Japanese? LHD BJ74 spotted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
brightflock.com
Was driving down the Pat Bay Highway in Victoria today when I noticed a BJ74 with Alberta plates. At the bottom of the rear doors were the japanese stickers you commonly see on JDM 74s, so I assumed it was a JDM. But then as I pulled beside it, I saw that it was LHD. What's the deal?

may have been converted.

i saw one for sale in vancouver a while ago, so i called the guy and asked WTF?

he said he swapped all the minky RHD shizo for LHD stuff.

i guess the 70series is easy (for some) to do.

if i remember right, he said he got his s*** for the conversion from G&S, our boys :grinpimp: in vancouver.

someone else know of any others that have been done???

crusty

I'd never swap mine out. I love right-hand-drive. I prefer it to the usual any day.

I agree I see no reason why you would want to go through the effort and/or expense of swapping from RHD to LHD???? Easy or not, it still would take significant time. I can think of many, many , many other things I would rather spend my time and money on moding my truck.

Plus the stares you get with RHD drive are priceslless, especially when the wife is asleep or reading a paper on long drives...or the dog is in the truck... etc... It is just great... I need to start bringing a video camera with me to capture some of this.

Todd

skinny said:
I agree I see no reason why you would want to go through the <snip?
Plus the stares you get with RHD drive are priceslless, especially when the wife is asleep or reading a paper on long drives...or the dog is in the truck... etc... It is just great... I need to start bringing a video camera with me to capture some of this.

Todd

I'd have to agree, the looks are priceless. The best one was going thru a RCMP counterattack roadblock one night in my rhd fj45, officer comes up to the lefthand side, looks at my dog, and then ask's if the dogs been drinking. Then just waved me on thru :)

Agreed... why would anyone switch? Some people just cannot get their little heads around the idea of the wheel on the "wrong" side. I actually prefer RHD!

dieseldog said:
I'd never swap mine out. I love right-hand-drive. I prefer it to the usual any day.

In RHD the speed secuence in the tranny is the same for LHD ..? 1st in left and 5 in right .. ?

Yup everything is the same, even the location of the pedals. The only thing that messed me up for the first little while is the wiper and signals as they are reversed. When I go to turn I would turn on my wipers and vice versa.

Todd

I have yet to drive one, but I know it will be more confertable, that way I can steer with my right (I'm right handed) and shift with my left, should owrk out much better

RHD allows me to tan both arms evenly.:cool:

Simply driving RHD took me about 30 seconds to get used to. No sweat. Yes, the usual wiper/signal mix-up. :)

What took the the longest time to get used to (a half day?) was looking up the the left to look thru the rear view mirror. It was weird. After 30+ years of driving, up and right was ingrained. Now its now problem as I drive RHD & LHD every day.

The JDM Cruisers - and someone can correct me if they have more knowledge because mine is this way - come with both L & R side view mirrors convex. So, you get a wide angle view on both sides - great for blind spots. Just don't back up looking thru the side mirrors. And no warning printed on the mirror.

See some of you tomorrow at Cruiser Days. :)

Bruce

my dad who is definately old school caught on in minutes to driving RHD vehicles. almost ANYONE that will allow themselves to test drive a RHD with a good teacher will be able to drive RHD. i have had only 1 out of over 350 test drivers not get the hang of it. he has been back about 3 times and even he is getting much better.
if you can drive LHD, you can drive RHD.
cheers

Ya but what about the drive through window . Should we ask tim hortons to have both or do you back through!

lol

People are always asking me how I can drive on the right. I tell them that I sit 30 inches from where I would be in a NA version of this truck...these aren't hummers...it's not like the seats are 6' apart! If I want a donut from Timmies...I reach across easily.

silvercrusher said:
Ya but what about the drive through window . Should we ask tim hortons to have both or do you back through!

lol

:D Best idea evar

yes there are ingenious cures to most problems. one guy i know uses one of those rods with a claw at the end to swipe his card to go into his building parking lot and to push buttons for access...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom