JDM Hazard Switch Oddity - Rotating Knob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
So my 1981 BJ44 came with a hazard switch ( 84332-60011 ) that has a unique feature that I am trying to understand.

The knob pulls out like all hazard switches do, but when pushed in, you can twist the knob to the right and it will lock into the closed position. twist back to the left and it can be pulled back out. I have one in the truck that I cannot confirm works as intended so I am trying to find out how this was supposed to work and what the "locked" position does versus the unlocked. There are three wires running to the twist barrel in the switch so I am assuming it is meant for some difference in operation.

2020-10-07 09.19.26.jpg

2020-10-07 09.19.37.jpg

2020-10-07 09.20.02.jpg

Here's an update.

With hazard switch in standard position, if I pull out the knob, hazards do not flash. If I then push the turn signal switch to either side, hazards flash.

When I have the knob in and turned to the locked position, the front white parking lights in the turn signals and the license plate lights illuminate.

This is all with the truck off...

Does anyone know if this is the expected behavior?

My ‘81 BJ41 does not have this feature. The hazard knob just pulls straight out to turn on the hazard blinkers.

Thanks for looking! Yeah it seems the BJ44 has this and my rig seems to be a test vehicle and got some of the newer stuff... My rig has the dash panel, entry step in the passenger side rocker, and a few other goodies that most 1981s didn't have.

The search continues for answer to this mystery.

Thanks for looking! Yeah it seems the BJ44 has this and my rig seems to be a test vehicle and got some of the newer stuff... My rig has the dash panel, entry step in the passenger side rocker, and a few other goodies that most 1981s didn't have.

The search continues for answer to this mystery.
I will check my '81 BJ41 and will get back to you a.s.a.p.

It's a straight up single position switch on my 41 (hazard lights) would your switch possiblly be for the wiper system (Pos 1: ON SLOW speed; Pos 2 ON Hi speed and on the OFF position if twisted to the right is wiper ON (intermittent)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom