JBL System--Door Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need new door speakers (front for sure, but I'll probably do all 4 at the same time) for my 2004 LC with JBL system and Nav. I read the "Front Speakers" thread and some of the other threads/write-ups linked in that thread, but I still have some questions. My goals are (i) easy install and (ii) improved sound quality (keeping in mind that I'm keeping the rest of my system stock). Here are some questions:

Will all new speakers require me to cut the ring off the old speaker and to fabricate a way to use that ring with my new speakers? I cant tell if that's just to avoid using shallow mount speakers. I think I'd live with shallow mount speakers to avoid having to do the ring cutting/adaptation.

Are my JBL speakers 2 ohm like the speakers in the Levinson system?

What are the best speakers for me to use? It seemed like there were a lot of recommendations for Infinity 6032s. Are those good speakers or just inexpensive speakers? If I can improve quality over stock, I'd like to, even if it costs a few extra bucks. That said, I'm not doing a new amp, etc., so there's no sense in having speakers that are way too good for the system driving them.

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions.

I'm in the middle of the same quandry as you with my 06 LC. Consensus on Mud seems to be that the Infinity are a step up vs stock, but for real improvements you will need to bypass (or replace which may be troublesome) the factory amp & run your own 5 channel amp.

I'm now looking at some of the Infinity Kappa 62 series or Infinity Reference 6030 for the front doors, with cross over & tweeter (b/c you really shouldn't keep the factory JBL tweeter if you are replacing the mid). Haven't pulled everything apart on the rear yet to see what we actually have there. Most of the replacement threads are for 99-03 LC/LX, and some of the specs have changed (specifically the Subs) for the newer 100s.

Front speakers are 2ohm and rear are 2.3 ohm (at least according to markings on them). I have LC 04. Replaced front/rear with Polk DB651. These are 4ohm. I pulled the speakers out and asked the audio shop to put new speakers into the old "brackets" - $10 a pair seem to be reasonable to me.
Polks are definitely better than JBL, but quite far in overall quality compared to sound in my GX 470.
jbl_front.jpg
jbl_rear.jpg

Last edited:
If I elect just to put the Infinity shallow mounts in both the front and the back, will having a 2 ohm speaker (instead of the stock 2.3 ohm speaker) cause problems? I've never seen 2.3 ohms as the advertised spec.

Also, the Infinities' specs say they are 2 ohm, but their sales pitch says this:

"True Four Ohms— All Reference speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Reference Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I don't want 2 ohm speakers that look like 4 ohm speakers to my head unit if my head unit is best with 2 ohm speakers that look like 2 ohm speakers.

Thanks again for input/suggestions

There's good basic information at Crutchfield on impedance in their FAQs on amps:

Car Amplifiers FAQ

I wouldn't worry too much about being perfect with impedance. Replacement speakers will work well with the factory amp whether they are 2 or 4 ohm. At very high power levels things might get too hot or too distorted if impedance isn't matched, but for all normal sound levels and occasional high volumes, there won't be a problem. You'll get as many opinions on which speakers sound best as there are number of speakers available. Everyone hears sound differently and likes different kinds of audio. I like the Infinity Kappa a lot and they have a bright, clean sound.

So, while I'm at my speaker replacement, I'd like to replace or re-do the cloth covered trim that covers the speakers (mine is a bit dirty/shabby). Has anyone done this? If so, do you recover the piece or just buy new ones?

ebod said:
So, while I'm at my speaker replacement, I'd like to replace or re-do the cloth covered trim that covers the speakers (mine is a bit dirty/shabby). Has anyone done this? If so, do you recover the piece or just buy new ones?

Check out AATLAS1X's build thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom