JDM HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

New here, I am looking into importing an hj 61 to the states from a Japanese auction. I really don't know to much about this. Does any one have any advice or experience with this?

Thank you for any help

if you want a 12ht in a 60 series, you might have better luck finding one from Australia then Japan because of production dates and US 'laws'.

another option is to wait a couple years until you can find a 25 year old truck from canada(already imported), theres always at least a couple for sale

as for how to import them, i cant help you but to say read up on the 'laws' and call US Customs to get the form required(or download them from their site?)

good luck, i think the hj61 high roof would be a dream rig

Thank you for your help. I will continue to look around and call US customs to figure out what I need to do if I go that route.

basically the rig has to be 25 years old or older. so you're working around 1986 model year right now. not many come up at auction in Japan anymore as they are getting quite old. Japanese ones are preferred due to to typically low kms vs Aus ones which tend to be higher kms and are used for what a cruiser is meant for... off road! Japan ones don't see allot of offroad and are typically fully featured.

Hi There, Have you thought about getting one from NZ? there are always some here ex japan, and some are in very good condition!
I have a HJ61 with 12HT and all the jap extras, cable diff locks, electric everything, suspension seats etc, I can check any out for you if you want? There is a nice one on trademe at the moment for $5500 NZD which is about $4500 USD.
Check out link: Toyota Landcruiser 1989 | Trade Me
Oh I think that one might be a 62...
but I know of a very very nice silver 61 for sale!
I have no idea about shipping etc, but im sure it cant be too hard to sort out.

Thank you HJ61 12HT, I would consider getting one from anyplace I could. I've read and have been told that the cruiser has to be 25 years old to legally bring it into the US. What year is the silver 61?

I just went and had a look at the silver HJ61, its a 1987 so almost 25 years!
Does it really need to be 1986?
There are a few down in the south island, thats where my one lived till I brought it up to auckland.
You want a 12HT I presume, there are a few 2h powered ones around.
It would easily be possible to buy a cheap 1986 with a 2h, and then buy a wrecked or rusty 61 with a good 12HT and swap the engines over... I think the 2h versions never had full floater rears though, so would be good to swap axles and everything.
Or even cheaper, a petrol 60 is worth almost nothing here, about $1800usd for a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom