JDM engine/trans for HJ75 Troopie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ki7xh.com
Hi folks,

I posted this in the 70-series forum yesterday and it was recommended that I post it in the diesel forum as well.

I'd sincerely appreciate some engine advice for an Aussie-market HJ75 Troopie. It's a 1985 HJ75 that was used for railroad testing in and around Wyoming. (I took the Hi-Rail gear off long ago.) 90% of the mileage was on rails in 5th gear. (God only knows the idle time, though...) I've been sitting on this vehicle for about 16 years now, always hoping for the time to do a body-off restoration. The time has finally almost come.

The factory 2H is a little weak on oil pressure, and really gutless in the mountains. I'd originally considered rebuilding it and fitting an aftermarket turbo kit, but I had a really bad experience with a 2F rebuild I had done in Wyoming a few years ago.

I'm considering a JDM engine/transmission package, thinking the 12H-T is the way to go. From what I "think" I read years ago, it's a straightforward transplant. I built a 302 Ford powered FJ40 twenty years ago, and hope the 2H to 12H-T swap won't need as much creativity. I'd like to think I could have all my original gauges working, etc. I know the 12H-T is a strong, reliable engine, with a big following in the markets that get it.

Can anyone comment on the practicality of the 12H-T swap, or recommend something better?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'd like to swap to a 10 speed, at least... that would be unreal.

vrom, vroom vrooom, vroooooom, vrooooooooom, hahahah it would be great

Sounds like the 12HT would be a perfect swap for you! Because it uses the same motor mounts, bolts to your H55f, and will otherwise bolt up to just about everything in the engine bay.

A close second would be a 1HZ or 1HD (especially the turbo versions--aftermarket or OEM), but I understand that you would need some fabricating of various bits and pieces for that to work.

Also, if you do it, I know *someone* who might be interested in the used 2H...

Dan

Dan - Thanks for your input. The 12H-T is likely the way to go. I don't mind custom fabrication, but every now and then a mostly stock project is enjoyable too! Factory solutions are usually pretty sound.

As for the 2H, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I have an '85 FJ60 that might get it. This 60 was the one I had the 2F rebuilt in. I took the long block to a 'reputable' Wyoming machine shop, who proceeded to really stuff the rebuild. Head gasket on backwards (burned up the valve train), other things not sealed, timing gears ran dry until I discovered that, etc., etc... A horror story.

I know the 2H is used in forklifts in the USA, so maybe I can find a shop that knows its way around that engine. If I can get it rebuilt, then it will go in the 60 eventually.

Thanks again,

Darrin

"ummm, why not just rebuild the 2H and turbo it?"

I'd like to rebuild the 2H eventually and install it into our FJ-60. (Not sure if I'd turbo it...)

A local machine shop ruined the 2F in that vehicle on a rebuild some years ago, and everything else we use on the ranch is diesel. Not much use for gasoline. Goes bad too fast. And can't easily grow your own, either.

Nice. :). Just out of curiosity, was it a mine that used it or something, or the actual railroad company? Seems bizarre for them to use a cruiser, at least in the US.

The company that imported the HJ75 was a rail testing contractor from Oz. They used the HJ as a rail-capable support vehicle for a larger ultrasonic rail test car they also built and brought in from Australia.

Their US home-base was located in Guernsey, WY and they had a really nice building too. I think it became a craft store or the Chamber of Commerce or something after they went home.

When I had the chance to buy this vehicle a decade and a half ago, I didn't pass it up! We were a four-Cruiser family back then, and I'd always enjoyed the 70-series when Down Under.

I don't know how they managed it, but it even had a clear California title back in 1993. I have the original bill of sale/invoice too, from a Toyota dealer in Port Hedland.

Steering wheel on the right. Great for letting yourself out onto the sidewalk, horrible for passing trucks on two-lane country roads.

I unfortunately only found one photo from many years ago. (by the age of the F-250 in the background) I know I have more, including some of the big rail car SSTech tested tracks with, but heck if I can find 'em.

HJ75.jpg

The front frame extension was to hold the Hi-Rail gear. It was really heavy hanging way out there, so I took it off right after buying the vehicle.

The body is near perfect, and I brought a bunch of stuff home from Partington 4WD Spares in Townesville when I was there in 1996 (and you could still fly with whacky stuff). I have new marker lenses, new little dash pad, some heater control cables, etc.

It does need a total restoration, and I just hope the rat urine hasn't eaten the rust-free (when I put it away) body yet.

you don't want that old truck, let me take it off your hands... i will give it a good home.

WOW! what a cool truck and it's story makes it even more intresting! that truck would make a great base for an expedition vehicle!

I would love to get my hands on a 75 series troopie one day!

Freakin' A. That is a horrible vehicle. You don't want that, it only has a 2H. Slow... and hard to get parts for. I'll get it out of there for you next time I'm up that way. :). :flipoff2:
Ha ha. Just kidding. That is awesome. Hope the best for you. Pics??!! :).

the 12H-T sound perfect to me .. unless the same reason as always .. it's a old engine ( words from Wayne ) with no really big production ( actually only a couple of years ) and maybe little hard to get parts ..

... and maybe little hard to get parts ..

Realistically speaking, considering many parts from the 2H crosses over to the 12H-T, run of the mill parts are easy to procure. If you blow a head on the other hand...

The 12H-T is awesome...

I'm pretty sure most of issues can be easy solved with cross reference parts or 2H parts .. but if are less common are more expensive.

what a score! They must have got it through customs because it was an "industrial" vehicle, there are some exceptions for that.

I drove it for about three years, then parked it due to low oil pressure and the electronic fuel shutoff constantly shutting the engine off by itself. It finally got so bad I disconnected the control rod and was shutting the 2H down with a piece of baling twine out through the grill.

It's been in storage since maybe 1996 or '97.

The paint's gotta go. ;) So do the rat turds.

As for a great base for an expedition vehicle, I build a custom 4x4 26,000 lb. "base" for an expedition vehicle. Here's the last one (and another one is 75% complete)...

FM 4x4 Chassis

Thanks for all the offers to take the Troopie off my hands. I believe thepookiebear said it best... :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom