Builds JDM 73 (7 Viewers)

Hijacking this thread a bit, but those are knock-off’s of the One Stone armrests (which are made in China also). Reviews on AliExpress indicated that the padding comes off and the quality does look worse. I would personally go for the original since these still cost a fair bit with shipping.

well i recovered from covid somewhat and got this thing mostly running again. some thoughts after my first test drive:

Oil pressure dropped a LOT after adding the turbo. should I be running a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo? or reroute the oil system? the way it is now, I teed the turbo oil feed off of the oil pressure sender port. I can see why the oil takes the path of lease resistance so should I separate the two or run a restrictor in the turbo feed line?

EGT's are high, like 700-800 on the flat highway at 55mph and jumping to 900-1000 with just slight throttle input. I used 2.5" tubing for the first half of the exhaust, i think i will redo it with 3" and use a less restrictive flange at the back of the turbo.

I could also be dealing with the sh*tty factory toyota oil pressure sender. I replaced an aftermarket gauge that I didn't like the appearance of with a factory sender at the same time the turbo went in.

well i recovered from covid somewhat and got this thing mostly running again. some thoughts after my first test drive:

Oil pressure dropped a LOT after adding the turbo. should I be running a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo? or reroute the oil system? the way it is now, I teed the turbo oil feed off of the oil pressure sender port. I can see why the oil takes the path of lease resistance so should I separate the two or run a restrictor in the turbo feed line?

EGT's are high, like 700-800 on the flat highway at 55mph and jumping to 900-1000 with just slight throttle input. I used 2.5" tubing for the first half of the exhaust, i think i will redo it with 3" and use a less restrictive flange at the back of the turbo.
Glad you have recovered from the vid! 👍

Just adding the turbo should not affect the oil pressure in any way, and I would NOT try to restrict the oil flow to the turbo... I would rather think that somehow teeing off the oil sensor output has changed the way your sensor is picking up the pressure reading... 🤔

*edit* - Same engine - I was able to lower my EGT's around 200F by advancing the fuel a bit... makes for more clatter when first starting cold, but better performance once warmed up...

FJBen

SILVER Star
hmm, High EGT's usually mean over fuel and less air. You can run a quick test in a non-dusty environment and basically with no air filter connection to the turbo. Should boost like crazy and lower EGT. Maybe you have a bad restriction some where?

i'm going to change up the exhaust first, i used one of these flat plates off the back of the CT26:

51YRF76BbgL._AC_SY355_.jpg

and then used 2.5" tubing from there to the t-case, then transition to 3" with no muffler.

So, I ordered a bunch more 3" elbows and straights, going to make the exhaust 100% 3" and use this style flange:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I think my exhaust V1.0 is way too restrictive (at least i hope that's what it is)

this is the turbo i have for reference again, It was suggested to me in the G-turbo alternative thread. I didnt think it was too small? I mean people put disco potato T28's on 1HZ's. https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-Turbocharger-001-0923.htm?categoryId=-1

I have a 7lb spring in the wastegate and saw about 6.5PSI boost during my first test drive. would increasing the boost lower egt??

FJBen

SILVER Star
I think my exhaust V1.0 is way too restrictive (at least i hope that's what it is)

this is the turbo i have for reference again, It was suggested to me in the G-turbo alternative thread. I didnt think it was too small? I mean people put disco potato T28's on 1HZ's. https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-Turbocharger-001-0923.htm?categoryId=-1

I have a 7lb spring in the wastegate and saw about 6.5PSI boost during my first test drive. would increasing the boost lower egt??

Yes, increasing boost will lower/help EGT. I wouldn't think that turbo is too small for the 1HZ. The factory 12HT turbo is an 8cm housing.

A couple of free/easy tests would be clearing any intake restrictions/opening air filter to see how it goes. Also you can clamp your wastegaste off and see how it reacts.

I would think 2.5" exhaust would be sufficient, but if it's kinked or other issues it could cause more EGT. Anyway to test with just a straight down dump pipe?

Need to post this image somewhere so I can send it in a PM lol

pattern.jpg

I somehow inverted the H-N-L lever on the top of the T-case. I kinda like this though personally.

Still waiting on new oil pan and exhaust stuff to arrive 😴

The cruiser originally had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge screwed to the far right edge of the dash. I didn’t like it, and installed a new Toyota sender for the factory gauge. But apparently the gauge is the problem so I installed a cheap Bosch mechanical gauge in a more discrete place next to the Aubers.
BEBFD445-D43E-470C-A3C4-3FA45CBFD9CC.jpeg

Ignore the two stick fiasco down there. I installed part of the linkage in mirror image and the H-N-L pattern is reversed from the typical. And the cheesy twin stick boots had to be cut wide open to allow enough travel. Still looking for a good quality boot that allows the sticks enough travel.

Metal knobs are blanks from JB Custom Fab in Salem, OR. I stamped em with the correct pattern. Which interestingly enough is the same as a twin stick Suzuki Samurai. Roadless Gear sells this which gets me thinking….
2D80D0E2-CFC0-40A8-BCDD-A8A149C543C1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom