JDM HZJ73 rear seat belts? Euro roll bar source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting the hunt for parts for my new incoming new obsession.

Anyone know where I might be able to find a Euro spec bolt in roll bar with factory seat belts? Any other options? I've got a munchkin who will be rolling with me in this thing. Has a nice, clean factory seat that I don't want to molest. For now she's still in a car seat and I can make a latch system work with by bolting high strength latches to the floor or installing lap belts. Either option works fine but involves drilling into the floor (I did it in my FJ40 and my Jeep). It would be way cooler to find an OE style replacement with shoulder belts. Someday I'll have to strap her in sans child seat.

At some point I'm planning on a cage, but this would be a pretty sweet stand bolt on solution in the mean time...

Thanks!

Check out page 2 of this thread for what I did.

Internal Rollcage pics?

Hired out an internal roll cage build. Sourced Euro spec 70 series rear fold and tumble seat which sits further back above the wheel wells due to thinner 'wings' on the bottom portion. Had cage fabricator set up mounts on the cage for the seat as well as for aftermarket 3 point seatbelt.

Couldn't skimp on safety for the kids in back

Let me know if you'd like more/better pics or any other details.

Check out page 2 of this thread for what I did.

Internal Rollcage pics?

Hired out an internal roll cage build. Sourced Euro spec 70 series rear fold and tumble seat which sits further back above the wheel wells due to thinner 'wings' on the bottom portion. Had cage fabricator set up mounts on the cage for the seat as well as for aftermarket 3 point seatbelt.

Couldn't skimp on safety for the kids in back

Let me know if you'd like more/better pics or any other details.

Ha my only question is could be reproduce and ship one?

I added one to my BJ74 (thanks to Delancy). The 74 had holes in the pillar bar but no captive nuts. Also there are no plates for the rear legs to attach to. The factory fasteners are 10x1.25mm but I could not locate nutserts in that dimension. I used 8x1.25 nutserts in the pillar bar with the hardest bolts I could locate. I through-bolted the rear legs with 10mm bolts. You will need to shim between the bar bottom plate and the wheelhouse to even things up. I used stacks of the largest diameter 3/8 inch fender washers I could find.

Those cages are hard to find even here, so a replica sits in mine!
025.jpg

Those cages are hard to find even here, so a replica sits in mine!View attachment 1286725

That's what I would like to end up with at the least. I wouldn't feel insane taking the top off on the street and enough to hold the weight of the truck during an Offroad flop. I might add some tube clamps and another bar before the factory roll bar thingy to stiffen it a little.

I added one to my BJ74 (thanks to Delancy). The 74 had holes in the pillar bar but no captive nuts. Also there are no plates for the rear legs to attach to. The factory fasteners are 10x1.25mm but I could not locate nutserts in that dimension. I used 8x1.25 nutserts in the pillar bar with the hardest bolts I could locate. I through-bolted the rear legs with 10mm bolts. You will need to shim between the bar bottom plate and the wheelhouse to even things up. I used stacks of the largest diameter 3/8 inch fender washers I could find.

Do you have any pictures of the install incase I have to follow the same process?

No but I can walk you through it.

Ha my only question is could be reproduce and ship one?

I'm sure it would be possible to reproduce but easier to have fabbed locally. Happy to take detailed pics and measurements if you're interested, including what it looks like with the top off.

Pretty much anything can be shipped ;). Both would require $$$$$. You'd also have to modify the floor in the rear with at least metal backing plates and drilled holes.

If you're looking for the OEM look I think everything people have said above is the way to go. But as has been said, you're going to be modifying your floor either way and if you're looking for strength and function I would personally opt for something like I've had done. Not that OEM is unsafe or wouldn't protect rear passengers, but I'm fairly certain the cage I had built exceeds OEM safety and protection.

Good luck

I'm fairly certain the cage I had built exceeds OEM safety and protection.

I'm fairly certain that claim could be made if fabbed at a local exhaust shop, with no more than a bench mounted vise, couple of pounds of sand, and a 4' cheater.

Don't think Mr T intended safety or protection, but an afterthought on upper seatbelt mounting for the markets that mandated rear shoulder belts.

When planning true roll protection in discussions with fabricators that know, the structural integrity of the cabrio (for lack of better) and it's ability to maintain under vehicle weight, begged questioning and was ruled out as providing any.

The OEM 'seat belt mounting apparatus' is as comforting as the windshield header when daydreaming about spinning around change from the center console, as it's suspended in midair (which I've done in a later Cruiser and can STILL close my eyes and still see fifteen George Washington faces, laughing at my epic fail, several years later). O

All that said......

If the cage doesn't have A, B, and C pillars mounted to/supported by bases attached to the frame and attached to each other, there's no more guarantee than the OE, since the sheet metal floor/wheel wells provide absolutely zero calculable value to any equation.

@joekatana has sourced the assemblies from Europe, may be able to source more, may have the wheel wells with the mounting base available now, and is more reasonable pricing goods than anyone I've dealt with, by a more than fair margin.

Well, I still like the one you cast off to me......:)

I'm fairly certain that claim could be made if fabbed at a local exhaust shop, with no more than a bench mounted vise, couple of pounds of sand, and a 4' cheater.

When planning true roll protection in discussions with fabricators that know, the structural integrity of the cabrio (for lack of better) and it's ability to maintain under vehicle weight, begged questioning and was ruled out as providing any.

All that said......

If the cage doesn't have A, B, and C pillars mounted to/supported by bases attached to the frame and attached to each other, there's no more guarantee than the OE, since the sheet metal floor/wheel wells provide absolutely zero calculable value to any equation.

Agreed on most points. And I know you're not comparing my cage to that of what an exhaust shop would fab but to be clear...

Of course a cage with A, B and C pillars with bases attached to frame and each other is the BEST protection. But this is not an all or nothing kind of thing. There are cages that provide better than OE protection but not necessarily the best, for example mine. You'll note in the pictures I posted that my cage has B and C pillars mounted to bases and attached to each other, just not the frame. The seat, 3 point belt mounts and cage are essentially one piece. IF it were to rip out of the floor it would be a self-contained unit and provide a degree of protection well above and well beyond that of the OE setup, a modified OE setup or something meant to look OE but stronger. And nobody is walking away from an event with that kind of force anyway.

I opted not to due a full cage with A pillars and plates tied into B and C stuff because of the lack of real estate to put the bar work in the front of the cab. I could still tie into the frame for the cage I have currently but my needs don't warrant it. My JDM spec truck came without even the OE bar and NO seat belts. I needed to make it safe for my daughters to ride back there which meant at least 3 point harnesses and a cage with some structural integrity. I accomplished my goals.

Just because you don't have "A, B, and C pillars mounted to/supported by bases attached to the frame and attached to each other" does NOT mean you have "no more guarantee than OE". That's like saying a 5 point harness provides no more protection than a 3 point and that a 3 point provides no more protection than a lap belt and that a lap belt...blah, blah, blah. Pseudo rant/soap box over

Hope the OP puts together what works best for him/her

Don't think Mr T intended safety or protection, but an afterthought on upper seatbelt mounting for the markets that mandated rear shoulder belts.

The OEM 'seat belt mounting apparatus' is as comforting as the windshield header when daydreaming about spinning around change from the center console, as it's suspended in midair (which I've done in a later Cruiser and can STILL close my eyes and still see fifteen George Washington faces, laughing at my epic fail, several years later). O

All that said......

@joekatana has sourced the assemblies from Europe, may be able to source more, may have the wheel wells with the mounting base available now, and is more reasonable pricing goods than anyone I've dealt with, by a more than fair margin.

I'm not intending this to take the place of the full cage and not I haven't seen one of these in person, appears to be better than nothing, who knows, maybe I'm wrong but if the price is right I'll give it a shot. I'm trying to stay away from doing a full cage because when I do a cage I want to go full retard with it, and I was planning on doing that on round 2 of this thing.

You bring up good points of course, but this wasn't an attempt making Ultra 4 ready, just getting something in place. Not my first Land Cruiser rodeo ;)

Well, I still like the one you cast off to me......:)

It was that or a virgin, commanded offerings according to Shamanistic lore, and the cage was a helluva lot easier to source and ship. ;)

Needs more triangulation..... :flipoff2:

[That's humor, that not everyone may get.

