1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JCWhitney Feedback??

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I need to get a few small parts for the Ghia, and I got the JCWhitney VW catalog. I have never used them before, but the prices look good, and the parts I need are from name brand co's(sold be JC). So let me know what you think about JCWhitney, are they good? IS the quality good? I have only ever heard neg things about JC, is that true?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

For VW parts, try the VW Parts Place catalog. I think they are out of Ohio. Back when I had a Scirocco, I bought lots of stuff from them. I've only ever bought from J.C. Whitney one time. Pretty basic, decent prices. I'd buy from them again, but I would also look around first.

3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

JCW seems to be a huge place specializing mostly in cheaper lower quality stuff from what I could tell. Good place if you look for that I guess, lots of choice.
    On brand stuff, their prices are not quite as good as much of the Internet places from what I recall.

4. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I used to own an old Bug and bought way too many VW parts. JC Whitney doesn't sell many good quality parts. But then again, many of the vendors you see in the VW magazines don't either. What are you needing to buy? If it's any kind of sheet metal whether it be body parts, trim, engine tin, etc., the only way to go is the factory German parts. The used stuff is much better than what you can buy these days. I miss my old Bug........

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

When I renewed a beetle a couple of years ago I used three places based on availability, price and reputation. JC Whitney was the only one I remember off the top of my head. They had pretty good prices for cheap products. They are also very close to Naperville so I got the parts fast.

They have been sending me VW catalogs every damn week since then though.

6. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    you get what you pay for with whitney's if it seems cheap...it's because it is.

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

I've bought stuff from JC Whitney many years ago, they have always had obscure parts, like 2" lift shackles for a FJ40 for like $18 each (had to wade through all the jxxp stuff but they useto be in there), 10:1 cast pistons for a small-block-ford for cheap...wierd things like that, stuff you had no idea what name-brand it was, but somehow they carried it.

On their actual name-brand stuff I have not noticed major savings, but I haven't really compared alot...

8. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    there really isn't that much of a savings on the good stuff. if it's a low quality item, the savings are decent. as much as i don't think they're great, i also miss them being so close...things like steeringwheel covers and floormats and such.

9. ar2stp48

ar2stp48

Have bought a few things from them over the years, mostly stuff that wasnt critical for quality. Stuff is ok, and compared to the import crap from a lot of the big ads in the vw mags each month, JCW is darn good quality. bought several items from one of the major ads in vw mag and all was pure crap.