that should have been more widely offered. I'm happy to have all of those on my cruiser.

I like your big bubble window guards!

Cheers!

Thanks very much!

I wasn't originally a fan of the window guards, but they've really grown on me and are super practical, as I sleep in the vehicle when on trips or camping.

The body on yours looks CLEAN. Nicely done. I've got a 91 HDJ VX80 as well. The AC powered fridge and ice maker may be the weirdest/best thing about that trim package.

Looking forward to seeing your build out!

The body on yours looks CLEAN. Nicely done. I've got a 91 HDJ VX80 as well. The AC powered fridge and ice maker may be the weirdest/best thing about that trim package.

Looking forward to seeing your build out!

Truth. I was debating a dvs shift console but realized I'd lose the fridge. No thanks.

There are a few advantages to the JDM 80s that, IMO, should have been optional or standard here in the states. The engine itself aside, spare wheel tire carriers and LSD differentials were never offered, by comparison (at least, not to my knowledge). Other small items would add up too, like the fact that the axles articulate in parallel with one another instead of opposite.

Nice truck. I'm confused on what the last part of this statement is trying to say. There is no difference in the way the axles are mounted between US and JDM 80s. They are solid axles with coils front and rear.

Here is another JDM quirk. The license plate holes are wider.
Yup.
I had to take a dremel to my brand new license plate to make it fit.

And we have headlight washers!

Also, mine has full manual seats (aside from the electric lumbar adjustment), so no gears to replace!

We should start a JDM 80 appreciation thread with all these goodies!

Yup.
I had to take a dremel to my brand new license plate to make it fit.

And we have headlight washers!

Also, mine has full manual seats (aside from the electric lumbar adjustment), so no gears to replace!

We should start a JDM 80 appreciation thread with all these goodies!

I haven't reinstalled mine after my wreck. And I think my dvs bumper doesn't accommodate them. You can order one that way, but I didn't.

Nice truck. I'm confused on what the last part of this statement is trying to say. There is no difference in the way the axles are mounted between US and JDM 80s. They are solid axles with coils front and rear.

Thanks!

What I meant was, with LHD US spec 80s, the front axle has a bias to the left when it flexes or articulates, while the rear axle has a bias to the right; opposite each other. Whereas RHD JDM spec 80 axles both have a bias to the right, flexing or articulating in parallel.

I could totally be wrong here, just what I've experienced.

Good looking rig. How did you run the cox for the CB?

Here is another JDM quirk. The license plate holes are wider.

Yep. I ordered the blox racing kit, decently nice aluminum adapter brackets, works with the front perfect, the rear I had to get some shorter M6 bolts from Ace Hardware and now it works great. Wanted security bolts anyway. No cutting required.

We should start a little US 1HD-FT thread, there are very few of us so far.

Yep. I ordered the blox racing kit, decently nice aluminum adapter brackets, works with the front perfect, the rear I had to get some shorter M6 bolts from Ace Hardware and now it works great. Wanted security bolts anyway. No cutting required.

We should start a little US 1HD-FT thread, there are very few of us so far.

I just marked and drilled holes in the plate. I only have to run a rear as mine is old enough to have collector plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom