1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan visit

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by atijerino, Aug 1, 2005.

1. atijerino

atijerino

I came back from my vacation to Japan last week and had a ball, while there I was always on the lookout for LCs and it was amazing to see lots of FZJ80 and most of them were pretty well outfitted, they all have the spare tire on the back, as a stock feature and most of them are diesel and with great lift kits. While driving around in Kobe one night I spotted a 4X4 store specializing on Landcruisers, the next day I tried to find the place and could not remember where is was, there were a couple of very well outfitted cruisers parked in the front that night.
    I noticed the following: What we call here the Lexus GS470 is the Landcruiser Prado and what we call here the Lexus LX470 is called the Landcruiser Cygnus. I took a few pictures from the cruisers I spotted while driving around and some were pretty high to the ground. I guess they are going to start marketing the Lexus brand in Japan, I saw a new dealership being built with the Lexus log outside the building.
    I was able to go to Nagoya to the Toyota factory (Toyota City) and went into the Toyota Automobile museum, they did not have any Landcruisers on display, but they had other great cars on display, the most amazing was the Toyota GT2000, I guess it was very popular in Japan and still has a cult following, I think it was even in one of the early James Bond movies.

Enjoy the photos.

2. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Yea, those sure are some nice ones. If only I could get my hands on one of those diesels....

3. barrypt5

barrypt5

Yes a diesel would be nice....keep posting pics if you have them...also i am so jealous i would love to go to japan...so no luck getting a tour of the toyota factory? of do they not do those?

4. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

So what you got from Japan?Any LC stuff? Also share with us how much the round trip cost? :grinpimp:

5. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

How was the conversation there? They speak ill English, you had translator, book, know Japaneese? I would love to go there, half to just see what they have for LCs, and to shop for all the cheap electronics they have there, but I've always been drawn by Asian cultures...that and Germany, but there's a whole 'nother story.

6. mot

mot

Glad to hear that you had fun!

Not all the 80's have tire carriers and there shouldn't have been too many diesel 80's in Tokyo, Nagoya, and Kobe (recent emission restrictions/regulations).

I believe you can take tours at Toyota factories in/around Toyota w/o making an appointment as long as they are open, etc... But if you want a tour of other plants in other locations, you would have to make a reservation (I've only tried at the Tahara plant before. Not very easy to do, I believe, at Toyota Boshoku/Araco.)

Yeah, the Toyota museum is a pretty cool place to visit with the 2000GT and many other Toyota's and other manufacturers historical vehicles.

Thanks for the pics!

BTW, what brought you to Japan, any relatives (wife, GF, friend, work, etc...) or just decided to come? How long were you here for? What was your favorite and least favorite things about Japan?

Anyway, glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Mot

7. atijerino

atijerino

I have a brother that is a profesor at the Kwansei Gakuin University and he invited me to spend a week with him without the wife or the kids, his wife and kids are in the US for the summer, so we had a chance to do whatever we wanted and whenever. I was there for a week, but was not enough to see everything I wanted. I spend 2 days in Nagoya visiting the World's Expo 2005 which by the way is sponsored by Toyota, their Pavillion was incredible, something out this world, they had a wind orchestra all made up by Toyota robots and sounded just like any other orchestra, they had a display for the next generation formula racer and they had a show with a single seater concept car that as it builds speed it streches and becomes more aerodynamic.
    The think that I like the most was the food, I am very open minded when it comes to food and I tried everything. The thing I liked the least was the cost of transportation, I spend lots of money in bus/train fares, gas and toll roads, most freeways are toll roads.

8. mot

mot

Antonio,

Just like the old days, eh? That was very nice of your wife to let you do that. ;)

My wife and I have been meaning to go to the Expo, too, but have not made it there, yet. I heard you spend a lot of time waiting for many pavillions, etc... but the wait is worth it, for the most part.

Did you use the rail pass which could be purchased by anyone living abroad (even Japanese) before arriving here. You could use the JR train system (and possibly other transportation means) for a week, 2 weeks, etc... for excellent prices (as much as you can ride, including the bullet trains w/in that time period).

Anyway, glad that you tried different kinds of food and that you liked them.

Mot :)

9. medtro

medtro

I like the Ramen Museum :)

10. mot

mot

I've never been to that one (in Yokohama?). :rolleyes:

There is a "Nissin" factory near by that I've been wanting to see if they let you take a tour in. (Cup Noodles).

Mot ;)

11. elum

elum

drinks are expensive as heck as well in Japan..

As for the LEXUS thing.. I saw them building a new LEXUS dealership on the north part of Naha in Okinawa...

12. medtro

medtro

It is in Shin Yokohama.

13. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Sounds like a good time. My friend Joe just got back from teaching over there for a year(had some funny stories to). Was telling me about how they have a old car tax over there. So all the old cars he saw were in great shape.

14. mot

mot

There are at least two Lexus dealers that are being built here in my city.

Mot

15. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

uff nice .. I hope I can someday doing trip to Japan .. to know the Arakawa Co .. :D

From Japan .. hummm some cute Jap girls .. and all Sushi that I can eat .. :D

16. Cruiser Jimmy

Cruiser Jimmy Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The fertility museum in Nagoya is the best.