If it ain't funny, it ain't nothing to get bent out of shape about, 'cause it ain't about 'your cage' specifically, nor was I/am I knocking your junk.

As a matter of fact, hadn't seen the link until trying to figure out what you were talking about, and if you like it, great!]

I want to go full retard with it...

Skip all steps planned before the above, take a lot of pics, because we all love the depths of those builds.

You bring up good points of course, but this wasn't an attempt making Ultra 4 ready, just getting something in place.

Again, I ain't knocking anything short of NASCAR certified cage, only saying there's a right way, all other ways, then there's Mr Ts seat belt mounting apparatus which, truth be told, may be 'getting something in place' here, too.

Not my first Land Cruiser rodeo

I'd expect not, being in a 7X.

There are many here that bull and bronco ride, rope, act the clown, pop the popcorn, dance like the little monkey and beer up the horses, simultaneously, as self contained, full retard rodeos, in and of themselves.

Something to be learned from everyone and everyone has something to educate others with...

If it ain't funny, it ain't nothing to get bent out of shape about, 'cause it ain't about 'your cage' specifically, nor was I/am I knocking your junk.
/QUOTE]

You're right about the triangulation, dick;), although there is some there you can't really see in the pics. And not bent out of shape here, just trying to add a little perspective between the extremes of the Toyota roll bar and a Nascar cage. Comparing the Toyota bar to what an exhaust shop would fabricate was funny.

I always hope to play the rodeo clown but end up looking like the dancing monkey (laughed at, not with).

Has anyone done a full interior cage (A, B, and C pillars) with plates tied into the frame on a 70? I'd like to see pics of that.

Can't quote text....

If your cage looked similar to this

image.jpeg

I'd have similar triangulation sentiments, because it's words that really don't have an intended target, per se.....being the anti-tech pariah, most of my words don't have much meaning, for what that's worth, but we of dry humor have a duty to share in the gritty, sandpaper like joy of life.

(That's the alternate offering perched upon that bird cage, Shaman.

Hope you're liking the OE parts more!)

Had a few bendtech drawings but so much of the frame and body was planned to be modified for suspension, they'd serve little purpose for this conversation.

None I've seen knew how to address the cabrio, so the rear cage may be sound, but front always looks like they gave up.

It was that or a virgin, commanded offerings according to Shamanistic lore, and the cage was a helluva lot easier to source and ship. ;)

As a matter of fact, hadn't seen the link until trying to figure out what you were talking about, and if you like it, great!]

Skip all steps planned before the above, take a lot of pics, because we all love the depths of those builds.

Again, I ain't knocking anything short of NASCAR certified cage, only saying there's a right way, all other ways, then there's Mr Ts seat belt mounting apparatus which, truth be told, may be 'getting something in place' here, too.

I'd expect not, being in a 7X.

There are many here that bull and bronco ride, rope, act the clown, pop the popcorn, dance like the little monkey and beer up the horses, simultaneously, as self contained, full retard rodeos, in and of themselves.

Something to be learned from everyone and everyone has something to educate others with...

I'm disappointed that you didn't follow up with a quote from Tropic Thunder I was hoping for.... what the ef?

I guess a good follow up question would be: does anyone know where I could get a drop in cage here in the states ala Metaltech or Redline?

Apart from the OE built for specific variants, I don't know that I've ever seen a drop in cage for a 70/73/74 anywhere on earth....ever.

Only a handful that produce for any 7X variant, for that matter.

@joekatana is the best bet for OE. To my knowledge, no other market has the OEs in any abundance outside the European he's wired into.

Don't know what the South American market offers as an OE source. They're there, at least.

@cruiseroutfit has the highest probability of offering something.

Metaltech is kinda like the 4WP for 120s and beyond, primarily marketing to newer platforms, LT trading a hood and welder for a headset and LCD screen some years back.

Being in LA, there are more than a few shops that could produce, but if I were you (and I'm not exaggerating) I'd head north to Stockton with fistfuls of hundreds, take @orangefj45 hostage, forcing disclosure of Metalangelo's secret shop, one with a drawbridge over a shark filled moat, and get a spot in line with the FC, for a product unlike anywhere on earth.

I'd bet cash money @sbechtold's already had his at Don's, so there may be familiarity brewing.

Go full retard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom