JAN ROTM: Rug Road > Turkey Creek Jan 13-14 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
UPDATE:
January's ROTM will be in the SE part of our state. For Valley dwellers, we will meet Saturday January 13th @ 7:00am at the Gold Canyon Chevron. Here is the address: 3265 S Goldfield Rd, Apache Junction, AZ 85219. Please allow for enough time to get there as we are trying to stay on schedule and pull out around 7:15?

We will then drive to Mammoth and arrive in around 8:40am. We will do a final top off at the Circle K gas station (has only 2 pumps) located here: 307 AZ-77, Mammoth, AZ 85618. We can meet at the gas station and head out from there.
We will want to hit dirt and be on the trail at 9:00AM.

Looking forward to it! Murf

We will then head south from Superior to the small mining town of Mammoth (We can meet any Southern CSC'r there) and head into the wilderness for the long trek to Aravipa/Turkey Creek canyon for camping that evening.

NOTE: This is NOT a stocker friendly trail, its long and tough and will take all day. (i.e., at one point, there is a basketball sized boulder field that stretches for almost a mile) We wont get home until Sunday night if all goes well. Required minimum 33's, a rear locker, suspension lift, and mechanically sound rig to make this trail. It will be freezing cold so bring all your cold weather gear and thermal undies. This run is in a very isolated & remote part of the state so there will be no Starbucks options. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
I like it! A tough guy trail!

We are in.

Planning to join in.

No Starbucks?! :coffee: that's a deal killer for me.

Maybe Red Steve @Stepmurr will bring tortillas and we can cook brats and wrap in corn tortillas

Could we entice you with green corn tamales?

Any food with slightly Mexican elements should be enticement enough. Tamales? Done. Eggs with salsa? Done. A plain avocado? Done. Tortillas dipped in a jar of cold queso? Done.

I am tentative for the run at this point.

It has been a wile since I have put the skid plates to use and beat the hell out of myself on that boulder field, Lol.

Work will probably throw a monkey wrench into this, but sounds fun.

It has been a wile since I have put the skid plates to use and beat the hell out of myself on that boulder field, Lol.

It's the beat the hell out of myself why I wouldn't consider it. Done that too many times in my 68 when I was younger to even think about it again. I was reading with interest until the mile long Boulder field. My lower back spoke up and said pass.

It's the beat the hell out of myself why I wouldn't consider it. Done that too many times in my 68 when I was younger to even think about it again. I was reading with interest until the mile long Boulder field. My lower back spoke up and said pass.

The scenery is totally worth it, camping out afterwards in Turkey Creek to lick the wounds is priceless.
Never found a driver who wanted to go back the way in though..:confused:

I was wondering if the return trip was the same way there. Been on hunting trips up north where I stopped and checked the FS map to be sure the the way I was headed had another way out. If not would decide if it was worth it to go on. Short wheel base FJ40s are great off-road. But that SWB and stiff leaf springs are hard on the back.

I was wondering if the return trip was the same way there. Been on hunting trips up north where I stopped and checked the FS map to be sure the the way I was headed had another way out. If not would decide if it was worth it to go on. Short wheel base FJ40s are great off-road. But that SWB and stiff leaf springs are hard on the back.

It wasn’t the same route out the last time I ran it, we chose a very peaceful route out, you could probably find a couple folks that might want to just meet at the camp spot and miss the excitement of metal scraping against rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom