Jan 1972 Carb. This doesn’t seem normal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After rebuilding my 1971 carb, And watching a few @pinhead YouTube videos, I noticed that the 72 carburetor I have has two primary Venturi rather than a primary and secondary.
7C2B3002-E3A4-4FDF-9F8C-FFDFCF62C5A3.jpeg

Both have the exact same #4 stamped on top.
C332A76B-2B31-489B-BED1-FF3BC45B081B.jpeg

My questions:
1) I removed this carb from my truck due to stumbling off idle. What effect would having two primary emulsion tubes have on performance at almost 6000 ft.
2) Is this something that someone would do on purpose at altitude? Or do you think someone just threw in an extra they had without any forethought about how it might affect performance? Any other ideas why someone would do this? My only thought is that this ‘72 carb has the shorter primary slow jet so maybe this one was all they could find to fit?
3) Right now I am using an older carb in poorer condition than this one. So, just trying to figure out how to get the best carb out of the two that I have.

Thoughts on this “double primary” setup?

The carb in my '72 has two #2 venturis in it. Think its fairly common, as most of the how-to rebuild threads have also had matching venturis.

Thank you. Good to know.

Any idea what the numbers mean? Maybe it is size of the emulsion tube? I wonder if the #4 is appropriate for where I live here in Denver? I will research a bit more here on MUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom