Builds JDM 73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was going to buy some screw-in rare earth magnets from Amazon and try it out

Hijacking this thread a bit, but those are knock-off’s of the One Stone armrests (which are made in China also). Reviews on AliExpress indicated that the padding comes off and the quality does look worse. I would personally go for the original since these still cost a fair bit with shipping.

It looks like the armrests were delivered to the wrong address.

I could also be dealing with the sh*tty factory toyota oil pressure sender. I replaced an aftermarket gauge that I didn't like the appearance of with a factory sender at the same time the turbo went in.

well i recovered from covid somewhat and got this thing mostly running again. some thoughts after my first test drive:

Oil pressure dropped a LOT after adding the turbo. should I be running a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo? or reroute the oil system? the way it is now, I teed the turbo oil feed off of the oil pressure sender port. I can see why the oil takes the path of lease resistance so should I separate the two or run a restrictor in the turbo feed line?

EGT's are high, like 700-800 on the flat highway at 55mph and jumping to 900-1000 with just slight throttle input. I used 2.5" tubing for the first half of the exhaust, i think i will redo it with 3" and use a less restrictive flange at the back of the turbo.
Glad you have recovered from the vid! 👍

Just adding the turbo should not affect the oil pressure in any way, and I would NOT try to restrict the oil flow to the turbo... I would rather think that somehow teeing off the oil sensor output has changed the way your sensor is picking up the pressure reading... 🤔

*edit* - Same engine - I was able to lower my EGT's around 200F by advancing the fuel a bit... makes for more clatter when first starting cold, but better performance once warmed up...

hmm, High EGT's usually mean over fuel and less air. You can run a quick test in a non-dusty environment and basically with no air filter connection to the turbo. Should boost like crazy and lower EGT. Maybe you have a bad restriction some where?

i'm going to change up the exhaust first, i used one of these flat plates off the back of the CT26:

View attachment 2812098
and then used 2.5" tubing from there to the t-case, then transition to 3" with no muffler.

So, I ordered a bunch more 3" elbows and straights, going to make the exhaust 100% 3" and use this style flange:

View attachment 2812105

I think my exhaust V1.0 is way too restrictive (at least i hope that's what it is)

this is the turbo i have for reference again, It was suggested to me in the G-turbo alternative thread. I didnt think it was too small? I mean people put disco potato T28's on 1HZ's. https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-Turbocharger-001-0923.htm?categoryId=-1

I have a 7lb spring in the wastegate and saw about 6.5PSI boost during my first test drive. would increasing the boost lower egt??

I think my exhaust V1.0 is way too restrictive (at least i hope that's what it is)

this is the turbo i have for reference again, It was suggested to me in the G-turbo alternative thread. I didnt think it was too small? I mean people put disco potato T28's on 1HZ's. https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-Turbocharger-001-0923.htm?categoryId=-1

I have a 7lb spring in the wastegate and saw about 6.5PSI boost during my first test drive. would increasing the boost lower egt??

Yes, increasing boost will lower/help EGT. I wouldn't think that turbo is too small for the 1HZ. The factory 12HT turbo is an 8cm housing.

A couple of free/easy tests would be clearing any intake restrictions/opening air filter to see how it goes. Also you can clamp your wastegaste off and see how it reacts.

I would think 2.5" exhaust would be sufficient, but if it's kinked or other issues it could cause more EGT. Anyway to test with just a straight down dump pipe?

Need to post this image somewhere so I can send it in a PM lol

pattern.jpg

I somehow inverted the H-N-L lever on the top of the T-case. I kinda like this though personally.

New twin stick boot works like a champ. Need to make a ring for it and get new front matting/carpet

Last edited:
Driven around town some since it's been running again, definitely seems the EGT's are lower with the new exhaust. I have a bleed valve that I can fine tune the boost with, as it seems it's only making about 7psi and i think 10 would bring the egt down a little bit more.

Bought some 17" FJCruiser Steelies and the ever popular 35x10.50 Kenda Klevers. In the 10+ years i've ordered tires online, today was the first time that only 3 arrived and the 4th is still a day away :rolleyes:
65783128792__680EE972-2D67-474E-81EC-28229BAE28E2.jpg

Look promising on the test fit:
IMG_6990.jpg

But in better news, got a good repair manual shipped from Oz:
IMG_6989.jpg

Anyway. hope the 4th tire arrives tomorrow at least. I think the 35's will get my highway RPM lower and put the motor in a better range for the turbo.

Driven around town some since it's been running again, definitely seems the EGT's are lower with the new exhaust. I have a bleed valve that I can fine tune the boost with, as it seems it's only making about 7psi and i think 10 would bring the egt down a little bit more.

Bought some 17" FJCruiser Steelies and the ever popular 35x10.50 Kenda Klevers. In the 10+ years i've ordered tires online, today was the first time that only 3 arrived and the 4th is still a day away :rolleyes:
View attachment 2830870

Look promising on the test fit:
View attachment 2830871

But in better news, got a good repair manual shipped from Oz:
View attachment 2830872

Anyway. hope the 4th tire arrives tomorrow at least. I think the 35's will get my highway RPM lower and put the motor in a better range for the turbo.

I'm running those same tires with 17" 4Runner steelies (7"wide vs 7.5 on the FJ), with a 1" spacer. So far I have been very pleased with them. They are so much quieter on the road than my previous BFGs. They look good on your truck, and hope you are able to remedy the tri-pod situation soon. I don't have a tach and would be interested in your hwy RPM's when you get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom