JDM Meets USA | Introduction To My HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was temporary just to have basic comms - connected to a yodaTEQ mount, then run underneath a sleeping platform to the center console. I'm redoing it soon.

Okay, I plan on using the same mount but need to figure out how to run the coax. I am thinking about something like this to run the cable Scan Strut

Question for the rest of you guys:
My HDJ81 has a really annoying chime to let me know if I have left the sunroof open when I turn the car off. But there is no chime to let me know I left my headlights on. Does anyone know if they are all like this, or if there's something I can fix to help it let me know when I leave my lights on?
Thanks!

My HDJ81 has a really annoying chime to let me know if I have left the sunroof open when I turn the car off. But there is no chime to let me know I left my headlights on. Does anyone know if they are all like this, or if there's something I can fix to help it let me know when I leave my lights on?
Thanks!

Mine doesn't chime when the headlights are on. I've never used the sunroof so I can't confirm that chime.

Thanks very much!

I wasn't originally a fan of the window guards, but they've really grown on me and are super practical, as I sleep in the vehicle when on trips or camping.
The guards also keep rain out of the door sills. I can still see shiny paint in my drain holes on my 91 HDJ

My headlights turn off when I turn the ignition off.
Mine are aftermarket. I believe DEPO. The wiring between factory and the headlights looks amateur at best. Are your headlights factory?
Maybe that explains it.
Thanks!

Thanks!
Mine is the same; however, if I leave the lights on when I shut down the truck, the lights will turn off when I open the driver's door. Lights will not turn on without the key in the ignition once the truck is off. The only way my lights will stay on is if I use the turbo timer to let the truck shut down. Then the lights do not turn off because the driver's door doesn't get opened after shutdown.

Do your lights not turn off if you open the door after shutdown if they are left switched on?

Mine are aftermarket. I believe DEPO. The wiring between factory and the headlights looks amateur at best. Are your headlights factory?
Maybe that explains it.
Thanks!

That's because they had to adapt the headlights to different bulbs. I changed the amateur wiring in mine. But that shouldn't effect headlight operation.
Mine is the same; however, if I leave the lights on when I shut down the truck, the lights will turn off when I open the driver's door. Lights will not turn on without the key in the ignition once the truck is off. The only way my lights will stay on is if I use the turbo timer to let the truck shut down. Then the lights do not turn off because the driver's door doesn't get opened after shutdown.

Do your lights not turn off if you open the door after shutdown if they are left switched on?

No. What year is yours? Mine will stay on until the battery dies. Ask me how I know.

You're correct. I was mistaken. They turn off when you open the door.

Mine are OEM

That's helpful!
My DEPO headlights have a DRL (the angel eyes part) that always turn on when the truck is running, and also stay on until I open the door. Given the extra hots and grounds run to the headlights, I suspect my headlights are wired always hot through the switch, and they used the DRL's off the regular circuit?
Did these trucks have factory DRL's? If not, then there is an additional circuit off the ignition to run them....

The Japanese are really into all their gadgety electronics, and I've already stripped out some wiring from the rear camera, and something run off the rear taillights...

The plot thickens...

That's helpful!
My DEPO headlights have a DRL (the angel eyes part) that always turn on when the truck is running, and also stay on until I open the door. Given the extra hots and grounds run to the headlights, I suspect my headlights are wired always hot through the switch, and they used the DRL's off the regular circuit?
Did these trucks have factory DRL's? If not, then there is an additional circuit off the ignition to run them....

The Japanese are really into all their gadgety electronics, and I've already stripped out some wiring from the rear camera, and something run off the rear taillights...

The plot thickens...
My 95 has automatic lights but no DRL. The side lights are "cornering lights" that come on with the turn signal. Same thing when I shut my truck off, lights stay on until I open the door.

My 91 doesn't have drl. It has a dual filament hi/lo and a fog. And the lights aren't automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom