JD Cruiser's 1981 BJ42 Body Repair & Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cresent Wrench,
You mentioned early in my thread about how easy it will be for me to put this back together and if I was taking medication for my OCD.... LOL... Not really on meds, but maybe should be... LOL... truth be told, I have a terrible memory and I am out of my comfort zone with this frame off as I have never taken on anything like this before. So, just to show you some of my OCD traits, below are some pictures of my parts management system. Everything is being bagged or tagged and put in totes or specific storage areas of the house. Each tag or bag is numbered with the picture reference number which is by date and number (ie. 20150416-003). This all then gets put into an excel sheet that identifies the part by the picture number and where it is stored (bin # and location). That way I can quickly search out the list for parts that I need in the rebuild process and where it is stored. The reason why I use the date as the main ID number is so that I know when it came off the truck, thus I can literally know how to rebuild it by looking at the pics in reverse order. This was a system that a friend of mine who restored a mustang used and he found it very useful. One thing I would do differently is to do the same ID type of thing with a connector list. I have been tagging connectors with descriptions of what they are connected to and if there is confusion then I do the A-A type method, but would be useful to have a full list with reference pics like I have with parts. The one good thing that I find is Toyota is pretty good with pokayoking their connectors such that only one will connect to one other as it is restricted by male and female unique size and and shape. Here are some pics...

View attachment 1065703

View attachment 1065704

View attachment 1065705
Better make a backup of that spreadsheet, or you may be cursing Bill Gates one day.

Nice progress JD. Let me when your ready to lift the body off and I'll stop by and give you a hand. I can bring 1 or 2 of my boys with me if need be.

Better make a backup of that spreadsheet, or you may be cursing Bill Gates one day.

Lol.... Got in 2 backup spots every week with all the pics... along with printed hardcopies...

Nice progress JD. Let me when your ready to lift the body off and I'll stop by and give you a hand. I can bring 1 or 2 of my boys with me if need be.

Rosey,
That is awesome, thanks, will definitely take you up on that offer. Was thinking an 3rd or 4th guy to help would be ideal to ensure we don't twist anything (either the truck nor our oldselves... lol). Will let you know and have your beverage of choice well stocked and on hand :) At the same time, wanna get your take on the best way to pull engine / tran and what you think needs done to it.... That will will make for good conversation as we enjoy a couple pops from the heavy lifting!!!! LOL.

Jeez, I just wrote you a long winded reply hit send and It disappeared. Anyway it's looking great, PM me if you have questions about engine lifting techniques, the long and short of it is once the tub is off lift the engine and transmission as a unit. Cheers

Back at It.... Bracing FR Doors
Hello again... Well the summer has been a great one, lots of time at my new trailer (33 foot 3 slide Spree) where I put all my cruiser money... lol... was awesome with the family, but not much progress on the truck, in fact up until last weekend the cruiser looked more like a storage platform for summer stuff... but now it is time to get back at her... My next step was to brace the front door openings in prep for the body to be taken off the frame, a big milestone in my repair venture. Below are some pics, a couple of my youngest daughter, Lyla now 6 years old... she kinda represents my project duration / timeline as I started the repair when my was about 25 weeks pregnant with her... She has never seen the truck run, so sad!

The 2nd picture is Lyla doing what she does best after she gets tired of helping me on the truck... she grabs a marker and blackens my tires... So cute... she is a little fashion girl and very keen on clean black tires... LOL, too cute!!! She claims I am going to have the blackest tires on the trail!!!

LC-20151107-001 - Lyla Helping secure a brace (Mud).jpg

LC-20151107-002 - Lyla Blackening my Tires (Mud).jpg

LC-20151107-003 - Passenger Side Door Bracing (Mud).jpg

LC-20151107-004 - Door Bracing Complete (Mud).jpg

In hindsight I wonder if this would have been the way to go, in the end my stainless tub will be a show pony but it was a big chunk of cash. It's looking very good JD, keep the pics coming.

Body Mount Cutting
Well last weekend, I took a long awaited step in my rebuild, I cut the Mid and Front Body mounts out. This now separates the body from the frame. Here are some of the pics from the body mount removal.

LC-20151113-001 - P Side Mid Body Mount Removal Pic 1 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151114-001 - Body Mount Cutting P Side Mid Pic 1 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151114-003 - Body Mount Cutting P Side Front (Mud).jpg

LC-20151114-004 - Body Mount Cutting P Side Front Hardware (Mud).jpg

LC-20151114-005 - Body Mount Cutting D Side Front (Mud).jpg

Leaf Spring Removal from Rear Axle
I need to make room in the 2nd half of the garage in order to fabricate the stand and store the tub so I can continue working on the frame and getting preped for blasting and galvanizing. So wish I had a 4 car garage. My game plan is to take the leaf springs off the rear axle (has to be done at some point as I will be going with a OME Dakar 2.5" lift set of springs) and then tuck the wheels and rear axle back under the frame to make more room. After the tub is off, I will then move it into final position along with FR axle and take the wheels off. I tried everything to get the nuts on the U bolts to free up... Let them soak for a week in PB blaster, torched them, cranked up my impact wrench to 120psi, no go, they wouldn't budge.... so out with the cutoff disks to cut the U bolts. Worked pretty good, was extremely careful to not nick into the rear axle housing. The tension in the U bolts helped with that on the first cut, they really popped when I was down to about an 1/8" in the U bolt left cross section while cutting. Here are some pics of the cutting.

LC-20151122-001 - Rear Leaf Spring P Side Removal - Pic 1 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151128-002 - Rear Leaf Spring P Side Removal - Pic 2 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151128-003 - Rear Leaf Spring P Side Removed - Pic 3 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151128-004 - Rear Leaf Spring P Side Removed - Pic 2 (Mud).jpg

LC-20151128-005 - Rear Leaf Spring P Side Main Bracket (Mud).jpg

Here is the result - axle with the springs off... mount points and lower clamp plate look good, rust didn't get at them too too bad.

View attachment 1168704

View attachment 1168705
Looking good, I had to use a gas axe to remove my spring ubolt and hangers. Nothing like black smoke and the smell of burning rubber to earn the wrath of the little woman. They scare so easily....anyway what I found best was to make a large pile of items to want blasted and have them go over everything, it's worth it in the long run and it makes painting the Por15 or powder coating of your choice that much easier. Starting with clean steel is really the only way to stop the rust and it will last the longer too. Enjoying watching your build, keep it up.

Stand Complete:
Hello Again. It has been a long time since I have been on here or at the truck. Summer was crazy busy with life, enjoying our trailer, and vacations. Disappointed at what I got done last fall and winter so looking to make it a focus this year and I think I have wifey on board. Last weekend I put the last few hours needed into the dolly / stand that I need for the tub. I created a stand on caster wheels which makes it easy to push around my garage and move the tub without needing to lift / rig it around to minimize risk of distortion. I also built it so that it only has 3 sides / walls, that way the one long side is fully open so I can easily get underneath it to work on the underbody / mounts. I though of making a rotisserie, that would be ideal but couldn't come up with a proper gameplan or setup that wouldn't flex the body a great deal and as you can see from the pics, there is not much left of the rear end, just a skeleton with bracing. Worried it would deflect. Here are some pics. Next up is removal of the tub.
LC-20160921-001 - Completed Tub Dolly Stand - Pic 1.jpg

LC-20160921-002 - Completed Tub Dolly Stand - Pic 2.jpg

Tub Removal - It is now Officially a Frame Off Resto!

Today I spent the better part of it in the garage cleaning it up to make room for the tub off lift and positioning on the stand I made. Other than me being off pretty bad on the center of gravity point with the hoist hook and needing to put my wife to work to balance the rear end out, it went quite well. Last week I bought a 2 Ton Hydraulic boom crane from Princess auto, was $350... figured it would come in very handy for not just removing the tub (that could be man handled easy enough with a couple of buddies) but for the transmission, engine removal as well as manipulating the axles around. Also, never a bad thing to have around the shop for loading stuff in and out of the truck.

The stand worked relatively well... I like the 3 side concept, but the middle support even though I doubled up the square tubing and put gussets in deflects alot, so much that it allowed the tub to rock on it so I had to play with the blocking it more on that end. Is pretty stable sitting on it and I like the caster wheels so I can move it around the shop as needed. With both the tube off and the frame / engine sections separate now space is getting limited in the garage, so nice to have the tub movable.

Here are some pics. Very nice to see the tub off and hit the milestone. With the engine and guts exposed (as my youngest daughter said), it seems to feel a lot closer to the start of rebuilding rather than just taring apart. This week and weekend, will remove a few of the engine components to get ready for the transmission / engine removal. I also have to do some research on the best approach, eng / transmission in one shot or separately... If anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to share.

LC-20160925-001 - Tub Removal Pic 1 (Mud).jpg

LC-20160925-002 - Tub Removal Pic 2 (Mud).jpg

LC-20160925-003 - Tub on Stand (Mud).jpg

Radiator Removal
This weekend I worked closer towards getting the truck ready to pull the engine out. I removed the radiator, was stubborn as the drain plug was seized solid int he down spout, so I had to drain it by pulling off the lower drain hose, what a mess but it worked. The nuts on the lower support studs were rusted on pretty good but nothing a little lube and muscle couldn't handle. After that it popped right off. Rad isn't in too bad of shape. Here are some pics from the removal. There was also an inline pump that the previous owner fitted it with, has 120V plug on it so figured he used it to keep the coolant from freezing as he lived in Northern Ontario.

LC-20161109-015 - Inline Coolant pump Pic (Mud).jpg

LC-20161109-017 - Radiator Removal - Top Rad Hose Routing (Mud).jpg

LC-20161109-019 - Radiator & Fan Shroud Assembly Removed Pic 1 (Mud).jpg

LC-20161109-020 - Radiator & Fan Shroud Assembly Removed Pic 2 (Mud).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom